300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wannabes

NOW HONESTLY, WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE HARDCORE WANNABE COPS THAT ARE AROUND? I AM AT A UNIVERSITY PURSUING MY BACHELORS DEGREE AND IT SEEMS AS IF HALF OF MY CLASSMATES ARE WANNABES. I TRANSFERRED FROM A COMMUNITY COLLEGE AND THEY WERE SLIM TO NONE. ITS VERY SUPRISING-YOU WOULD THINK AT A BETTER SCHOOL THERE WOULD BE BETTER PEOPLE. I AM SO PROUD TO SAY THAT I AM NOT ONE, BUT MY QUESTION IS WHAT MAKES YOU ONE? IS IT YOUR UPBRINGING? IS IT THE FACT THAT PEOPLE WATCH ALL THE GLAMORIZED SHOWS ON TV? I GUESS I JUST GREW UP NORMAL AND DON'T HAVE THE DESIRE TO DRIVE AROUND AN EX-SQUAD CAR THAT OBVIOUSLY LOOKS LIKE ONE WITH THE SPOTLIGHT STILL INTACT. PATHETIC OR WHAT? I'VE READ SOME OF THE POSTS ON THIS BEFORE AND AGREE AT HOW BAD IT WOULD LOOK TO SHOW UP AT AN INTERVIEW WITH A POLICE DEPT DRIVING AN EX-SQUAD. WERE ANY OF THE CURRENT COPPERS ON THIS SITE THIS WAY OR ACQUAINTED WITH PEOPLE LIKE THIS? DO THEY ACTUALLY MAKE IT? ITS SUPRISING TO ME BECAUSE THEY DON'T REALLY SEEM LIKE THEY HAVE IT THEM TO PASS THE BI. FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT AND PROBABLY PRETTY HUMOROUS.

Genetic defect, I suspect.
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Dude, get a life. Ever think maybe YOU are the odd ball out?? there is nothing wrong with having a strong desire to pursue a career of your interest. When I was in college, all of my classmates were "wannabes" but did you ever think maybe they don't REALLY talk cop 24/7. Being that they just happen to be in CLASS, just like you, trying to better themselves, its normal to want to talk to other people of similar interest, about those interests. Do you talk to your girlfriend about seeing a hot chick the other day? No, your going to talk to your guy friends about that (assuming you are a straight male). If anything, I'd say YOU will be the one to fail a BI or fail out of an academy (or) those "wannabes" will be your supervisor someday.

yes, driving a retired patrol car is kind of odd I admit honestly, how many people at your school do this? What like 1 maybe? Honestly, I hope you have 4 more years of college before becoming a cop yourself becuase it seems as though you have a lot of growing up to do.

And since you say you're not a wannabe, does that mean you don't want to be a cop? What do you want to be, a career security guard?

disclaimer: for those on here that are security guards, nothing wrong with it. I don't mean to be offensive about it.

Comment

When I worked at a state park as a beach attendant one of my coworkers was like that. He had gone to school for JA hadn't done anything with it and was like 25. Talked about policing all the time bought a used police Taurus, tried using all this ridiculously official sounding language on the radio(um we're $8ph DNR summer employees here) got one the Property Manager's nerves sticking his nose into stuff that wasn't his job and was a total compulsive liar. I can see why he still wasn't an officer.

Comment

Originally posted by AKwannabe
          Dude, get a life. Ever think maybe YOU are the odd ball out?? there is nothing wrong with having a strong desire to pursue a career of your interest.
          actually, i think he was using the wrong term. i think what he's referring to is the "cop buffs". there's a slight difference between the two. the wannabe's arent nearly as silly as the buffs.
          "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
          William Shatner

Comment

He just makes it sound as though EVERYONE around him is the same way

Comment

I know some police wannabe's who have a strong desire to be officers, but I would say that it is only helping them. They really want it, have worked for it, and are making good choices in their lives to get it. They may get annoying at times but thats OK, I respect that. I'm excited about it but just have a different way of expressing it. I wouldn't ridicule them for it, but thats just me.

Comment

AKwannabe don't get me wrong we're all wannabes it's just that you can tell that theres us that are gonnabes and the ones that will always be wannabes. Theres more than a few with the retired patrol cars that are always talking about how they are gonna ace the driving school part because they already practice with their Crown Vics. That's pretty sad. I love talking about cops and I wasn't trying to offend anyone, but I think you all know the guys that I am talking about. I have always wanted to be a cop for as long as I can remember and I already have a non-sworn position with a local police dept which already has me with a foot in the door for the future when I am finished with school. I was not trying to offend anyone by any means and I apologize if I did. Most of the guys I am talking about are maybe just immature but i guess they do have passion as do I, I'm just busting my as! getting through school and am super concentrated on that. Those guys just bug me. Sorry!!

Comment

Barts right. Cop buffs sounds better. Eating, sleeping, ****!ing cops is not healthy. that'll set em up for a pretty quick burnout if thats all thats on their minds.

