Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congress says Off-duty/retired cops can carry concealed weapons Anywhere

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...&siteSection=1

Have you guys seen this article? What do you think about it?
    Last edited by R00tBreaker; 07-09-2004, 01:57 PM.
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Romans 13:4

Sounds great to me as we would be able to carry out of state.

However, I don't buy the reasoning behind this:

`This legislation will allow thousands of equipped, trained and certified officers to continually serve and protect our communities regardless of jurisdiction and at no cost to taxpayers,'' the House's chief sponsor, Rep. Randy ``Duke'' Cunningham, R-Calif

Heh, I like the words, "Continually" and
    "Regardless of jurisdiction".
    Last edited by TradArcher; 07-09-2004, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I read HR 218 yesterday and noted a clause that I think could be problematic for retired officers, strictly from a legal point of view. The law reads (in part)

`(c) As used in this section, the term `qualified retired law enforcement officer' means an individual who--

`(5) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the State's standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry firearms;

`(d) The identification required by this subsection is--

`(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

`(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer; and

`(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State to meet the standards established by the State for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

Based on these qualifications, retirees will need to be retrained at their own expense every year. Because of the enormous expense involved, you know that most Departments won't do it for them. This means retirees will have to find private vendors who will qualify them according to their respective department's standards. This brings up a new wrinkle.

The law says the Department must certify retirees as having met the requirements. Will they certify them based on a private vendor's statement? Next, the Department must certify on the retired ID cards that the holder met the training qualifications within one year of any date on which they are carrying. In order to avoid falsifying documents, this means the Department must not only verify a retiree's training annually, but it must issue us a new ID card annually (otherwise, an old card would contain a false certification statement). I suspect most Department's are unlikely to go to this much time, trouble and expense for retirees.

Finally, the law requires that if the agency doesn't certify retirees as being training qualified, the state must do so. Probably this will be handled by each state's POST agency. However, here in California we have about 70,000 retired cops who will need certification. Anyone care to guess whether this can be done in a timely manner and how much they will charge for this service?

Don't misunderstand my pessimism. I know it will work. I just think it's going to be a pain in the *** to get it off the ground in the beginning.

Your thoughts folks ??????
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

My initial thought is this:

The fact that off duty (currently employed) police officers, will be officially "licensed" to carry a concealed handgun, in all fifty states.....is a win, almost beyond belief!

In fact, I'll only believe it when I see it on paper! Paper that I can touch!

This is far from a done deal!

Retired cops and the problems of annual recertification?

Peanuts in comparison! If a retired cop wants to carry his weapon outside of his home state, he or she will go to the trouble of getting (somehow) qualified.

I am still far from believing any of this!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DAN'LL

I am still far from believing any of this!

Dan
          Exactly my thoughts when I read it. It sounds almost too good to be true.
          "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Romans 13:4

Comment

Re: Congress says Off-duty/retired cops can carry concealed weapons Anywhere

Originally posted by R00tBreaker
            What do you think about it? [/B]
            It's about time

Comment

It doesn't matter to me since I rarely carry, and if I do, I'll just continue to get a CCW permit in my home state where I don't have to get qualified. Interesting that as a citizen I don't have to qualify, but as a retired cop I would. Yea, a great bill!
              Retired

Comment

I have a news flash. Many retired officers have always carried regardless of the law and ther are very few active duty officers that would have charged a retiree if they found them to be carrying unless it involved another crime. This new law is the best common sense thing Congress has done in decades to improve our lives as peace officers and retirees.

Let's not analize this to death just be happy we have it.

Comment

Originally posted by DAN'LL
                  This is far from a done deal!
                  Oh, but it practically is a done deal. It's been sent to the President, and considering that this was his Administration's policy statement issued on June 23: "The Administration strongly supports H.R. 218 and urges swift House passage of this important measure," I doubt it will take him long to sign this into law.

Comment

This is all well and good, however, often times when I go on vacation, I fly to my destination. Anyone know the procedure for transporting your weapon on a comercial aircraft? If it's a hassle, I'd just as soon leave my weapon at home.

Comment

Last I heard you have to put the ammo and gun in different bags, check both and notify the airline that you have them. Then they put red tags on both to let the whole world, including the baggage handlers know it.

If you do that, get the TSA locks from a luggage store. They can unlock them to search and then lock them back. Otherwise, they cut the locks and your suitcase with the gun goes onboard unlocked.
                      "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                        I have a news flash. Many retired officers have always carried regardless of the law and ther are very few active duty officers that would have charged a retiree if they found them to be carrying unless it involved another crime. This new law is the best common sense thing Congress has done in decades to improve our lives as peace officers and retirees.

Let's not analize this to death just be happy we have it.
                        So currently retired officers who illegally carry in other states should get a pass? Doesn't matter to you that they are violating that state law? And how do you know that very few officers would not charge a retired cop with a crime for carrying? According to what you have posted previouly you would arrest you wife for DUI, but you wouldn't arrest a retired cop for carrying a weapon?

Tell me, how exactly does this new law improve our lives? Again, I don't care if the law is there, I'm just curious.
                        Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retdetsgt
                          Last I heard you have to put the ammo and gun in different bags, check both and notify the airline that you have them. Then they put red tags on both to let the whole world, including the baggage handlers know it.

Absolutely false. I have flown with my firearm many times. The red tag goes on your weapon, iside it's carrier, inside your suitcase. The weapon & ammo can be carried in the same suitcase. I just carry the ammo in the magazine. Never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ViceSgt
                            Absolutely false. I have flown with my firearm many times. The red tag goes on your weapon, iside it's carrier, inside your suitcase. The weapon & ammo can be carried in the same suitcase. I just carry the ammo in the magazine. Never had a problem.
                            They've changed it then. I admit it was several years ago and it was before TSA, but they tagged my suitcase on the outside and I had to separate guns and ammo. Glad its' changed.
                            "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

IMO, active-duty officers should be allowed to carry their guns throughout the United States, but retired officers do not need this responsibility because they are, uhhhh, retired.
                              Visit TheologyWeb.com now!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12119 users online. 508 members and 11611 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X