300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freemasonry

A longtime friend of mine is a Mason. I just started college in January to become a cop. He was telling me that a majority of police officers are freemasons and being one can help you get promoted. Is this true and how many police officers are actually freemasons?

I'm a Mason, but I don't advertise it.

As a matter of fact, it's probably a detriment for me, with the overwhelming majority of my PD being Irish/Catholic.

If you agree with the principles of Freemasonry, then you should apply. If you don't, then don't apply. Don't base your job prospects on this.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I'm a Stonecutter.........

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
        I'm a Stonecutter.........
        Show-off.
        A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I've known three Freemasons in my life and none of them would answer one single question I've ever had about their group. I find that a bit suspicious. If what the Freemasons do are so great, why all the secrecy? Why is it you have to join to discover what it's all about? Do you buy a car without driving it first? Do you apply to a college without knowing anything about the curriculum?

I can't help but wonder what is it the Freemasons actually do at their lodge meetings? I've looked up some sites on Freemasonry and they were all pretty vague. Most of them just said that if you were of good moral character, a 21+ year old male, and believed in a higher power, you should apply. Are women allowed? Are blacks allowed? I'm guessing the answer to both of those questions is no. I personally am against organizations that are exclusive to one particular race, sex or religion. I know some black people who've applied to the Moose Lodge and their application was tossed in the trash immediately. I was told that by the governor of that particular lodge. He's married to my cousin.

I know the Lions Club is big into collecting old eye glasses and having them refurbished and they also pay for poor people to have their eyes examined and get glasses. A lot of the Moose Lodges have scholarship funds. Do the Freemasons do any sort of public service activities? Do they help anyone outside their walls? I'm really curious about that because I've never seen or heard of anything they do. Everything seems to be done in secret and behind closed doors. It seems a bit cult-like, in my opinion.

Comment

There are plenty of black Masons, and the women have their own little group...the "Stars of Kierkegard" or something like that...The Order of the Eastern Star...that's it....They have their own handshake that is different than the guys' handshake too...

Do the Freemasons do any sort of public service activities? Do they help anyone outside their walls? I'm really curious about that because I've never seen or heard of anything they do.
            You've never heard of the "Moslem Shriners" or "Shrine Hospital"??? Never seen those middle aged guys driving go carts or mini-bikes in parades while dressed as old west cavalry guys or clowns? Never seen the Shriner Harley Davidson drill team??? They're all Masons....I'm sure it's all out there on the internet....
            Last edited by Frank Booth; 09-11-2004, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Frank, I looked up several sites online about the Freemasons and as I said before, most were very vague and I never could get a clear picture of what exactly it is they do. I was under the impression that the Shriners were a separate cult--er, I mean group-and weren't the same as the Freemasons.

I went to a Kazim Shrine Circus (or something like that) once and I was disgusted. The animals looked malnourished and mistreated and the performers all looked way too young to be dressed like that. I can remember a bunch of fiftyish men dressed up like clowns, complete with wigs and makeup, and they were riding tricycles. All the other men were walking around in their hats with their tassles swinging. Secret handshakes, passwords, and weird clothing creeps me out a little.

On the Flintstones when Fred and Barney would put on their hats and head out to their Loyal Order of the Water Buffalos meetings, I always knew they were up to no good. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 156
                Are women allowed?
                No. It's a fraternity, meaning men only.

Originally posted by 156
                Are blacks allowed?
                Of course.

Originally posted by 156
                I know the Lions Club is big into collecting old eye glasses and having them refurbished and they also pay for poor people to have their eyes examined and get glasses. A lot of the Moose Lodges have scholarship funds. Do the Freemasons do any sort of public service activities? Do they help anyone outside their walls?
                I actually laughed out loud when I read that. The Lions Club are amateurs compared to the Masons in regards to charity. As a matter of fact, charity is the #1 tenent of Freemasonry.

Have you ever heard of the Shriner's Burns Hospitals? To be a Shriner, you first have to be a Mason in good standing. They provide the best burns treatment in the world, regardless of the ability to pay.

Masonry is also heavily involved in a child identification program known as CHIP, which photographs & fingerprints children in case they're lost or abducted.

This doesn't even count the things my lodge has done on a local level. I've manned a Salvation Army kettle at Christmas, helped put a new roof on a homeless shelter, taken disabled veterans on fishing outings, and many other things.

Worldwide, the Masons spend about $2 million per day on charity. Per day. So, to answer your question.....yes, we Masons do help people outside our "walls".
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I'm a Mason and I happen to be black. I'm also a 32nd degree Mason and Shriner. I'm just 27, I love the fraternity and I have yet to reap any benefits from it, probably because I don't advertise I'm a member.

Comment

At my university there is a CJ professor who teaches a course with about 600 students in it. He spends about a month talking about how Masons are a satanic cult who abduct, torture and sacrifice thousands of children a year. He also claims that they are getting into law enforcement and other governmental positions so they can take over the world pretty soon. I'm sure glad that my tution pays his salary.

Comment

I am proud to be a Mason.

The only secrets we have are our modes of recognition (passwords, handshakes). You would tell me you have a credit card...you might even show it to me...but would you give me your password?

Our lodges are well-marked, our meeting times are advertised openly, our membership often wears or displays symbols showing their affiliation with Masonry.

Most of our presidents were Masons.

Your grandfather or great-grandfather was probably a Mason.

People tend to be frightened by what they don't understand...you will hear many lies and distortions regarding Masonry. Ask a Mason and he will be glad to explain thigs to you. If he is vague it is because he doesn't believe you are serious about learning about the organization or are one of the people who likes to spread falsehoods...why should he waste his time?

If any of you are serious about learing more feel free to PM me or any of the other Masons on this board.
                      2B1ASK1

Comment

He spends about a month talking about how Masons are a satanic cult who abduct, torture and sacrifice thousands of children a year.
                        That would be the people who run "The Potter's House".

Comment

I need to go with 156 on this one. I've been trying to get infomation on Freemasonry and it's not easy to come across. It almost seems as though the only way to get information is from a Mason themselves or after you join. I've been to a few good web pages but they don't give very good information. Just say enough to make you want to learn more. I'm sure I'd have to personally talk to a Mason or join before I'm able to learn more. Isn't that what cults do???

No, I don't understand Freemasonry. What concerns me more is how I can't get any streight up information on it.

Seems fishy.

Comment

Re: Freemasonry

Originally posted by jonb83
                            A longtime friend of mine is a Mason. I just started college in January to become a cop. He was telling me that a majority of police officers are freemasons and being one can help you get promoted. Is this true and how many police officers are actually freemasons?
                            out of the many officers i know, i only know of 2 who are masons. id have to say your buddy is wrong in his assumption that most cops are masons.
                            "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                            William Shatner

Comment

Originally posted by 156
                              Are blacks allowed? I'm guessing the answer to both of those questions is no.
                              blacks are allowed. one of the 2 guys i know are masons happens to be black. the other guy is jewish.
                              "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                              William Shatner

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7523 users online. 295 members and 7228 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X