300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coast Guard

This weekend, I'm going to visit with a recruiter for the US Coast Guard Reserve. In regards to experieance for other law enforcement jobs, what would USCGR experience be cosidered?
    JB
    Romans 13:1-5

I was told by a deputy, it is the same as someone coming out of the Navy, Army, Air Force and Marines...it's a branch of the military, therefore it's military experience!!! But ask your recruiter about that to make sure!

Comment

Not sure about reserves but I was Active Duty Coast Guard. The Coast Guard offers opportunities in Maritime Law Enforcement that the other branches don't. In the CG you can become a Boarding Team Member conducting counter narcotics boardings or even be assigned to a Tactical Law Enforcement Team (TACLET). LE is considered a collateral duty at most operational units other than TACLET's but there is great opportuniy for training and experience in the USCG!
      Whatever you do don't take yourself or this job too seriously!!!!

Remember, around here the trauma plate goes on the backside to help you survive the endless backstabbing!!!!

Comment

USCG is generally considered military experience. They are in some wierd never never land where they fall under the Dept of Treasury (may have changed w/ Homeland Security) during peace time and then they become a branch of the Department of Defense during war. This may not be entirerly accurate a Coast Gaurdsman tried to explain it to me 3 years ago and it was confusing then.

Coast Gaurdsmen to their credit have fought and died in just about every war we have had.

Even the mighty US Navy uses CG boarding teams when conducting counter narcotics operations (Federal law prevents the armed forces from law enforcement and for a good reason).

On a side note I went to school with a couple of their officers in Newport, RI. I was told there equipment is pretyy antiquated, and there ships are old. So if you enlist I'd definately pick a rate where you use equipment rather than maintain it.

And Ramathorn this joke is for you

Q: How many Coasties does it take for a burial at sea?
        A: 5, one to dump the casket overboard and 4 to stomp it into the mud.
        I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

I was told there equipment is pretyy antiquated, and there ships are old.
          I've seen some of their boats, and they have some nice "rides". I live about 10 minutes away from their station on Miami Beach. Of course I would think they need it to catch up with the speed boats that are now being used to smuggle in drugs and people.

Comment

Like I said it was 2nd hand information. I was mostly talking about there Cutters.
            I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

I hear you, one of their boats that i saw the other day was this wierd looking thing. A friend of mine that is a captain for a small boat right next to their station said that it was weird looking because it was designed to flip over and then flip right back. I don't know much about boats and he does so it all sounded like chinese to me. But according to him they have some very good equipment. And as you said it's all second hand info to me as well. Not very fond of boats, they give me motion sickness, not fun at all.

Comment

The Coasties are a fine goup, I have used them to assist on a few occasions. They have somewhat muddled their image when they got away from lifesaving and more into drug interdiction.
                If you get motion sick, it may not be the service for you.
                Last edited by Sleuth; 02-25-2004, 01:41 PM.
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

If you get motion sick, it may not be the service for you.
                  I was just talking about he station by my house, not condsidering the Coast Guard. I prefer to be on land, feels better to me.

Comment

Coast Guard

Coast Guard is a branch of the Armed Forces.With all the re-organization post 9-11,it's now a Homeland Security Component.The Coast Guard has always had a law enforcement role(Revenue Cutter Service). The Maritime Boarding ,Drug Interdiction would stand you in good stead with many LE agencies. The discipline and teamwork ethics you would leave the service with will assist you in any LE endeavor.

Comment

I don't know much about their boats but I fly a little plane out of a small airport on the coast of lake michigan and they fly a helicopter out of the same airport. From what I understand, it is one of the best helicopters on the market. To me, it looks like the best money can buy but then again, I don't know much about helicopters. It's a loud sucker though.

Comment

USCG is generally considered military experience. They are in some wierd never never land where they fall under the Dept of Treasury (may have changed w/ Homeland Security) during peace time and then they become a branch of the Department of Defense during war.
                        From what I've heard and read, that's pretty accurate. They are now part of Homeland Security. I always thought it was sort of tragically humourous that guys ran to sign up for the Coast Guard before being drafted during Viet Nam only to find themselves patrolling the Mekong Delta.
                        one of their boats that i saw the other day was this wierd looking thing. A friend of mine that is a captain for a small boat right next to their station said that it was weird looking because it was designed to flip over and then flip right back.
                        I believe that's true -- I saw a bit on those vessels on Discovery, TLC, or something like that. Flip 'em over and within 15 seconds they right themselves. The show I saw showed them in action in heavy surf.

I know a CG veteran that's now a cop. His history with the CG certainly helped him get a bid. While in the CG he was a rescue swimmer and a scuba diver.

And regarding their changing responibilities: I was talking with a couple of ATF inspectors today and we got around to talking about all the changes taking place in federal LE these days. They said there was a lot of talk about the CG adopting more of a LE function in the future.
                        Last edited by kirch; 02-24-2004, 04:38 PM.
                        Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

actually....

they were last a part of the dept of transportation, before the switch to homeland security.

take it from a former cadet

but yes, they were also part of the treasury dept before and would act as part of the military if needed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2286 users online. 137 members and 2149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X