300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guns for police academys?

what gun would u choose for police academy if u had a choice?

It's a tough question. My personal choice would be the Glock 19 or 23 depending on what caliber you were required to use.

I think the glock is the best combat pistol there is, but there are many other fine brands, SIG's come to mind.

Comment

yeah i was think that too ,i've been thinking about just using my rugger p89 9mm ,their pretty reliable but i also need to mess with my sight on it.

Comment

I used a Glock 22 and was really happy with it. I wish my department would issue them.

Comment

Better ask yourself two qusetions.
          1. What guns does the class allow ?
          2. What gun does the department you wish to work for use ?

AND then what gun are you comfortable with that fits your hand etc BEST.

Comment

It's totally upto the department to choose on the type of gun to issue. However, I think Glock 17 and 22 are the most favored ones in the market.
            Better to sweat in the gym than to bleed on the street

Comment

thanks for the replies, bodie those are some good questions, i got to find out what they require,and probally go shoting more than i have been. application deadline ain't to october so i haven't talk to them yet and i just got a information pack telling me the application process and requirments are. i've been doing my own background search on me to see what comes up. i'm looking at police reports to do that does anybody else have any other ways to do that. I'm pretty sure nothing will come up just seeing if anything does. i had two semi serious stuff in jr.high and high school. i'm 25 now but i think that stuff should be off any kind of record there is out there, not shure?

Comment

I'm going to be using my Beretta 92FS when I put myself through the academy in July. It's a great pistol and reliable as heck.

What I'd recommend is take a look around for some GOOD used guns. More than likely any agency that hires you will either give you a pistol or give you the money to buy one, so you don't have to worry too much about a brand spanking new firearm to get through the academy. Don't get some Chinese knock-off or a brand no one has ever heard of. Make sure you get a full size or near full size pistol, and it should be in 9mm, .40, or .45. A few recommendations for brands:

- Glock (17 or 19 sized)
                - SIG 220 or 226
                - Heckler Koch USP, maybe USP Compact
                - Beretta 92 or 96
                - Ruger P Series
                - Smith and Wesson (Full sized, I can never keep those numbers straight)

I'd personally stay away from a 1911 type pistol in the academy for the simple reason that they tend to be very expensive and can be touchy. For me personally, if I couldn't find a good used specimen from this list, I'd buy a new pistol from this list. Up to you and your academy, though.

Comment

Hmm I have yet to see an acemdy that required you to have your own gun to shoot. Thats a new one to me.
                  Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

California academies all require you to provide your own firearm, which must meet their list of criteria. Agency sponsored cadets just go in with their department issued weapon, but self-sponsors have to bring their own. I'm just glad I've already got one and don't have to lay down the bucks for it now in addition to the $3K in tuition and equipment.

Comment

I believe that Washington state does not require you have you own gun to shoot.

Also I have heard that the higher caliber glocks have a chance of exploiding. Also glocks are ugly. And the reason Police departements tend to isue them is because they are cheap. People say they are reliable but so are tons of other pistols. And they dont work well for leftys like me.

My personal choice of a pistol would be a Kimber Pro CDP .45 expensive but beutiful and nice features.

By the way I like glocks I tend to shoot really well with them. But there are others I like too.

Comment

I went thru the academy with a Ruger P95 9mm para. But after I graduated and got sworn in a got a Glock. I love both guns though.
                        If you knew you would fight for you life tomorrow, would you change the way you trained today?

Comment

I went through the academy with a wheel gun.

I now use Glock 23 daily, Glock 22 when in uniform, and a Glock 27 stashed somewhere close usually.

I would choose the Glock.
                          -I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol...

Comment

BAH!!!! Glocks are pretty cool people but cmon get some variety in your lives...

JK...Just giving you guys a hard time..

Comment

I spent 9 years as the lead Firearms/Officer Safety Instructor at our academy, with both basic and in-service classes. Based on my experience, I would select a quality 9mm - why have to fight recoil/muzzle blast when you should be focused on the basics? My choice would, at this time, be a SIG.
                              If I were to re-enter the Academy as a student, I have a deep fondness for the 1911, or a SIG220, in .45. But I'm also a "dedicated" shooter - at least 10,000 rounds/year.
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3419 users online. 239 members and 3180 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X