300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "what if" guy???

I'm in a law enforcement class right now and there is this damn kid thats always asking the "what if" questions. ****es everyone off, including the teacher I think. This kid waists so much time in class.

Is this a big problem in the acadamy? How do you deal with it?

tease him about it ...if his questions are not valid

Asking questions is the only way a lot of people can learn. Usually I learn more from the questions then the presentations.

Comment

Approach the offending student outside of class and ask, "What if you asked another 'what if' question and I kicked your *** -- would that stop you from doing so in the future?"
      Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
        Approach the offending student outside of class and ask, "What if you asked another 'what if' question and I kicked your *** -- would that stop you from doing so in the future?"
        LMAO

What if that doesn't work?

Comment

As a former Instructor at our academy, I would have an after class session with him if his questions were off the wall. If they were reasonable, I would do nothing. I would evaluate if he/she was trying to show off, show me up, or just learned differently. As long as everyone 'got' the material, I would not care.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

As an instructor, I don't answer most of those questions. Instead I tell the student that we can address that during break or after the class.

Comment

It's just the type of questions. I'm not saying ALL 'what if' questions are stupid but the questions this kid asks are. For instance, on Friday we were talking about possession of marijuana and who gets charged if it's found in a vehicle, etc. We were discussing if weed is found under the passenger seat, it's a good chance the driver wont be arrested, officer discretion, blah, blah, blah. Then the kid comes up with "Well what if somebody steps on a roach outside and it sticks to their shoe and gets into the car."

Now I know this particular problem has reached epidemic proportions in this country but come on!!! What do you expect the instructor to say after a question like that! I wish I could think of more examples(because I know there are better examples) but I tend to shut down when his mouth opens.

Comment

To demonstrate the irrelevance of his question(s) ask him:

What if grasshoppers carried machine guns would birds still try to eat them?

or

What if your sister grew a (male member), would she be your brother?

Hope it helps.
                The only thing we have to fear is change itself.

Comment

Take up a collection and buy or have made a waht if tee shirt and present it to him. Or plan to get everybody to all at once start say "what if" everytime he opens his mouth.

Comment

My Dad was one of the biggest "what-if'ers" of the century. Drove me nuts!

Classic pessimist; always saw the glass half-empty.

Retorting to one of his "what-ifs" one time, I asked, "What if this damned world blew up into a bazillion pieces later today?"

However, there was a time the cynical olde phart had a point. I was in the 4th grade, having trouble with this bully. Mad, I was sitting on the porch whittling on a hefty 2 foot length of branch. Dad asked me what I was making. I told him a Rosenbaum club. Dad said, "Nice; but what if Rosenbaum grabs it, and uses it for a [my last name] club?" I was dumbfounded, to say the least.
                    Whenever I teach using batons, on the retention phase of the training, I share that story. Makes the point.
                    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

There is always ONE that asks the stupid questions. Get used to it. When you go on calls the public will "what if" you to death.
                      "Don't bother to run, you will only go to jail tired!"

Comment

Hee hee... I had a guy just like this about eight years ago in a class. Had a comment for everything, and always asking dumb questions that he thought would show how bright he was. The instructor tried to put him off. The instructor tried to ignore him. The class would turn and give him nasty looks. He was immune. Finally, one woman turned and said "Would you please SHUT UP?!?!" The class broke up in laughter and applause, and finally light dawned on marble head! :-) Maybe if you have a cute girl in your class you could get her to do the honors... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
                          LOL

Comment

The advice recieved on this thread is perhaps the best advice so far. Thanks guys!

Comment

I never minded dumb questions, but we always had some idiot that asked them as we were taking breaks, breaking for lunch or the end of the day....
                              "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4363 users online. 240 members and 4123 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X