Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when someone doesn't sign their ticket?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact
    replied
    Originally posted by The X-Cop
    I would explain to them the pain and trouble for not signing...they always signed.
    Do You explain it to them while you have their neck in your hands?

Just wondering how you convey this "Pain."

Leave a comment:

• SD7
    replied
    The X-Cop A citation is a promise to appear...if they refuse to sign the promise to appear I would explain to them the pain and trouble for not signing...they always signed.

Very true, but unfortunately I think we might have some transplants from Florida in this county

Leave a comment:

• The X-Cop
    replied
    A citation is a promise to appear...if they refuse to sign the promise to appear I would explain to them the pain and trouble for not signing...they always signed.

Leave a comment:

• SD7
    replied
    VtFuzz,

Here's an interesting twist to the ticket. Say the person refuses to sign and their license is suspended. It used to be that we had discretion on wether or not to issue a ticket for driving under suspension.

We now have orders from the county court to bring in all DUR's, DUS due to failure to appears from prior tickets issued for the same offense.

It really cracks me up. If I pull you over and issue a speeding ticket for say 10-19 over it's a $56 fine and 4 points. Most times the DA will offer a plea to bring it down to say 5-9 over which is a $15 fine and 2 points. Yet you get people who figure that they don't need to go to court. So their license is suspended for failure to pay.

Leave a comment:

• WHC166
    replied
    Originally posted by Chase
    [B]

It makes sense if you think about it. By signing the ticket, he is merely promising to appear in court to answer for the violation. Consequently, by refusing to sign the ticket, he is effectively saying that he does not intend to appear in court. So taking him to jail is really the only logical alternative.
    In VT, most traffic violations are Civil Infractions, not crimes. Henceforth, you cannot be arrested, even if you don't show up for court. The only "punishment" is that your license will be suspended for failing to pay the fine. Even if you get caught driving while suspneded for failing to pay the fine, it's only another civil ticket and you cannot be arrested. There is no spot on the ticket for a signiture, other than the officers.

Just out of curiosity, for the jurisdictions out there that do not require a signature on traffic cites, do you require a signature on misdemeanor non-traffic cites? For instance, we cite & release for misdemeanor crimes such as shoplifting, prostitution, loitering, trespassing, assault and battery, etc. Do you have to get a signature on those type of cites? If not, that's cool for you. If yes, why on those and not the traffic cites? Seems like the reason for getting a signature would be the same. Just curious. Thanks.
    In VT it cannot be held against you if you refuse to sign a criminal citation, either misdemeanor or felony. In order to place someone in jail for anything, we have to have the permission of the court. You could probably convince the court to hold them for a felony, but very doubtful for a misdemeanor.

Leave a comment:

• SD7
    replied
    I have only had several occasions where people have refused to sign. A lot of times they threaten to call the sheriff.

I tell them that signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt, it's a promise to appear and answer the charges against them. If they refuse to sign I will write refused to sign and advise them of there court date. I will also tell them that if they fail to appear in court a judgement will be entered against them and their license will be restrained until they pay the fine.

Leave a comment:

• TXStreetwalker
    replied
    Texas input

Beat the ever loving cr*p outta them . . .

Seriously, I explain to them that thier signature is not an admission of guilt, it merely confirms that they did recieve the citation and will contact the courts ...

as for not signing,

a) I can write "refused to sign" in the space where they are supposed to sign.

b) hand them the citation and inform them that they are still required to contact the Court.

c) The citation can also be "instantered", meaning they are arrested for the offense on the spot.

Though, with all this being said, in 9 yrs on the job I have never had anyone refuse to sign a citation.

Peace,

Leave a comment:

• Ianscape
    replied
    Simple....We dont need a signature on our tickets. It doesn't even ask for one.

Leave a comment:

• rabbitcop4
    replied
    in oklahoma if a person wont sign they go to jail. signing just means that you will take care of the ticket or show up for court.

Leave a comment:

• SaNdMaN
    replied
    At my PD, if they have a valid driver's license, we can just write "Valid CO DL" and release them. If there is no license, they sign or go to jail...Technically, you should jail everybody w/o a license or ID, but the city I work in is at about 55% Mexican Nationals, so there is no way to do that...

As far as misdemeanor criminal, signature is mandatory...Makes no sense to me, but, Hell, not a whole lot in the minds of administrators makes sense to me...

Leave a comment:

• RPD1112
    replied
    You don't have to sign for the ticket in S. Carolina. However, if you refuse to accept it, it a violation of the NRVC and you can be arrested. Although, I've never had someone refuse to accept the ticket in 7+ years of civilian LE experience.

Leave a comment:

• Gooch
    replied
    In Illinois, the only ones that sign for tickets are non-residents who live in certain states that fall under the Non Resident Violator Compact Jurisdictions. Otherwise, you have to post either your license, $75, or an accepted bond card as bond. If it's a misdemeanor traffic offense like a DUI, you have to sign an "I"-bond. If you don't, you sit until you can appear in bond court before a judge.

Leave a comment:

• EMTFirefighter
    replied
    Originally posted by BADPIG17
    IN NEW YORK, WE DON'T GET SIGNATURES FROM VIOLATORS..
    HERE IS YOUR TICKET, HERE IS HOW YOU ANSWER THE TICKET, YOUR LICENSE WILL BE SUSPENDED IF YOU FAIL TO ANSWER THE TICKET, DRIVE SAFE.
    I hope you say "drive safely" instead of "drive safe."

Leave a comment:

• Chase
    replied
    Originally posted by DAN'LL
    Chase

No signatures!

Why should the citing officer/deputy need to even expose him/herself to a requirement that may escalate the confrontation from nothing, to a potential major incident?

I do not care Chase, if the party shows up in court. Why do we need to make sure of that "certainity" at the outset?

Our goal is to cite the violator and move them along.

Can you imagine pulling over articulate, highly educated lawyer type operators, who want to get into a verbal dueling match with law enforcement officers on a dark road at 0200 hrs?

Why do we need to get into this conversation with already aggravated people who may decide to "discuss" this signature thing to the point of calling backup?

This signatue thing is an absuridty taken to new heights.

VSUmarco says it best:

In fact I would seriously condider leaving law enforcement if police officers were required to get a signature for traffic viloations.

Dan
    I'm not advocating that getting a signature is better than not getting a signature. I don't have the option. It's a matter of policy and law where I work. As far as I'm concerned, it'd be easier for me NOT to get a signature. However, I'm so used to doing it that it's no big deal either way.

Leave a comment:

• DAN'LL
    replied
    Chase

No signatures!

It makes sense if you think about it. By signing the ticket, he is merely promising to appear in court to answer for the violation.
    Why should the citing officer/deputy need to even expose him/herself to a requirement that may escalate the confrontation from nothing, to a potential major incident?

I do not care Chase, if the party shows up in court. Why do we need to make sure of that "certainity" at the outset?

Our goal is to cite the violator and move them along.

Can you imagine pulling over articulate, highly educated lawyer type operators, who want to get into a verbal dueling match with law enforcement officers on a dark road at 0200 hrs?

Why do we need to get into this conversation with already aggravated people who may decide to "discuss" this signature thing to the point of calling backup?

This signatue thing is an absuridty taken to new heights.

VSUmarco says it best:

I think an officer's word should be good enough. How often do officers pull over imaginary cars, think up of imaginary license plates and an imaginary description of the vehicle's operator, and then write a ticket for an imaginary offence?
    In fact I would seriously condider leaving law enforcement if police officers were required to get a signature for traffic viloations.

Dan

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2905 users online. 190 members and 2715 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X