300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer with Handicap

At a fairly large local Dept. I know of an officer with a leg amputation at the knee, she now has prosthetic. Do you see this as an officer safety issue, or any kind of problem. On the same Dept. I know of another Officer who cut off 2 or 3 fingers, after he had been on for many years, and reamined on the road for approx 5 more years.Thoughts???

well I'm not a PO yet but ...

you or anyone else can blow a knee or a back chasing someone and go down at anytime. if they do a good job, don't reasonable put anyone at risk.

I do feel she should still be fit, not some fat slob. but if they can perform the job bona fides i'd feel confident having them police / protect me. compare that against a 62 year male cop who has a large milwaukee tumor...

but if they can't do the bona fides like pull the trigger or has mental issues reguarding the loss then its a different story.\

virgil

Comment

I saw an episode on COPS once where an officer had a prosthetic leg. One guy got cocky and thought he could outrun the officer. He was wrong.

Comment

I think if the prostetic posed a problem, she wouldnt be on the street anymore, rather at a desk somewhere.

Good for her to overcome the amputation and still be able to do good cop work!

-Z

Comment

An acquaintance of mine is a double amputee, one below the knee and one just above. With the help of some kickass prosthetics, he was able to continue to pass his Army APFT (for those of you who don't know, that includes a 2 mile run) before his eventual discharge.

As someone else pointed out, a prosthetic leg can't be much more of a handicap than a 300 lb. gut or ***.

K

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posetd replies. I am scheduled to attend the Academy in July, but I had a fairly serious Hand Injury, about a year ago with a Metal Lathe. Basically a piece came out and cut 2 tendons on my middle and ring finger and severely broke the PIP (middle finger joint on my Middle finger. So after 5 failed surgeries ended up with that joint mechanically fused at approx 30 degrees of flexion. According to the Dr. I only lost 6% total use of the hand. I guess my point for this whole post is I am wondering how I will handle the academy as far as DT's go, and everything else that may be involved. Alot of my officer friends assure me it won't be a problem, and not to even make it known. As of now, there is nothing I can't physically do now that I did before the injury. and very active, I think it bothers me more in my head than it does physically. I would appreciate any opinions or advice, thank you very much in advance.
            Last edited by ktmguy22; 06-17-2004, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Realize that an officer's disability received after hire is far different from the disability of someone wanting to be hired, in a department's point of view. Are you going to the academy because you've already been hired, or are you self-sponsoring?

Kristen

Comment

I worked with a local officer who lost his leg on the job - and came back to being a motor officer! And we had an investigator with only one arm - he past all the DT/PT/firearms at the academy. His remaining arm was very strong, but his heart (will to be an officer) was even stronger. He could reload a revolver (we carried those back then) faster than many folks with 2 hands.

Find the book "One Tough Marine", about a Recon Marine who lost his legs and returned to active duty in RECON!

Go for it!
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

I am going as a tuition student meaning self sponsor. The academy I am going to, you have to go through a "Hiring Process" if you will through the sponsoring agency. If you met me, you probaly would not even know of the injury, it is no obvious by any means. I still have full grip strength, just lost a little bit of mobility. Also if this makes much of a difference, I am right handed and the injury occured on my left hand. Thanks again.

Comment

There was a guy I trained with who only had one hand. Nothing he liked better than tossing his prosthetic over to someone and saying "Do you need a hand?". Bet he used that joke a lot ...
                    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Comment

If I were you, I would check with any agency you want to work for and make sure it would not be a bar to hiring. It's not about what the layperson perceives, it's about what the doctor conducting the physicals for the department thinks. It would suck to get all the way through and then not get hired because of it.

Kristen

Comment

ofc129,

I will deffinately check into that. What I have been told by a Sgt. of the Dept I really want to work for is, that if I can pass everything they require for the PT test, that I would have no problem whatsoever. But I am sure if they didn't want to hire me for that reason they could find a way. That is what scares me most, is I won't have any problems from a legal standpoint, it the personal issues the Dept may have. If it were to be an issue, my Orthopaedic surgeon will write me a letter stating that I am no weaker and basically stating I am not a liability because of it.

The thing is, I am getting ready to plunk down over $6000 dollars, and leave a very secure job to pursue this, and I want to take as much of the unknown out of it as possible. So far every officer I have shown and discussed this with says not to worry, but I can't help wondering, so I was hoping I could get some more insight, which I have. Thanks again.

Comment

Not to hijack your thread....

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER MAJOR IN CRIMINAL JUSTICE. Study accounting your wife and kids will appreciate it should something knock you out of this line of work.
                          I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2646 users online. 145 members and 2501 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X