300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Cruiser In Service

Who has oldest cruiser still in service and how mnay miles ? This has to be a marked patrol car used for daily patrol, traffic etc.It has to actually be in service not a reserve or back up car

Whew...where to begin...the oldest we have that are used on the street everyday are 1998 Crown Vics...they all need to go away.

Most of our fleet consists of 2000 CV's, and the majority of those have over 120k miles on them. Our precinct has more than their share of vehicles with over 150k. We even have one that was rolled back 50k, now over 140k.

It would be one thing if these were meticulously maintained, but they are definitely not. I'd put our fleet up against any as the worst in the nation. We have a vehicle maintenance officer, but nobody seems to know what he does.

Our department has a few 2003's (CV and Impala's) but for the most part they are designated as supervisor's vehicles. A few of the other precincts give them to the shift, and a the downtown details that don't drive anywhere also have more than what they deserve.
    Last edited by RAUDAA; 06-30-2004, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I don't drive one, but I know we have a couple of 1996 CV's still hanging around with almost 100000. One guy has a 98 which he just put over 100000. Mines a 97 with 80000.

Comment

I'm not in a police department, but we have 2 Impalas and a S-10. The Impalas are 2002s, they both almost have 40K on them, we replace them at 40K.

Comment

1995 Crown Vic, 150,000 miles. Well maintained, looks new. It's used as the Chief's take home car, but it goes on line if needed.
          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

At my dept we have a 1995 Chevy blazer that has 148600 miles on it...the ac doesn't work the drivers seats all ripped from peoples duty gear rubbing against it and the dept won't replace the damn thing.
            "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

95 Blazer ?? the suspension on those is usually unsafe after 70K miles.. I wish there was a miles and wear limit on what agencies could stick out on the road.

Comment

I've got a 1997 Ford, 190,000 miles on it and I drive on patrol daily. I had to replace the transmission in it about 5K ago. I took it to the Ford dealer yesterday and guess what! The transmission was on the verge of going out again. It was supposed to be replaced this year, but a few months ago my deputy chief came to me and said "guess what your car is not on the replacement list." So, hopefully it gets replaced next year and will have well over 200K on it.

I have affectionately started to refer to it as my "wonder car" you go out in it and wonder if it will make it through the shift without breaking down. I have also told my relatives to sue the H out of the dept. when I get killed in a wreck, because something on the car broke and caused the accident.

Comment

A friend drives the oldest Crown Victoria in my city's take-home fleet. Something always seems to be wrong with it. The deputy chief keeps telling that he is next in line for one of the new Impalas, but you know how that is....
                  Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them for a while.

Comment

Last I heard, our Airport division still has a 1993 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4 with... get this... less than 50,000 on it. I think they're still using it.

It's used for perimeter patrol, so it never leaves a 1.5 square mile area. That's why the low miles. Fleet maintenance has twice threatened to replace it with a new Jeep Cherokee, but the guys out there don't want to lose it. They say it's got more head room than the Cherokees. As a result, the guys were refusing to write it up for anything at all, even burnt out light bulbs.

Comment

Our cars last ~3 years before we put 100K on them and they get turned in for a new car. I don't think there is an '01 in the parking lot at work. I have heard of guys finding deer when their car hits 90K to get a new one a little sooner. The good thing about racking up miles quickly is the cars always look good for the most part.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

edited this
                        Last edited by lspg2219; 03-24-2006, 10:27 PM.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Jack
                          At my dept we have a 1995 Chevy blazer that has 148600 miles on it...the ac doesn't work the drivers seats all ripped from peoples duty gear rubbing against it and the dept won't replace the damn thing.
                          Somebody should put it out of it's misery and wreck it. You get a guy who hasn't wrecked in a year or so, that way he doesn't get time off for it. It'd be worth it for the hero status and the free meals the guys will buy you right?
                          I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Comment

We have 2 old cars that are issued to rookies during their probationary period. One is a 1993 Crown Vic (not a police interceptor) that the speedo/odometer broke on it about 3 years ago and at that time it had 181400. I got stuck with this car for a while. Then we got a new guy and I got the next oldest car. A 1995 CV (this is a PI) the speedo/odometer was broken on it also at 134804. After I got off probation I got a 2002 Crown Vic and now I have a 2004 that I just got last week, only has 389 miles on it.

Comment

Hijacking a little but still on topic, how many miles do you put on y our car daily?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6894 users online. 365 members and 6529 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X