Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when someone doesn't sign their ticket?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sflcop
    If a driver refuses to sign the citation they WILL be placed under arrest and transported to jail. They will not be released from the jail until they post bond, sign the original citation, and sign the second citation for refusing to sign the original one.
    So what your saying is if sombody refuses to sign, they could spend the rest of their life in jail unless they sign it?

Comment

Our Summary Offence Tickets (used for Provincial Statute offences such as the Highway Traffic Act, Alcohol and Gaming Regulation Act, Wildlife Act) do not require a signature by our "client". Some of these Acts do provide authority for the arrest of a "client" for found-committing, plus pursuant to a Bench Warrant for failing-to-pay-the-voluntary-fine-and/or-attending-Court. In the found-committing-arrest situation, again they can be released on an SOT without having to sign it. In the BW situation, investigators are ENCOURAGED to get the "client" to sign before they are released, but most often we just note, "Refused to Sign", initial it and hand the "client" their copy.

For Federal Statute or Criminal Code offences the "client" SHOULD sign, then if they fail to do so we would hold them for remand before a Justice of the Peace, or a Judge.

In-car cameras make it easy to identify "clients"!
      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
      "Smile" - no!

Comment

tell them "sign or jail"

Comment

Here the signature is a promise that the violator will appear in court. They have to sign it to be released. If they don't sign it, thats fine, they are booked and get to see the next available judge. All just on the traffic infraction, no additional charges. If it's after court hours, they sit in jail unitl the next day court is in session (mon-fri 9-5). haha
          Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

retired, it's funny that the beautiful surroundings and the cozy atmosphere of a station jail could induce people to change their minds

archer, I'm guessing he/she'd be taken to court within a short period of time (maybe next court date) to hear that matter and the judge would probably give him time served on the original violation. But, that's just a guess on my part, never having heard of something like that happening. Then again, maybe it would be handled like contempt of court. Personally, I think they should spend about a week in jail, then go to court for the cite.

Retired, are you aware of any incident like that occurring on the dept. and what happened to the a/h?

Comment

Here a ticket is basically just a courtesy in lieu of being arrested. Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt, but states that the offender promises to either take care of the ticket out of court or appear in court on the specified date. Usually when they don't sign, I advised them that the alternative is jail. 99% of the time they will then sign. If not I simply sign "Arrested" in the grey box and the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by archer0830
                So what your saying is if sombody refuses to sign, they could spend the rest of their life in jail unless they sign it?
                Not in Texas. They would see a judge in the morning and the judge would make them post bond or sit out the fine if they plead guilty/no contest.

As for the original question: here in TX it's sign or go to jail unless it's a speeding or open container ticket. If it's one of the latter two, we just write "refused" and witness it and toss the pink copy in the car. I have no idea why the legislature wrote the laws that way (then again this is the same state where, until 2003, you could drink in the vehicle and it was only a crime if a peace officer observed the DRIVER, not the passenger, consuming an alcoholic beverage). Not signing is the same as not posting bond and it is presumed they do not intend to answer the charge. At that point they get taken into custody and booked and their car gets impounded. Usually after you explain that to them, they ask for a pen.
                "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

Doesn't sign ticket.

Signature on the citation is not an admission of guilt,merely a promise to appear or follow the instructions on the violator's copy. Should the subject refuse to sign the citation,which in essence is a release on his/her own recognizance,the officer may take the subject into custody,and book the subject untill he posts bond or appears in court. Add to that the impound and storage fees for the vehicle,and the cost for refusal to sign can add up rather quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by tan/grn
                    retired, it's funny that the beautiful surroundings and the cozy atmosphere of a station jail could induce people to change their minds

archer, I'm guessing he/she'd be taken to court within a short period of time (maybe next court date) to hear that matter and the judge would probably give him time served on the original violation. But, that's just a guess on my part, never having heard of something like that happening. Then again, maybe it would be handled like contempt of court. Personally, I think they should spend about a week in jail, then go to court for the cite.

Retired, are you aware of any incident like that occurring on the dept. and what happened to the a/h?

I can't remember of a time when someone spent the entire weekend in jail for not signing the citation. If they totally refused to sign, then they stayed at the station until the morning court run, usually transported by the court deputy, and appeared then. I don't believe there is a punitive section in the CVC for not signing. Once they are in court, they of course don't need to sign.
                    Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                      In Miami-dade county, when someone doesn't sign thier ticket, our TA has a saying..

09 39.

Prisoner transport. Don't wanna sign you're ticket? Obstruction.

dont you mean 05 reference 39?
                      "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                      William Shatner

Comment

While there is a line for a person to sign a summons, I don't think I have ever asked a person to do it.

It's not required.

In my opinion asking someone to sign puts an officer in an unnecessary position to have a conflict with a person that had to that pint been compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
                          We are not required to obtain a signature on any of our citations. There's not even a place to do so on the citation. Looks like our state is in the minority.
                          Oregon doesn't require a signature either, thankfully. It's one less hassle you have to deal with some jerk. In fact, there's no place on the citation for them to sign it even if they wanted to.
                          "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Maryland you go to jail! i never had to lock someone up for that they usually sign after they read that on the ticket!!!!
                            bj

Comment

No signature required, here in Massachusetts.

We just hand it to you and tell you to, "Follow the instructions on the back, Sir/Ma'am....and here's the envelope that goes with it"!

SW4747

In my opinion asking someone to sign puts an officer in an unnecessary position to have a conflict with a person that had to that pint been compliant.
                              You got that right!

I can see absolutely zero benefit, to adding this extra weight on an officer's stop. What good does this do, anyway?

We gave it to you. The registry of motor vehicles and the court gets a copy. End of story.

Either pay it....show up for a hearing....or we'll hook you instead, next time we see you.

Dan

Comment

They are arrested and brought before the magistrate who usually releases them when they do sign, however long it may take for them to sign.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4218 users online. 258 members and 3960 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X