300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I out with just 1 ticket!?

Ok so I got my first speeding ticket ever. I was coming off of my local beltway when I fell right into a county speedtrap and got nailed for 74 in a 35. I took it to court, and despite my squeaky clean record, I recieved full fine plus court cost ($320), and a total of 5 points (max points possible with no option of driver improvement). Well now I finally got arround to submitting applications to departments, and the department I really want to join (Montgomery County MD) is hiring, but will delay applications (approx. 3 years) with 5 points or more on the applicants license. So needless to say I didn't file my application. I am trying to schedule a meeting with the director of personel, and have filed a reconsideration request with the judge. Is there anything else I can do? Working for montgomery county would be a dream come true.

Also, does anyone know of any other departments (pref. in maryland or close) with a cut-off greater than 5 points?

74 in a 35! That must have been a hell of a speed trap. What's the max speed limit in Maryland off a freeway? In some states that would have qualified for reckless driving.

In my dept., that in itself wouldn't disqualify you. But if you have any other problems, that would certainly work against you.
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by retdetsgt
      74 in a 35! That must have been a hell of a speed trap. What's the max speed limit in Maryland off a freeway? In some states that would have qualified for reckless driving.
      Yes I believe it did qualify, so in that sense I was extremely lucky. I am not worried about the fine..and all I hope is that the judge knocks it down at least 1 point. Although my counter arguement to my speed is "yeah, but I am a hell of a driver ". I have no other problems aside from that damn ticket. What department do you work for retdetsgt?

Comment

Is it possible you were even going faster? It seems like he might have givin you 74 because if he wrote a ticket for over that it really would have been wreckless driving.

That happened to a friend of mine. He was actually going 8 over what the cop gave him because the cop was actually giving him a break. This way he wasn't arrested.

Comment

It doesn't really sound like a classic speed trap. In NC I think you would've probably been arrested for 39 over. Anything over 20 mph is reckless driving.

Comment

Dude,

Everyone knows, speed traps are illegal. If you asserted that defense and were convicted anyway, then it wasn't a speed trap, you just got caught speeding, fair and square.

In my agency, a recent citation for more than double the speed limit could be a disqualifier (it would all depend on how you presented your side to the background investigator). What would definitely kill you on the background are comments like, "it was a speed trap," or, "yeah, but I am a hell of a driver". Both are essentially admissions of guilt coupled with immaturity, an unwillingness to accept responsibility for your own acts, and with a little pinch of smart *** thrown in for good measure. Saying things like that to the background investigator would most certainly get you bounced.

There are other ways to deal with this, but yours isn't one of them.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
              Dude,
              In my agency, a recent citation for more than double the speed limit could be a disqualifier (it would all depend on how you presented your side to the background investigator). What would definitely kill you on the background are comments like, "it was a speed trap," or, "yeah, but I am a hell of a driver". Both are essentially admissions of guilt coupled with immaturity, an unwillingness to accept responsibility for your own acts, and with a little pinch of smart *** thrown in for good measure. Saying things like that to the background investigator would most certainly get you bounced.

There are other ways to deal with this, but yours isn't one of them.
              Dude,
              First off it was the background investigator from the department whom I talked to who called it a "speed trap". I was just repeating what the investigator told me. To me it just looked like 2 cops sitting on the side of the road w/ a radar gun and then walked out to point and pull over whoever was going fast enough. When I filed for reconsideration I clearly wrote "I realized the error of my ways from day one" and just made note of my community involvement (PG Firefighter/EMT) and that I was a student with a clean record. And secondly, im not dumb enough to say something like "yeah, but im a hell of a driver" to any prospective employer. Seriously, give me a little more credit than that. It was a little smart-*** comment strictly for this forum. I'd appreciate advice, not people just telling me what I did wrong (I already got the ticket and drive like a grandma now anyways)..or people not offering any beneficial input at all. I seek to learn from this collective of wisdom...and one day work alongside some of these fine people.

