300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any USAF cops...past or present?

I enlisted in the air force and i leave june 8th. I got my security forces job and was wondering what it was like. Anybody that has any info on it would be great. Do you get to carry off base or do you have lock your weapons up everynight? How long is the typical shift? Thanks alot.

I am a Security Forces Officer and currently a shift commander and EST commander.

PM me if you wish.

Comment

Just got out of the SFs in MArch 2003..pm me too if ya want..I'll give you the enlisted point of view, which may differ considerably from an officers.
      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

I am a SF enlisted member in the ANG. I graduated the academy in 2002. PM me with questions if you want to.

Comment

Active duty SF from 1986-1999 (with a 4-year break/mistake of leaving to go on recruiting duty), reserves from 1999-2001, called up from 2001-2003, back on reserve status now. In other words, I've done it for a while.

Standard shift for SF is 8-hours, usually a 6 on, 3 off schedule. Of course there aren't many that have worked that schedule in many, many years. Typically most units are working some variation of a 12-hour shift schedule where, on average, you work 3 on, 3 off.

Weapons are the Air Force's, you arm up prior to the start of a shift and turn it in at the end. You are on duty ONLY during your shift and are prohibited from carrying your shield in your wallet off duty.

The job has it's advantages and disadvantages. You will work hard some days and others be bored out of your skull. Outside of special ops and tactical control party personnel, you will be the only people in the Air Force trained in infantry tactics. In other words, you'll be the only ones with a clue during the Air Force version of war games!

Best of luck, you couldn't pick a worse time to spend in basic training and technical school. June in San Antonio. Better like heat and humidity because you're going to get a ton of it.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
          "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

Air National Guard Security Forces here.

Did a year at Macdill after sept 11.

12 hour shifts, either 3on3off or work mon/tues, off wed thurs work fri/sat/sun, then next week youre off on mon/rues, work wed/thurs and off fri/sat/sun. had training on one of your off days one day per month. Glad to be back in Deputy Brown now. Not much L.E. on active duty, mostly security.
            SEMPER FI
            DEFENSOR FORTIS

STAY SAFE

Comment

LE depends on your base.

I am a shift commander and have a Flt Chief 5 LE patrols (in sedans), and 2 K-9 (in SUV's) I have for JUST LE (Security is another animal which I am in charge of).
              Last edited by Trendz; 04-08-2004, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Let me assure you that Trendz stats are the EXCEPTION and not the norm. There are a few select bases that might see such action.

Be prepared to see all facets of security forces, not just street patrol. You'll work the gates (unless they make the mistake of outsourcing), the flightline, missile sites and also prepare for and actually deploy, probably to the Persian Gulf. Go in expecting to be a beat cop and you're ripe for disappointment.
                "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

Very true... sometimes I think I am stationed and Barnum and Bailey's 3 Ring Circus...

I was on nights for a year and days for a year too FYI.

Comment

USAF cops eat there young..plan on watching planes in all weather for 12+ hours. Plan on getting deployed to the sandbox for months at a shot. I would go fire if I where you
                    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Thank you for all of your replies!

Comment

Awww, don't discourage the new kid. Tell him all about the neat uniforms that drive the ladies wild, the high tech gear, high speed chases ....... oops, you said Air Force! Never mind.

Really, thank you for choosing to serve our country.
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4112 users online. 248 members and 3864 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X