300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanently Out?

In November 2003, I resigned in lieu of termination after 5+ years with my department. The reason was sick time issues (August 2001). Now that I have resolved the sick time issue, I can't find a department that will hire me. Is there anyone out there that has a suggestion. I have been in law enforcement since October 1995 and it's killing me to think I'll never get back to work in my choosen profession. I'm even leaving my home state of Washington because of this.

Did your dept. have a union? I'm not a cop, but I doubt another dept. will hire you. Why would someone get fired for sick time issues? You had a chance and you blew it, now you want another one, I suggest you go to college or find another profession.

Comment

Re: Permanently Out?

Originally posted by WaCopGirlTx
      In November 2003, I resigned in lieu of termination after 5+ years with my department. The reason was sick time issues (August 2001). Now that I have resolved the sick time issue, I can't find a department that will hire me.
      the worst thing you can do is resign in lieu of termination. if youre not on probation, you have certain civil service rights. if you resign, you essentially waive those rights. if you dont resign and they fire you, you at least have a shot at getting your job back if you go through arbitration or at worst sue the department.

if the sick time issue has been resolved, the best thing to do is contact an attorney and seek reinstatement at your old dept. i dont think alot of departments will take a chance on somebody who resigned under pressure.
      "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
      William Shatner

Comment

If you can't find "any dept that will hire" you, then why would you think some suggestion on an internet message board would change a dept's mind? You don't exactly give us much to work with when you didn't explain it in more detail, either....it makes a big difference if the sick time was abused vs. used for a situation that was out of your control (family member, long term illness, etc)

Comment

I'd say you are screwed.... You should have fought the issue through your union if it was legitimate sick time. If not, sounds like you were asking for it...
          Deputy Brandy L. Winfield
          RIP - October 14, 2004

www.ar15armory.com

Comment

They relied on you to be there. I was a union rep and we had people that "abused sick leave" and that was reasonable grounds for tremination. The steps it takes to fire someone here are rather extensive. So if the same procedures were used there you had ample chance to redeem yourself.

Will another department risk hiring you ?
            Maybe a small town that needs officers if you have an impressive array of current certfications to show them thus saving them aton of money.

Be serious with you attempts to get another job and be up front and honest when asked about termination because they will find out

Comment

I'll give you the same advice I give others looking for a chance of 'redemption'. Lower your sights.

About the only chance you've got is going to a small agency whose hiring standards are going to be lower than most larger departments.

Does that mean you might end up patrolling the empty streets of some two-bit burg in subzero temperatures at 4:00 am for a few years?

Yep.

Does that mean you may have to spend a decade working for a department that doesn't have funding for **** and you have to pay for your own training to stay abreast of current LE trends?

You betcha.

Does that mean you may have to take a SERIOUS pay cut just so someone will hire you?

Almost surely.

BUT...if you do, you can prove you've learned your lesson and have put it behind you. There are some damn good cops that work in all of the above conditions. Work a few years at an agency like that and keep your nose clean and you MIGHT get the chance to move up to a larger agency with better pay, better funding and better conditions.

OR...you might just find that you like working for a little town where everyone knows you and you know everyone. And the cost of living is pretty low, so you can get by on a smaller paycheck. And you like the quiet time between 4:00 am and 7:00 am so you can spend a little time working on the online degree or specialized training of your choosing.

As was said previously, you had a chance and blew that one. You'll have to work hard to find another opportunity, but they are out there.

How bad do you want it?
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Re: Permanently Out?

Originally posted by WaCopGirlTx
                In November 2003, I resigned in lieu of termination after 5+ years with my department. The reason was sick time issues (August 2001). Now that I have resolved the sick time issue, I can't find a department that will hire me. Is there anyone out there that has a suggestion. I have been in law enforcement since October 1995 and it's killing me to think I'll never get back to work in my choosen profession. I'm even leaving my home state of Washington because of this.
                I agree with Bart, whenever you resign in lieu of termination, that is a death blow to a law enforcement career. While I don't know all the facts to your situation it does not look good. You mention that you "resolved the sick time issue." I don't know what measures you took but in all future application to PD's, you will have to mention that you resigned during an admistrative investigation into your conduct. When I was local, officers were constantly told by senior members and the PBA never to resign during an investigation and/or in lieu of punishments. I know my police department (Florida) would not process an applicant under your same situation. Again agreeing with Bart, I would only focus on going back to your old department via an attorney.

Comment

I would say apply at a smaller department, get there and do a good job for at least about two years, then lateral up the food chain. I don't know about elsewhere, but there are quite a few smaller pd's in CO who are desperately short of people.
                  And lo, as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
                  I shall ask myself,
                  "This is the f*cking Valley of the Shadow of Death! What the f*ck am I doing in the f*cking Valley of the Shadow of Death?!?!"

Comment

I agree with Kirch & Sandman. Find a small place to go to, put in your time to establish your credibility and then move back up the ladder.

Probably the quickest way is to find one of those agencies that's regarded as the last resort of scoundrel officers. They're not too hard to spot. Usually their working conditions are so bad that newly hired officers have to sign an 18 to 36 month contract in which they agree to pay the department damages if they quit before the contract has expired.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Interesting thing on that...We had an officer who came over from a PD like that at like 35 months of his 36 month contract. The old PD sued him for like $15k. He won because, evidently, contract like that which extend beyond 24 months are illegal...I guess it was a Supreme Court case, not sure which one though...
                      And lo, as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
                      I shall ask myself,
                      "This is the f*cking Valley of the Shadow of Death! What the f*ck am I doing in the f*cking Valley of the Shadow of Death?!?!"

Comment

Sandman,

I had a buddy who left early on his contract, got sued and lost. He appealed to a higher court and lost again. About five years later, a more enlightened court started throwing some of the contract provisions out but, it was too late for my friend.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Probably the quickest way is to find one of those agencies that's regarded as the last resort of scoundrel officers. They're not too hard to spot. Usually their working conditions are so bad that newly hired officers have to sign an 18 to 36 month contract in which they agree to pay the department damages if they quit before the contract has expired.

Might want to apply to Walsenberg PD . I heard there like that

Comment

I agree with everbody else find a small dept. and establish yourself again. The past is over but I would have used every thing I could before I would have resigned if you had civil service. That's over so try to start off fresh at the bottom. Good Luck.
                            Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
                              I'll give you the same advice I give others looking for a chance of 'redemption'. Lower your sights.

About the only chance you've got is going to a small agency whose hiring standards are going to be lower than most larger departments.

Does that mean you might end up patrolling the empty streets of some two-bit burg in subzero temperatures at 4:00 am for a few years?

Yep.

Does that mean you may have to spend a decade working for a department that doesn't have funding for **** and you have to pay for your own training to stay abreast of current LE trends?

You betcha.

Does that mean you may have to take a SERIOUS pay cut just so someone will hire you?

Almost surely.

BUT...if you do, you can prove you've learned your lesson and have put it behind you. There are some damn good cops that work in all of the above conditions. Work a few years at an agency like that and keep your nose clean and you MIGHT get the chance to move up to a larger agency with better pay, better funding and better conditions.

OR...you might just find that you like working for a little town where everyone knows you and you know everyone. And the cost of living is pretty low, so you can get by on a smaller paycheck. And you like the quiet time between 4:00 am and 7:00 am so you can spend a little time working on the online degree or specialized training of your choosing.

As was said previously, you had a chance and blew that one. You'll have to work hard to find another opportunity, but they are out there.

How bad do you want it?
                              Excellent post, nailed it on the head

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5280 users online. 284 members and 4996 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X