300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourette Syndrome

Do you guys think someone with Tourette Syndrome has a chance of becoming a LEO?

Is it under control?
    - GJD

Comment

God Dammit, what the FU*K are you thinking peice of SHI*! Couldn't resist

Comment

Not Logical Choice For Career for many reasons. Reaction if it gets out of control at wrong time in wrong situation could be deadly while on a "normal job" it wouldn't matter.
        Last edited by Bodie; 02-11-2004, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I don't think it would be a logical choice either. In my former career, I was a cook. We had a dishwasher with tourettes. Whenever we would get busy, he'd get stressed and start grunting and shaking his head. Not meaning to be humorous but the closet way to describe it is that he remended me of Curly from the Three Stooges the way that Curly used to make the sounds and slap himself. In LE that wouldn't look very good.
          In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

Depending on how bad or how easily it surfaces would be a big factor.

On a side note I do believe the Oklahoma Highway Patrol may actually require Tourette Syndrome now.

Last edited by Navy Guy; 02-05-2004, 07:15 PM.
            I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

I don't know much about it, but IIRC it can be triggered by stress. Could you handle a very streesful cross-examination in court? Could you function 100% in the street in high stress situations? No need to answer here, just ask yourself "Could I trust my life to a partner with the same problem?"
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

Hey !!! Don't ever advise somone to hide or not diclose a medical condition they could get hurt or killed or even get another officer hurt or killed. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING ???????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  Hey !!! Don't ever advise somone to hide or not diclose a medical condition they could get hurt or killed or even get another officer hurt or killed. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING ???????????????????????
                  Who suggested that?????

Geez, I got in enough trouble shooting off my mouth inappropriately without Tourette Syndrome....
                  "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

I edited the post to remove the offending comment. Can we let this one die now?
                    I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

I don't have TS................and I sound like that on calls sometimes. Whats the big deal?
                      If you stare into the abyss long enough,sometimes it stares back.

Comment

I think it is a great idea, go in under the ADA and you will have a permanent excuse that they can NOT legally fire you for. You can say the things we all want to and it isn't your fault...as a matter of fact, you're the victim and deserve special treatment This could be great, I need to get some of that syndrome, it might help me explain my language.
                        Live your Tactics, Hope is NOT a method!

Comment

LOL,it's not like that.I don't have the Moe,Larry, Curly with the foul mouth syndrome.It's just a mild head movement.In fact alot of people spend alot of time with me before they even realize i have it,so i guess you could say it is under control.As for a partner wondering if i would let them die because of it? I would never let that happen!!!!I want to thank everyone for the input but i'm going today to drop off my application and let the board be the deciding factor.Again, thank you all for the input,some were very amusing and some made me do alot of thinking.I'll let you know how it goes.

Sincerely,
                          Softball24

Comment

Softball, good luck. But please don't mis-interpert what I wrote. It's not that you might "let them die", but could your illness prevent you from responding promtly and efficently to save them. To me, that would be the deciding factor.
                            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Sleuth,
                              I understand where you're coming from.Believe me, i've been thinking this over for about 2 years.My brother and best friend both have been LEO'S for 10 years and they keep telling me that i have nothing to worry about.I guess i was just looking for an unbiased opinion.My condition does'nt hinder me in any way it's more a physical appearence thing to me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4159 users online. 233 members and 3926 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X