300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swat

hi,I was wondering what the procedure is for a civilian to get into special weapons and tactics (S.W.A.T.) and is it true that one has to be an american or get an american citizenship.i myself live in ireland and have always been very curious to how this process works.

You have to be a police officer first.

Comment

1. You usually need years on the street as an officer before you apply to be on SWAT.
      2. Almost all agencies require U.S. Citizenship before joining the department.

So, you have some hurdles to jump before you get to dress in "tactical black".
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

they might have some kind of swat teams in ireland. in America, yes you have to be a police officer for a while, and to be the popo here you gotta be a citizen.
        We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

SWAT

Think we had another Irish guy asking essentially the same question.Okay.first thing is,you've got to be a U.S. citizen.There may be some agencies that will waive that requirement,but I don't personally know of any.Regarding SWAT.You pay your dues. You generally work patrol,shag calls,cut reports,gain experience.You can apply for SWAT,or any specialized unit after a certain period of time,usually 3-4 years on most agencies.You may or may not make the cut. I'd suggest you contact the Gardai.They have a fine reputation both in Ireland and abroad.They're quite selective,and can afford to be.That's one reason they have the great reputation they enjoy.With the Gardai,you've met the first requirement,as I assume you're an Irish citizen.Stay in touch,and let us know how you do.

Comment

Sorry Philipcal, that's incorrect, there are a number of US depts and states which do not require US citizenship. The rest of his statement my fine Irish friend, is accurate. You want SWAT you have to earn it, and it ain't easy.
            It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

Sorry Philipcal, that's incorrect, there are a number of US depts and states which do not require US citizenship.
              Right on. Some large departments will actually sponsor someone who isn't a citizen, and get a visa for them...very tough, but not impossible.
              Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

SWAT

Hey Guys,thanks for the "heads-up" regarding citizenship.Learn something new every day.Thanks again!!

Comment

Usually, to sponsor someone for entry into this country for a job, you have to certify that he/she has special, specific skills that no current legal U.S. resident has. For example, many former members of the Hong Kong Police came here under a special bill in Congress. It was due to their ability to speak Chinese and their understanding of the Tongs (Chinese gangs).
                  So, unless you already have special skills, don't expect a PD to sponsor you just to be a patrol officer.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4020 users online. 230 members and 3790 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X