300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Assault Weapon Ban

I know a controversial gun ban by former President Bill Clinton is about to expire in the middle of September. What exactly will this mean for citizens and will this have any positive or negative affect on cops on the street?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ZalmanEmmes; 08-13-2004, 08:36 AM.
    Never, Never, Never Give Up!
    Sir Winston Churchill

I thought Regan was pres in 1984

It will mean citizens get a couple extra goodies for their rifles. It hasn't affected law enforcement since it was signed, so I doubt it will once it's up. It will mean no more pre and post ban rifles, so the price of rifles will go down for the same features.

Pass around the grenade launchers!!
    We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

It means the price of hi-cap mags will go down. And it means absolutely nothing for Californians!
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

This is by no means an unbiased look at the gun ban, but here is a link from the NRA, outlining the basic design of the law.

AWB LINK

By the way, it was 1994
        A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Oops!

I meant 1994 not '84.!
          Never, Never, Never Give Up!
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

IT makes no difference to law enforcement. Good guys, i.e. those legally in posession of firearms, are not a threat. Bad Guys, generally already prohibited by law from posessiong firearms, get them illegally now.

In other words, I don't expect we will see a jump in drive by bayonetings. it's not the number of rounds in the gun, but the intent of the person holding the gun, that matters.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
              In other words, I don't expect we will see a jump in drive by bayonetings. it's not the number of rounds in the gun, but the intent of the person holding the gun, that matters.
              True, but since most of the trash doing drive-bys aren't spart enough to aim the gun anyways, more rounds seems helpful to them.
              A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Looks like I'll FINALLY be able to get a 50rd mag for my 10/22 for under $75!!!!
                I'd Rather be Judged by 12 Than Carried by Six.

Comment

Working meth labs, I found a lot of automatic weapons and what would be classified as assault rifles on search warrants. The good news is that just about everytime I recall, the weapons were inoperable. The idiots out there have no idea nor the patience to take care of a weapon that's a finely tooled machine. They shoot them in the woods somewhere until they run out of lubrication or get too dirty to fire anymore and then they take them apart and can't get them back together again.
                  "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
                    True, but since most of the trash doing drive-bys aren't spart enough to aim the gun anyways, more rounds seems helpful to them.
                    look at any gun website, any magazine that sells magazines (like cabelas even) and you'll find hi caps, many times they say *NEW PREBAN HICAPS* which is impossible. the ban's done nothing to stop people from getting hi caps, the criminals get them illegally anyways, all the ban does is limit legal citizens from returning as much fire as they get ; i.e. my springfield xd 40 has only 10 round mags b/c of this BS law b/c it was made after 1994 (even though baretta mags can be modified), yet criminals can get 33 round glock mags. it's somehow right that b/c i obey the law they get to shoot more at me? sounds pretty crappy to me

Comment

Originally posted by rebbryan
                      look at any gun website, any magazine that sells magazines (like cabelas even) and you'll find hi caps, many times they say *NEW PREBAN HICAPS* which is impossible. the ban's done nothing to stop people from getting hi caps, the criminals get them illegally anyways, all the ban does is limit legal citizens from returning as much fire as they get ; i.e. my springfield xd 40 has only 10 round mags b/c of this BS law b/c it was made after 1994 (even though baretta mags can be modified), yet criminals can get 33 round glock mags. it's somehow right that b/c i obey the law they get to shoot more at me? sounds pretty crappy to me
                      Aim more, shoot less, hit first, and go home happy.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                        IT makes no difference to law enforcement. Good guys, i.e. those legally in posession of firearms, are not a threat. Bad Guys, generally already prohibited by law from posessiong firearms, get them illegally now.

Boy I wish if you are a Prime Minister of Canada

Now allow me to rant about our Northen Calamity and about some Chiefs of Police.

Our cunning politicians spent 2 billion dollars Canadian on a gun registry and yet criminal use of handguns up here keeps increasing.

And the funny thing here in Canada is that a guy who commited no crime minus forgetting to register his rifle gets 3 years in jail while a criminal who shot his gang opponent gets 1 year of probation under infamous Canadian compassion for poverty and lack of opportunity. Please just ask Toronto Police officers how they feel about justice system and its easy taking of criminals.

All rules that are imposed on legitimate and legal gun owners of Canada seem to be ignored in dark alleys of the Canadian cities. What ****ed me off is that some of our magnificent police officers defended gun registry as something that is a part of Canadian culture. Couldn't they think that their money will be going to new gun control scheme ? Couldn't they forsee that such riddiculous law won't make their job safer ? Most of Chiefs of police in Canada so blindly approved gun control measures that you would wonder if they have education at all.

I may or may not be a member of NRA or just a less sophisticated Canadian gun-nut but the reality is that RCMP never actually used handgun registry that existed since 1934 to solve any crime. ANd the long gun registry is so plagued with errors that some people registered soldering guns and even their ****s.

UP here you can own here a handgun with 108 mm barrel length but one with 105 mm barrel length is verbotten.

SO whats the rationale behind such smart rules ? What is the idea behind limiting magazine capacity ?

Not to be harsh toward my own decent lawmen, but why are many Canadian peace officers against defensive use of firearms ? If somebody invade your home and goes on to rape your daughter, would you just run away to first pay phone and dial 911 ?

I am sure our fellows from US or anywhere else in the world have same questions to ask.

You guys in the States are lucky to have sunset clause. At least your politicians are sober enough to not to allow mistakes to go on and on forever.

I bet you will be sipping Californian sparkling wine in celebration of AWB demise. No I won't say Champagne on purpose even though Wrench have better wine than you and us too.

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
                          Aim more, shoot less, hit first, and go home happy.
                          sorta hard to aim when da hoods are poppin their glocks as fast as they can. even if i could get one kill per shot, if their's over 30 (i.e. a GANG) then i'm SOL, b/c the gov says I don't know how to responsibly use 9 extra rounds

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4462 users online. 261 members and 4201 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X