Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I disqualified for what happened when I was a child?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I disqualified for what happened when I was a child?

I've been interested in becoming a police officer since I was 16 and recently I've had an opportunity to help a friend out using knowledge I had gained growing up so it really motivated and pushed me to pursue it. I'm planning on going to college in a few months so I can get an Associate's and then work up to get a Bachelor's degree.

The question for the disqualification is when I was a kid I was voluntarily recommended by one of my mom's friends to go to a behavior institution for 10 days to get checked out. I was tested and everything and they said there was nothing wrong with me. This was when I was thought to have ADHD by a school district but psychologists proved that wasn't correct and that I was just a hyper child. I grew out of it by the time I was in middle school and eventually I got the chance to join Criminal Justice as an elective in high school and I enjoyed it a lot. After I graduated I quickly became a volunteer at a hospital and then shortly during that time I started my own business to make money on the side to pay my bills by working with computers for various businesses and force myself to get into the mindset of finding ways to improve myself and I've done that for about 5 years now.

I do want to get involved with this because while I never got in trouble with the law or broke any laws myself, I know people that did and that's how I was able to help one of my friends out because I could tell something was wrong. It felt rewarding to me and I figured if I can help them like I did I could help anyone else with the same problem. Looking back between my childhood, and even now, this knowledge just kind of grew without me noticing it. The way I see it is that this is something I'm supposed to do. I just hope that my childhood doesn't affect that in any way.

I doubt it will be a factor unless you make it one.

Disclose the situation and move on
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

What he said.

Comment

The areas you touched upon will be addressed by the psych exam.

In most states, every law enforcement candidate is evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Yep, what he said.
          MAC

Comment

When I was a young child I exposed myself, sucked a nipple in public and stole some things. It never came back to bite me.

Comment

Is your Mom's friend hot?

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                When I was a young child I exposed myself, sucked a nipple in public and stole some things. It never came back to bite me.
                I remember you. You used to soil yourself in public, couldn't walk, and you were incoherent in your speech. I thought you were drunk. Turns out you were a baby. So, sorry about that PI arrest. Totally on me.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                  So you're saying you don't do it now? Hard to believe...

Comment

Disclose everything but don't dwell on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No problemo.
                      SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Just be aware that the hiring agency may want you to provide any medical records pertaining to the evaluation so make sure you'll be able to get those records.

My friends son applied for NYPD and he had to chase down records to a psychological evaluation as a child. The kid had difficulty in school and mom took him to a child psychologist. The Doctor has since died and thee son had to chase down 16 year old records from a now dead doctor. He now wishes he never mentioned it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4886 users online. 304 members and 4582 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X