300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 strikes your out

i've heard in some states, that if your arrest for the 3rd time for a felony, its a automatic life sentence. when a criminal has nothing to lose do they tend to be extra dangrous and act out more, as in at this point even if they kill someone, it wouldn't matter because there life is over anyways for all real purposes.

if that whole thing is true, do you think they should have that 3strike law?

Yes, two-strikers usually are the ones to run or put up a fight.

One of the reasons behind the law is to stop repeat offenders who basically use jail as a revolving door.
    If you are a terrorist, beware, because your last day was yesterday.

Comment

I did some research on this for a paper in school. "Life in prison" is 20 years. Just something I thought you'd like to know.

I went into my research paper to fight against the three strikes law and after doing research, my paper turned out to be in favor of the three strikes law.

Mike

Comment

Gets alot of the repeat offenders off the street for good. Great law I would think.
        "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Romans 13:4

Comment

Recent ruling affecting California.
          Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Ninth Circuit: Three-Strikes Sentence Cruel, Unusual.
          Retired

Comment

I know a olde guy whose third stirke was when he shoplifted 2 lbs of hamburger and a couple of other small items valued at abouit $10.
            He got life and the judge hated doing it but had no choice.

Three strikes was feel good legislation that failed to take into account the type of crime etc. We've got repeat sex offenders working on their 4th and 5th strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
              I know a olde guy whose third stirke was when he shoplifted 2 lbs of hamburger and a couple of other small items valued at abouit $10.
              I'm sure he was well aware that if he were caught the third time, he'd go to jail for life (20 years). If he knew what his punishment would be in advance, I have no sympathy for him. Bottom line, DON'T COMMIT A CRIME. That way, you won't have to worry about getting locked up. I think it's a good law and wish my state had it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                that an extreme case. the 3 felony strikes law wouldnt apply here in florida because lifting 10 bucks worth of meat is a misdemeanor. if it were 300 bucks or more, then it would be a felony. i like the idea behind the 3 strikes laws. it overburdens the prison system but it reduces the crap that i have to put up with.
                "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                William Shatner

Comment

During my research, the first two strikes had to be some sort of violent felony and the third strike could be any felony. Thats how it was in California anyway.

I must ask, how many felonies do you have? 1? 2? I bet the answer is none.

Why is it that most of the population will go their whole life without one felony but then we feel so bad for people who get life in prison after their 3rd? Even if it was hamburger meat?

Comment

We have three felonies and your out the ball game for 20 years. It don't take them long when they on a roll or on drugs. It has taken some violent people off the street down here. I think it's a great law.
                    Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what's your guy's opinions of prison in general? Is prison doing anything other than keeping current criminals off the street? Does the threat of going(or going back) to jail keep some people honest?

What about those supermax prisons where you are locked in a cell 23 hours a day with no contact with anyone? I can't even imagine not seeing the sky or reading a book or not exercising. Ooh, some get a TV that they can't control, why bother? And you get to get out for one hour a day to where? A bigger cell with a shower maybe and a chin up bar?, Woo hoo!

Comment

Not to aid and abet in the hijacking this thread but prisons seem to be at an interesting state/time right now. With all the advances in medicine, technology and science we haven't found a way to greatly reduce the number of repeat offenders. I'm of the personal belief that prisons should be not only a form of punishment but offer some form of rehabilitation as well. I don't think it's accomplished by having inmates in cells 23h/day, however I think those super max prisons are reserved for the super high risk offenders, in which case, who can blame them for keeping them there? It gives them little chance to plan/carry out an escape and congregate with other inmates which, most likely, is the cause for their escape/violent behaviour at other prisons and is why they are at the super max in the first place. Until we find some way of completely "rehabilitating" these offenders, we have no choice in whether some treatment of the offenders may seem somewhat less than humane. That's just my opinion.
                        I'll believe that when me $hit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.

Comment

My opinion after years in LEO and a few working inside a prison. I thank GOD everyday that we have them.

Comment

Originally posted by fanish
                            I don't want to hijack this thread, but what's your guy's opinions of prison in general? Is prison doing anything other than keeping current criminals off the street?

NO.

Does the threat of going(or going back) to jail keep some people honest?

Probably not.

What about those supermax prisons where you are locked in a cell 23 hours a day with no contact with anyone? I can't even imagine not seeing the sky or reading a book or not exercising. Ooh, some get a TV that they can't control, why bother? And you get to get out for one hour a day to where? A bigger cell with a shower maybe and a chin up bar?, Woo hoo!
                            Well, if they don't want to go to prison then don't do the crime simple as that. I have no pity for them, they are in prison for a reason Boo Hoo if they can't change the channel on their free TV. I didn't know that a TV remote was an individual's right. The point is they are there cause they did something pretty bad and got caught.

Comment

Did you ever consider that the guy in your example with the $10 worth of meat may have become institutionalized, and wanted to go back inside? No bills, no worries, free food and medical care, and, most important, no decisions to make! And what were his two first felonies? Rape? Murder? ADW? I feel safer with him inside.

And, there are people who choose the criminal lifestyle. They cannot be rehabilitated. The real question is, why must we wait until he hurts people 3 times before we lock him up for 20 years?
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4371 users online. 256 members and 4115 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X