300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Feds in Here?

I recently spoke to my career advisor at college and she informed me that the federal government is hiring kids from my school right out the door after graduation, providing they have above a 3.0 gpa, which I have. Is there any way I can find out more about what working for a federal agency, possibly the FBI, is like? The main thing that attracts me to policing is the way the job is different everyday, and not tied down to an office, two things which may be different working for an investigative agency.
    Advice, suggestions, opinions are all appreciated...
    "If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Regis College Campus Police Officer

Re: Any Feds in Here?

Originally posted by FredH
    ...FBI, is like? The main thing that attracts me to policing is the way the job is different everyday, and not tied down to an office, two things which may be different working for an investigative agency.
    Advice, suggestions, opinions are all appreciated...
    Disclaimer: Im not a fed.

It sounds like that which attracts you is that what the FBI doesnt do. If those are the two most important things for you, consider going state or local, or at least a different Fed agency.
    Im currently ignoring ghostsix, Khalid72 & wcucj

Comment

In my opinion, I'd go DEA or ATF. The FBI Agents I've worked with have no clue as far as street smarts and haven't impressed me in the least as far as conducting an investigation. I can't say the same for ATF of DEA Agents.

Comment

Originally posted by JB2245
        In my opinion, I'd go DEA or ATF. The FBI Agents I've worked with have no clue as far as street smarts and haven't impressed me in the least as far as conducting an investigation. I can't say the same for ATF of DEA Agents.
        Ditto. ATF is the best if you don't want to end up in some third world country though. From what I've heard from ATF agents, they're better treated than most federal agents.
        "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

I'm a Senior Special Agent, U.S. Customs (Retired). The agency you choose has a lot to do with the kind of work. FBI, IRS, tend to be indoor, desk jobs (their advertising not withstanding). I too am underwhelmed by most FBI agents. They were lacking in street smarts and even common sense, but thought they were better because they were FBI.

I liked Customs work - visited 11 countries on the job, never knew what the day would hold, got to deal with the Presidents of International Corps. and street people. Did protection with the Secret Service during elections. Worked with most other Federal Agencies. If you like outdoors life, look at Fish & Wildlife, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Indian Affairs, National Marine Fisheries. There are 70+ Federal Agencies that have police/Investigations, find something you like.

One of the factors about Customs (now ICE) that I liked, was the entire job changed about every 3 years. That is, I'd look back and say "I never thought 3 years ago I would be doing THIS!" I did undercover work (very little), Flew in all kinds of aircraft, could have gone into the boat unit, searched ocean going ships, learned how to track people across the desert, stopped weapons from being exported, arrested smugglers, murderers, arsonists, gun runners, sex deviants, you name it. I even got to teach overseas! It was a lot of fun, once I learned the job.

And, I did get hired right out of college. Now I get paid not to work!
          Let me know if you have specific questions.
          Sleuth
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Does being in the Witness Protection Program count ? The pay ain't great but the job is all about location, location and location. I wasn't even a high school grad before but now all my paperwork says I am a doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
              Does being in the Witness Protection Program count ? The pay ain't great but the job is all about location, location and location. I wasn't even a high school grad before but now all my paperwork says I am a doctor.
              Son of a B! they gave you the DOCTOR job!!?!?
              They promised that to me when I turned states I got stuck with a lousy cop job....
              They said someone else took the good jobs before I got my paper work in
              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

You sound like you're looking for a job with the Border Patrol. Working outdoors, dealing with every type of "customer" you can imagine. Simple family units looking for a better job, busting a 3000 pound dope load. Doing absolutely nothing all day. Working your @$$ off all day. You name, the border patrol probably does it.

I've been with the BP for twelve years and have never seriously considered any other job.
                "Public service is not just a job.
                It is an act of citizenship."
                ---G.W. Bush

Comment

Sounds great! How's the pay?
                  "If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
                  - Abraham Lincoln

Regis College Campus Police Officer

Comment

Starting pay 12 years ago was about 50K after the Academy.
                    "Public service is not just a job.
                    It is an act of citizenship."
                    ---G.W. Bush

Comment

I'll have to second that. If you don't want a desk BP is the way to go. I'd have to guesstimate that its aroud $50,000 out of the academy mas o menos. If your looking for the hands on seat of your pants stuff request Arizona. West Texas and New Mexico have their moments too. In my opinion I'd stay away from California, high cost of living and the ninth circuit court make for not such a good time. So I'm told. South Texas can be hit and miss as far as assignments from what I hear. Anyway, good luck on your search and be sure to let us know which way you go.
                      The only thing we have to fear is change itself.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4113 users online. 250 members and 3863 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X