Comment

"Buffs - Wannabe's" all the same. Many folks are "attracted" to the position simply because of the "power" associated with it along with a firearm.

I've seen many people while in the Academy before trying to "effect an arrest - without a fiream!" I mean these guys went the limit! They went into neighborhoods looking for a 'crime" to be committed.

Because of this the Academy "witholds" Shields until graduation, still there have been incidents were a "recruit officer" tried to effect an arrest with just an I.D! This practice started in the 70's.

Just like everything else TV popularizes and makes it appear romantic - adventurous to be an officer.

People fail to see the long and short of it depending upon where you're applying will dictate the amount of activity you'll engage in. If you reside in a rural area your experience will be decidely dffirent than the largee inner city Departmeent.

If someone "fails" to pass the exam then they should pursue the Auxillary or Reserve whatever available in your area.

We've had more than our share of "wannabe's" here in New York City. Many of these characters show up at the Police Auto Auctions where old vehicles are stripped of their equipment, the high performance motors removed and most of the markings are removed or sprayed over. Still there are a few who "try" to restore the paint job complete with markings! When caught they're fined facing possible prison time for impersonating an officer.

Bottom line : Level of Maturity. Some one remain "Hot Dogs" even after appointment.

Comment

Sometimes I get a little concerned about people who are too enthusiastic about being a cop. Is there some personality problem they have they think being a cop will fix? I'm thinking in terms of having to prove something to the world or themselves. That makes me nervous. I've seen some who were the guys who grew up having sand kicked in their face all their life and now they're going to get back at the world for all the humiliation they had to endure. They're the ones with the 50 lb badges.

Also the ones who are overly judgmental of the rest of the world and have some sort of vendeta against drunk drivers, abusive men, or whatever. I've seen them too and they're scary.

When I was an FTO, I always asked the person I was training right off why they wanted to be a cop. Invaribly the ones who were looking for a job and thought this might be interesting turned out to be pretty good police officers. Those who had been dreaming of being a cop all their lives caused me to watch them a little more closely. Some were okay, but a lot were obviously out to fulfill some fantasy. This ain't a good place for fantasies.
                      "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

invisible and retdet you two are so right...it's really all about the power associated with the job. i have to admit most of the guys that I see aren't in the best shape and could either stand to lose some weight or gain some muscle. maybe they were the ones who were bullied and made fun of as kids and this is their ticket back at the world that wronged them. I had an uncle that was a cop when I was real young so I was exposed to him, not really as a police officer but as a real fun uncle, maybe thats what drew me to wanting to become a cop. I honestly couldn't tell you where it came from. I love helping people and and making a difference which really impacts if I were to work in a big city and run call to call to call or suburban where I don't clear the calls as fast and feel I'm making a difference.

Comment

I am in college as well. And I too want to be a police officer very strongly. I watch COPS a lot, and mainly because a lot of the crap that happens on the show is just funny to see.

I know a kid that is getting a CRJ major just as I am, and he works for a department in records. He did the explorer program as well... So i would probably call him a 'hardcore'. I think using the term 'wannabe' is wrong to call people. I will agree that there are people that ARE just wannabe's. But then there are people such as myself who have the strong desire to become an LEO.

I think it is wrong to bash all the people you call 'wannabes'.

I just think that a lot of people just want to be cops.

So maybe next time you bash people you may want to specify clearer, rather than just 'wanna be cops'...

Just my opinions.

Good luck with your degree.

-Z

Comment

retdetsgt....Is the response "I never want to see the inside of a cubicle" an ok one?

Comment

There's a distinct difference between an individual "interning or apprenticing" and between buffs and wannabe's

The MAJOR difference is the apprectice or intern will do everything in their reach to "research" the position prior to committment. This may include "Explorers" which I refer to as apprentice/intern.

Buffs/Waanabe's on the other hand are intoxicated with the job and the "concept" of being an officer. This is why they pick up used vehicles, look for parts of uniforms to wear(T-Shirts with logos, etc.) and learning the "10 Code" etc.

Occassionally more than a few Buffs/Wannabe's do make it and get appointed. If they don't "clean up their act" they usually wash out(hopefully before their antics can get someone hurt). On more than one occassion I suspect we've had members of this genre.

The one's that make it through give everyone else FEVER! The "Hot Dogging" wearing their uniforms almost everywhere, in civies a "noticable" bulge where they carry guns & cuffs, you've seen the "type. Just "looking to make a collar!"

Aside from this idiotic behavior, you've got the ones who think the "uniform" is a sex magnet." A few years ago it got so bad the Department had an Order out regarding these "uniformed romeo's."
                              Basically it stated that "personnel shall refrain from onduty flirtations." I thought that was a hoot! I saw both male & female officers acting "foolishly" in public. Really.

Nevertheless, this job unlike a great many other careers attracts every personality type and people from every walk of life. Some know the "limitations" others reside in their fantasy world.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4242 users online. 230 members and 4012 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X