300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime Scene scenario

This is a scenario that we have been given for competition. The crime scene is based on a possible shots fired call by an anonymous complainant. The first arriving officer will find that a victim was found on the scene by fire rescue and then transported to the hospital prior to his or her arrival. The type of the victims injuries are unknown, and there is no other information.

As an officer, what are some of the things you would do upon arrival at the scene?

Wonder how fire rescue arrived at the location, and was able to treat, and then transport a victim to the hospital before I or any other unit arrived to a shots fired call.
    Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired
      Wonder how fire rescue arrived at the location, and was able to treat, and then transport a victim to the hospital before I or any other unit arrived to a shots fired call.
      Right Retired!! Especially at a shots fired call, FD won't even go near a shots fired call until its been secured by PD. It's an unrealistic scenerio, and I would tell them that.

But if they are intent on forcing that scenerio on you. First responder would secured the scene, call for a super but he's probably on the way anyway. After the scene is secured call homicide detectives and start a crime scene entry list. That's really it. You could have dispatch pull a phone number off of the CAD system and have them try to locate the RP.

Once your super gets there he will probably have you canvass the area for witnesses. Unless it's apparent who the shooter is on the scene and an arrest is made on the spot the case will be handed off to detectives. If you have info on the shooter and enough PC you may try to locate him that night.

Comment

Originally posted by mait129
        Right Retired!! Especially at a shots fired call, FD won't even go near a shots fired call until its been secured by PD. It's an unrealistic scenerio, and I would tell them that.
        Not necessarilly, I guess it depends on where you work. I've been to many shooting scenes where EMS arrived and transported the complainant prior to my arrival. In that case, you secure the scene and find any witnesses you can. Also, make your notifications.

Comment

Crime Scene

Guess it depends on where you are.Bottom line-Secure/Preserve the scene as you find it.

Comment

Crime scene

Let me add just a little to my last post.It's been my unfortunate experience that many crime scenes are screwed up by other cops,as in supervisors.You also have the local elected officials,mayors council people etc,who will screw up your scene in a moment.If all else fails,note the presence of each of them,including supervisors who are not needed,and put them on your witness list. A subpeona or two usually cures curiosity.

Comment

Re: Crime scene

Originally posted by PhilipCal
              Let me add just a little to my last post.It's been my unfortunate experience that many crime scenes are screwed up by other cops,as in supervisors.You also have the local elected officials,mayors council people etc,who will screw up your scene in a moment.If all else fails,note the presence of each of them,including supervisors who are not needed,and put them on your witness list. A subpeona or two usually cures curiosity.
              You are correct, it is different depending on where you work. I never witnessed a supervisor screwing up a crime scene in my entire career. I also never had a problem with city officals etc, even trying to gain entry to a crime scene.

I disagree that supervisors are not needed. It is their job to monitor your performance, and help you if you need it, or if you are performing incorrectly.
              Retired

Comment

Re: Crime Scene scenario

Originally posted by Alyssa
                This is a scenario that we have been given for competition.
                If its a competition, wouldn't this be cheating? I would think that talking to officers would give the answer away pretty easily and anyone could do that.

K9

Comment

Well, over here, we'd ...

1. Protect life. Is there anyone else injured? Is the gun-man (woman?) still in the area? Also, you'd want to find out where the injured party had been taken. And which ambulance has taken him there, as that is now a crime scene. Also, an officer is going to have to go to hospital to be with him to seize evidence.

2. Investigate the crime. If you're the first there, that'll mean you secure the crime scene. Until you're relieved, you're the Investigating Officer. No-one goes in, regardless of rank, until you give permission. Start taking notes. Inform supervisory. They can arrange everything else. You've got a job.
                  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Comment

Nobody
                    Forum Member
                    Last edited by Nobody; 05-15-2004, 09:01 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4471 users online. 246 members and 4225 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X