300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Safety/ Backup

Just wanna hear from people about how far away there nearest backup is at times? In the academy your taught to have the advantage but hard to do when your by yourself and you might need help

when i first started, we were so short handed that if i were to get into a foot chase, i might as well not have called it in because nobody was available to back me up anyway. today, we're pretty much close to full staff so back up isnt that far away.
    "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
    William Shatner

Comment

hey

Comment

In uniform, at times it was more than 15 minutes away. That seems like a lifetime. Usually it was anywhere from 2 or 3 minutes to 10 though. Depending on the time of night and what was going on in the rest of the city.
        "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Backup is so abundant where I work that when I call out a traffic stop sometimes I have to advise that no back is needed just so I can water down the response. I can usually count on 2 cars showing up unless I call them off.

Comment

For better or worse, I work in a densely-populated city, so an emergency I can usually get backup within a few minutes of making the radio broadcast. But, like retdetsgt said, it all depends on how busy the shift is at the time.

One night I got a call to check an SP (suspicious) male on a street corner acting bizarre, and it was a crazy night, one call after another. The call was about an hour old, because dispatch was stacking calls by priority. It turned out that the guy was 6'4", about 260lbs, and spaced out to the ozone on PCP. It quickly turned into a fight to the death.

He charged at me, I side-stepped him, and immediately put out a OT (Officer in Trouble) call. I emptied half my canister of pepper mace on him, broke one of his elbows with my Maglight (he was trying to get my gun), and he broke 3 of my ribs with well-placed kicks with his workboots (through a level II vest). I finally got him down with my knee in his ear, but he had that retard PCP strength and threw me off. He started going after my gun again, and I was seriously running out of gas. I hit the emergency button on my portable radio, and I could hear other units responding, but I knew they weren't going to get to me in time. I told myself that if I get control of my gun before him, I'm going to shoot him.

While this is going on, a guy on the next street over is coming home from work. His wife had been listening to this whole scene on her police scanner, and commented to her husband that a police officer was screaming for help on the next street. The husband sprints out of the house, runs to where I am, and gave the guy a NFL-level tackle that knocked him on his ***. Both he & I jumped on him, and we were able to keep him down until backup arrived.

I guess my point to this long-*** post is that you never know where your backup is going to come from. And, yes, I gave that guy a handshake, my profound thanks, and mailed him a gift certificate to a very fine restaurant. He also got a commendation from the City Council.

Hey, I wonder how a 5' 100lb female officer would have fared in that situation?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
            Last edited by Delta784; 10-14-2004, 01:57 AM.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Hey, I wonder how a 5' 100lb female officer would have fared in that situation?

Well at least I can say that I am 5'8 and 150!! I couldn't resist either Lol
              Be safe out there!!

Comment

I commend you on your restraint, Delta. The suspect is so damn lucky he did not get shot.

Here back up, is never far behind. I think the average is about 3 mins. I recall once where an officer called for back up (code1/ when a car is available). In all my time working with him, I had never heard him call for any type of back up. But for some reason he did this time. I was about 8 miles away, as God as my witness, I got there from across the city in little over 2 mins. Not to mention half the our squad.

We try to hang out in pairs, even though our beats are different. So if one gets a call, someone else is there to tag along and even then, you can guarantee that more are on the way with certain type of calls.

Nothing makes me feel prouder than when I see a patrol car rushing to a call and another one right behind it. Because you know, that the only reason the second one is there, is for the guy driving the one in front. Its all about your fellow officer.
                "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

My back-up is usually at least 10 minutes away.
                  Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Generally I can count on backup in about 10 minutes... sometimes less, but that's about the average.
                    All warm and fuzzy.... 'til the claws come out.

Comment

Nice story Delta.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784

I guess my point to this long-*** post is that you never know where your backup is going to come from. And, yes, I gave that guy a handshake, my profound thanks, and mailed him a gift certificate to a very fine restaurant. He also got a commendation from the City Council.

When I was working our ghetto, I was in court so my partner went out alone. He got a call to a McDonald's on something or other. It's been a long time so I don't recall too much about it except the pertinent stuff. Long story short, some guy was able to get his gun away from him (this was before retention holsters) and was about to do him when this doper, armed robber we knew came out of the crowd and pointed his Iver Johnson .32 at the bad guy's head and said, "We ain't killin' no polese today".

My old partner got this guy some sort of award from the city council. They managed to get it to him before his sentencing on his last robbery..... My partner testified for him at the hearing. Yeah, you never know.....

Comment

Originally posted by retdetsgt
                          My old partner got this guy some sort of award from the city council. They managed to get it to him before his sentencing on his last robbery.
                          That's one of the best war stories I've ever heard!
                          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Nothing makes me feel prouder than when I see a patrol car rushing to a call and another one right behind it. Because you know, that the only reason the second one is there, is for the guy driving the one in front. Its all about your fellow officer.
                            Very well said.

doper, armed robber we knew came out of the crowd and pointed his Iver Johnson .32 at the bad guy's head and said, "We ain't killin' no polese today".
                            Wow, kind of amazing that someone who for all intensive purposes believes the police is the enemy steps out and prevents the killing of an officer. Perhaps it really pays to treat those people you lock up with a little respect, or at least treat them like a human being. Thanks for sharing retdetsgt.
                            Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                            --------------------
                            This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                              That's one of the best war stories I've ever heard!
                              To this day, we have no idea what his motivation was. I guess deep down there was a bit of human kindness there.

That partner, btw is Kent Anderson. He quit later and wrote "Night Dogs" and "Sympathy For The Devil". The first a police novel and the second about Vietnam. He was on a Special Forces "A" Team there. Both great books, I think and worth reading if you're a cop and/or a present for former soldier.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2279 users online. 138 members and 2141 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X