Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Day of the Academy

Academy days are over.....
    Last edited by cilee571; 09-01-2005, 09:24 PM.
    "Nobody cares when the tears of a clown fall down."

Interesting...

First day of the academy is really an orientation. You get to see the instructors/officer, your squad supervisor, your class coordinator, your sgt, captain and major. You'll see the Cheif or his/her Deputy give a welcome speech and so will other officer, major through squad supervisor. You'll get to know what to expect when you goof off or slack. You'll learn the reporting process and how to prepare for inspection. Plus, you'll get your classroom materials(policy manuals, schedule, etc), your lockers, etc.
    You'll be given a list of what to buy...such as what kinda shoes, shorts, socks, pen/pencil, etc.
    You'll be doing alot of paper works, get your mug-shots...Police ID, in other words...lol.

Make sure to take a notebook and couple of pens with you.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY TELL YOU...AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.

Some academies furnish the uniform and supplies on the first day of academy, while others send cadets to the supplier to fit them in uniforms and get the uniforms and supplies ordered.

Dress professionally...
    Males: suit and tie, NO earings, No facial hair, hair cut, necklace/chain should NOT be visible.
    Females: Conservative dressing...no mini skirts, tube tops or halter tops, sleeveless tops, or collor too wide. No heavy make up...they'll pick on you on first day if you try to be too flushy and too "sexy dressed".

Get there at least 20 min. earlier...It doesn't hurt to wait outside for a few min.

One more thing...TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONES, PAGERS, ALARMS, STOP WATCH OR ANY DEVICE THE MAKES NOISE.

Show the motivation for hard training.
    DO NOT TALK BACK or CUT THE OFFICER'S SPEECH..."GIVE" expalnation ONLY when you're told to do so.
    Remember one thing....OFFICERS/TRAINERS ARE GODS...THEY'RE ALWAYS RIGHT...

One last thing before I forget...
    Female officer = "Ma'am"
    Male Officer = SIR

Put your heart into training and enjoy every bit of it...cause if you enjoy what you are doing, it give you superb mental ability and you need that more than anything else in police work...MENTAL STRENGHT = SOUND JUDGEMENT = SATISFACTION = HAPPY LIFE....

Best of luck
    Better to sweat in the gym than to bleed on the street

Comment

This is just one of the posts you might want to read, there are many on this topic and pet peeves - you might want to just read/search for some answers and previous posts. Just a thought.

quoted from aavixtech:

PT = Pain Tremendous!
      Well, we had our first block of PT in the academy today - I now have a new respect for the sworn guys that have done this before me.

We had a PEB (Physical Evaluation Battery) today that consisted of the following...

max bench press
      1.5 mile run
      sets of waaaay too many pushups
      sets of even more too many lunges
      sets of some excercise I've never seen - you lay flat on your back with your legs straight, and hold your feet 6" off the ground....hold it there till the instructor tells you to spread 'em - while still holding your feet 6" off the ground....

Did quite a few sets of 20 pushups, minute or two on the flat-back thing, then lunges....and our "rest" during sets was the up pushup position - (how nice!)

THEN some moron decided it would be cool to let some profanity slip, which is a huge no-no in our academy - well we did "motivational PT" to help rid us of the profanity problem. roughly another 1-1.5 mile run while carrying tires...

I HURT! It doesen't help that our master bedroom is on the second floor - I almost just want to sleep on the stairs tonight, rather than going up or down the stairs!

....almost makes the OC spray day look like a walk in the park

Just had to vent - yes, I know I'm not the first person to be subjected to this kind of PT

Comment

I've also **heard** (be it 1st day or any day in academy), never try to correct the Instructor with .....

"...my friend is a Cop/FTO here and he/she said "X" should be done this way...."

You're asking for trouble if you do.

Comment

It's OK to question why something is done, just don't challenge the instructor - even if you are right, you will lose in the end.

Try NOT to draw the instructor's attention the first few days. We ran a 'low stress' academy, but I had one student 1) Show up late, and on the 1st break start 2)eating an apple in the classroom, under a sign that said "no eating". When I told him he could eat in the hall, but not in the room, he grinned and took another bite of his apple. Guess who got that 'extra little bit' of attention for the next 8 weeks?
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

I start academy Feb. 2, and you are starting to scare me.