---

Oh and Archer..to be honest I am not sure how fast I was actually going. I was late for a physiology exam and wasn't too concerned with my speed (the Univeristy Of Maryland dosen't allow makeups for traffic). So honestally he may have cut me a break...if he did I am definately thankfull. I just hope the judge reduces it by 1 point so I can apply.
              Last edited by Logandude; 09-08-2004, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Why are speedtraps illegal? I thought speeding was illegal?
                A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Re: Am I out with just 1 ticket!?

Originally posted by Logandude
                  ......Also, does anyone know of any other departments (pref. in maryland or close) with a cut-off greater than 5 points?
                  NO SIR.
                  "Do what you can stand."

Comment

When I filed for reconsideration I clearly wrote "I realized the error of my ways from day one" and just made note of my community involvement (PG Firefighter/EMT) and that I was a student with a clean record. And secondly, im not dumb enough to say something like "yeah, but im a hell of a driver" to any prospective employer. Seriously, give me a little more credit than that. It was a little smart-*** comment strictly for this forum. I'd appreciate advice, not people just telling me what I did wrong (I already got the ticket and drive like a grandma now anyways)..or people not offering any beneficial input at all.
                    Logandude, I'm not a cop, but a citizen who lives next to a university. So I am constantly exposed to speeding college students who probably think it's okay because they're good drivers. This is nothing personal because you sound like a very nice young man, but I'd like to express my opinion on your situation.

Last April you posted here because at age 16 you had been at fault in an auto accident and you were wondering if you should mention it on an application. I have to wonder why you didn't realize the error of your ways and start driving like a grandma, either after the accident, or in April when you became concerned about it. Excuse me for thinking that you've shown poor judgement, as well as a lack of respect for the law and for the safety of others. After what you've told us, it's hard to give you "more credit", or to think that you're ready to be a cop.

Since you're only accepting "beneficial input", I think you should try to understand that there's probably a reason why they would delay your application for 3 years, and that you should use that time to grow up and become a little more responsible.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Ouch!

Comment

Sorry if I'm being hard on Logandude. The words "74 in a 35" just seem to have that effect on me.

Comment

I appreciate what you have to say, but perhaps it is unwise to form judgements on situations in which you do not know complete details. Departments take 4-8 months to come to those realizations. Don't attack the character/level of responsibility of people you don't know. When I went to court for this ticket my excuse to the judge was that "there was no acceptable excuse." SO I definately owned up to the responsibility of my actions. Every police officer I have talked to said that it seemed a little harsh to throw the maximum penality to a first offender without the option of driver improvement. My driving history is flawless. The accident at 16 dosen't appear on it because the judge said if I plea guilty he would award a PBJ, and that no other violations/tickets for 2 years would result in it being wiped off of my record. I have always been a safe and curteous driver, and I got nailed for 1 slip up. However I did not post on this forum to defend myself. If there is one thing I have learned from this place is that no one is perfect.
                          Last edited by Logandude; 09-08-2004, 12:31 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE}I have always been a safe and curteous driver, and I got nailed for 1 slip up.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying you've never done any other speeding? Be honest now. Seems like only a habitual speeder (even one who's never been caught before) would be doing 74 in a 35.

In any case, I know this isn't what you're asking, but if Montgomery County is your dream, I think that's what you should be focusing on. In the long run, wouldn't you be better off finishing college than trying to get into a department at age 20? Is there some problem with finishing college? Two or three years from now, do you think Montgomery County will look more favorably on you if you have a degree, or if you've had a few years with another department? That's what your choices should be based on. Again, I know that's not what you're asking, and I know you'd rather hear from cop (I couldn't find the Ask a Mom forum. ), but I think you're at a critical point in your life, as far as how your decisions will affect your future (as you've already found out), and I'm only telling you what I would tell my own son.

And I STILL think you could use a little growing-up time.

Comment

Unwise to form judgments on situations in which we don't know the complete details???

Dude, you're the one who gave us as many details as you felt necessary and then asked for our advice. You can't chastise us for doing what you asked of us.

If you think we are being hard on you, remember that we would be even harder if the same situation involved someone who was already a cop.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6863 users online. 389 members and 6474 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X