Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the better financial option in your opinion

Hello Officers!

I Have recently been selected to start the Nashville Police Academy in July. I am beyond excited for this job, and look forward to serving the people of this great city. My question pertains to Overtime vs. Side job. Here in Nashville, you are allowed up to 40 additional hours of overtime per pay period (I guess you have to sleep sometime,) so there is plenty of OT available if you want it. I have a few friends that are officers here, and they talk about taking side jobs. I know that this is down the road for me (I won't be qualified for OT until after FTO) But I am a man that likes to plan ahead, and weigh future options. For the officers in here that can get OT, do you have a preference in how you get extra income? Please tell me the pro and cons to Overtime and Side jobs...

Thank you for answering my question, and thank you for keeping us all safe...

The BEST thing to do WAIT until you are OTJ and then talk to OTHER officers who are there and actually know the system in place as well as the best way to "work" the system
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

jesus Christ.

Comment

You're putting the cart way ahead of the horse. As has been noted to you, you have to first, successfully complete the academy and FTO. Then, and only then, can you even begin to contemplate O/T. You will discover that these gigs are governed by agency rules and policy, and often times senority enters the equation as well.

Comment

The pros and cons are you should focus and the upcoming training environment of the Academy and Field Training.

Whatever happens afterwards is department specific.

Your statement implies you will graduate. You don't know this. It also implies you will make field training. Another unknown.

You might fail at something very minor because you considered it easy, when it wasn't.
          semper destravit

Comment

Besides what everyone else has already told you about putting the cart before the horse, no one but officers from YOUR department would be able to give you good advice about this. OT rules, pay, contracts, etc are going to vary WILDLY from departments that even share the same jurisdiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
              jesus Christ.
              In my department, even if He showed up, He'd have to wait in line for the overtime.

Comment

In my world I'd stray away from "side jobs".

They create a lot of issues with liability especially if it's not a uniform gig. Our current contracts if favorable in it's wording but if you get hurt working at an apartment complex you are screwed as far as workers comp.

OT through the Dept. is the safest bet. Sure you might have to do something beside sit in a dark parking lot but at least you know you are "on the clock" and enjoy all the safeties, benefits, and entitlements that come with it.

As a supervisor the ones who work the most "side jobs" are the ones who do the least when they are there and "on the clock" oddly enough. Have told more then one "there is no side job without this main job...work while your here".
                Last edited by Name Taken; 06-07-2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

OK, now that everyone has spanked you for daring to ask such a question before you are even on the job, I will offer some insight.

If you work departmental overtime and are injured or permanently disabled, you will be covered by workers comp and disability retirement benefits. Your medical bills will be paid, your salary while off will be paid or supplemented and if you can't work as a cop again you should be eligible for a disability pension. However, if are injured or permanently disabled while working a side job, things are different. Your employer may or may not have workers compensation insurance. He probably won't claiming you were an independent contractor. That means you will be responsible for your own medical bills, you will have no income while off work and if you are disabled to the point that you can't work as a cop again, then the department will medically terminate you with no benefits.

Similarly, if you are working department overtime and do something during the course and scope of your duties that gets you sued, in most states the department is required to provide you with legal representation, to defend you against that suit and pay actual damages awarded. In most states, the employer or your union represent you if you are prosecuted criminally. OTOH, if you are working privately, that employer may not be willing or financially able to provide counsel and you will be on your own.

The long and short of it is, stay with departmental overtime. At time and a half, 40 hours per month will increased your gross by 35%. Don't get greedy.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    OK, now that everyone has spanked you for daring to ask such a question before you are even on the job, I will offer some insight.

If you work departmental overtime and are injured or permanently disabled, you will be covered by workers comp and disability retirement benefits. Your medical bills will be paid, your salary while off will be paid or supplemented and if you can't work as a cop again you should be eligible for a disability pension. However, if are injured or permanently disabled while working a side job, things are different. Your employer may or may not have workers compensation insurance. He probably won't claiming you were an independent contractor. That means you will be responsible for your own medical bills, you will have no income while off work and if you are disabled to the point that you can't work as a cop again, then the department will medically terminate you with no benefits.

Similarly, if you are working department overtime and do something during the course and scope of your duties that gets you sued, in most states the department is required to provide you with legal representation, to defend you against that suit and pay actual damages awarded. In most states, the employer or your union represent you if you are prosecuted criminally. OTOH, if you are working privately, that employer may not be willing or financially able to provide counsel and you will be on your own.

The long and short of it is, stay with departmental overtime. At time and a half, 40 hours per month will increased your gross by 35%. Don't get greedy.

Best advice you'll ever get, and it didn't cost you a dime. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Well Said Brother!!!!
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

My academy roommate was from Knox County SO (TN) who told me, to my amazement, that he was not really interested in the LE side of the job- he just wanted to get the OT working the front of Walmart.

My bet is he was out of LE pretty quickly....
                        SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                        SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
                          My academy roommate was from Knox County SO (TN) who told me, to my amazement, that he was not really interested in the LE side of the job- he just wanted to get the OT working the front of Walmart.

My bet is he was out of LE pretty quickly....
                          We have a deputy who really doesn't like law enforcement all the much and would leave in a hot flash if he could find a job that paid as well and had a retirement as good as we do.

He is a good cop and a VERY good investigator..........but really could care less about being a cop.

It's not all that uncommon.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I really doubt you will find very many jobs that would pay as much as dept. overtime...Right now at this point in your life the last thing you should be thinking about is a second job or dept. overtime...Your main goal should be getting hired and completing your training...
                            Retired LASD

Comment

You are thinking way too far in advance. Worry about it after you graduate the academy and pass FTO.
                              Side jobs don't pay the bills if you get injured while working them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11906 users online. 495 members and 11411 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X