The only thing that I am hoping in for some reassurance is that I am going to a college academy rather than an agency or "live on campus" academy.

Are there any insights from those who have been through the community college academy scene?

I assume that the college is much easier. A police friend moved from Minnesota where he was an officer and went through a paramilitary type academy there. He then moved to Colorado where he attended another academy, this time a community college, which he said was much easier.

Comment

I just started the academy this week (woo-hoo!!!) and Monday was our first day of classes. Sunday evening we had an orientation where they specifically told us to dress casually which helped us relax a little. We went through all the rules and what is to be expected of us. When we showed up monday we were already somewhat acquainted and we weren't scared. I would say if you just follow orders, do your work, stay in shape, and be on time all the time...you'll be fine. By Monday afternoon, our class was already well aquainted enough we were joking around and picking on each other.

This is an academy that is owned by a univeristy. I really enjoy it and it is a very diverse class. All ages, 4:1 Male to Female ratio (not a problem for me ), and some people in there have many backgrounds such as they just got out of the military, jsut finished college, starting their second career, or just moving to a different type of LE.

You'll have fun. Just start exercising now!!! There was one guy in the last academy who can't sit for the state exam because he failed the physcial exam by ONE PUSH-UP!! don't waste fourth months by not being able to do one stinkin push up!!!

Comment

...........but of course, it's easier said than done, right?

Comment

Not really, just starting doing a set amount of sit ups and push ups everynight. I do, and it's helping me without even lifting weights too much.
                  “The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.”

-Captain Patrick Etheridge, U.S Life Saving Service

Comment

College academies are less stressful because you're not in the same paramilitary environment as you are in the "police academy"

A few more things about the academy's frist day...

-DO NOT FALL ASLEEP IN THE CLASS
                    -NO GUMS in the classroom
                    -No Food for drinks in the classroom
                    -No Jokes, or humor...the officers giving speach will make things interesting and funny, but you gotta watch not to burst into laughter
                    -NEVER ASK ABOUT THE CONNECTION BETWEEN COPS AND DONUTS...

Actually, there are alot of "NO's" in the first day...but as you progress through the academy, you'll find your way around and will get used to thiings...

Best of luck
                    Better to sweat in the gym than to bleed on the street

Comment

Hell, I'm running and lifting weights, so I will be fine. Can't wait til I see the instructors get ****ed off at nothing. I'm the type who laughs a lot so I'll probably have a hard to trying NOT to laugh. I mean, the instructors DO try to pin point your weakness and attack that point, don't they? I've seen reality t.v. shows about a woman who was going through the academy for the U.S. Marshalls and it was hilarious seeing the instructor getting red faced for yelling so much.

At any rate, thanks for the responses.
                      Last edited by cilee571; 01-15-2004, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moshref
                        -NEVER ASK ABOUT THE CONNECTION BETWEEN COPS AND DONUTS...
                        OK.

Comment

Be a sponge.

Do what they say, how they say it and when they say it.

Even if it makes no sense and is illogical. Last thing they want to hear is, well when I worked...or my buddy at XXXPD says...

At least that was my academy.

Not to mention, getting used to following poor leadership, illogical rules, and unecessary steps will aid you once you hit the street.
                          Do your best, do what is right

Comment

Is that why the first thing your FTO tells you is to forget everything you learned at the academy?

Comment

You mentioned TV shows. Even "Reality" shows are tainted by the camera. PLEASE, don't start telling the instructors that you saw how to do something on TV or in a movie! TV training is the worst!

And my usual advice: Ears open, mouth shut unless you did not understand something; FOCUS ON THE HARD STUFF, not what you enjoy (you will have an entire career to shoot free ammo through guns you did not pay for - IF you pass the law exam!); come early, stay late; study; we don't write the laws, we just enforce them, no matter how dumb; and remember rule number1:
                              Come home in one piece after every shift!

You are embarking on a funny, depressing, exciting, boring, and worthwile career. It's not for everyone, but if it's for you, 20 years from now, you will not have any regrets.
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3661 users online. 247 members and 3414 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X