300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ~10 year plan

Looking for some guidance, I'm a 6 year military veteran who is in the process of becoming a PA state trooper. If all goes well I'm hoping to do 4-6 years and then test/transition to criminal investigator. In the long run however (say 10 or so years down the road) I'd like to see myself working at a GS level position in federal defense or some sort of anti terrorism type position, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light for me. Is there any typical transition path open to state level law enforcement employees that want to go federal? Thank you.

First of all, thank you for serving this great nation. It's good to see that you have a game-plan, time-line and specific goals.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Be mindful that your goals may change. You may wind up retiring as a Trooper, as you may not get into a Fed career. Who knows? I didn't plan on being at my agency as long as I have, but we'll see!
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

What AT position are you talking about? Which Fed agency?

Comment

Do you have a four year degree?

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            What AT position are you talking about? Which Fed agency?
            Honestly not really sure I'm still doing research into it, just being prior military gives me the desire to work back to a federal position. One thing I saw a trend of on USAjobs was counterintelligence investigator for the department of hoeland security and investigator for the US Capital police with department "legislative branch" not sure if these are involved with FBI or not but was thinking maybe some sort of transition into something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              Do you have a four year degree?
              I do not have a degree at this time, just my military experience and the experience I will gain if my plan pans out the way I want it to. I'm hoping that in the time as a trooper and criminal investigator for the state I will be able to find the time to get a degree, probably online but we'll have to see how my timelines play out. I do still have my GI bill available.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunk_Tyler View Post
                Looking for some guidance, I'm a 6 year military veteran who is in the process of becoming a PA state trooper. If all goes well I'm hoping to do 4-6 years and then test/transition to criminal investigator. In the long run however (say 10 or so years down the road) I'd like to see myself working at a GS level position in federal defense or some sort of anti terrorism type position, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light for me. Is there any typical transition path open to state level law enforcement employees that want to go federal? Thank you.
                I like that you have a long term plan. Even though plans do change, if you have a goal, you will make choices throughout your life to help you reach that goal.

Now in terms of if your experience as a state trooper will help you become an investigator with the federal government, the answer is absolutely yes. Any law enforcement experience will help to make you one of the best qualified applicants.

You did mention though that you are lacking a 4 year degree. This could be a hindrance depending on which federal agency you want to work. Many require a 4 year degree.

The transition path from state to federal really depends on the agency to which you apply. Some agencies, such as ATF, use special hiring authority to bring on selected highly qualified applicants. The grand majority of agencies though will require you to apply through traditional means. That means you wait for an open public announcement on usajobs, then you apply, go through the entire 1+ year hiring process, and hopefully are selected.

It's good to have a plan, but remember, it is one step at a time. Also be flexible. If for any reason you can't become a PA state trooper, look at other agencies.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Thanks for your service.
                  If you have any aptitude, study a foreign language - Farsi, Arabic, and the like are big now. Also, any accounting course you take will help - we always had to follow the money.
                  Lots of agencies have "Counter Terrorist" positions - it's where the money is right now. Hands on CT would primarily be FBI, CIA, and 'agencies that don't exist." There is not much of that, and they usually want Special Ops troops.
                  In the Troopers, always look toward getting into investigations - road patrol helps show your discipline, but Investigations matters. And never fail to look at the 60+ other Federal agencies with investigator jobs. If you love being outdoors, Park Service, Forest Service, Fish & Wildlife, National Marine Fisheries, BLM etc. There is a wide spectrum of Fed LE jobs, some very obscure.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

First of all thank you for serving our country. Any goals they you currently have may change in the long term but the good thing is that you have a long term goal, which is awsome. Good luck to you.

Comment

My 10 year plan involves being as far away from the Peoples Republic of CA as possible.....never to return....
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

If you get into the PASP I would be sure to keep your plans to yourself. Any agency that hears your planning on leaving in 10 years might keep you from promotion or extra training or from hiring you all together. I like your plan but don't advertise it.

Comment

LA Dep, AZ is not THAT far away, and it's not all desert. I live at 6500 feet in the mountains.
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Yeah... But on AZ, you HAVE to speak Spanish...

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                              You say this until you see the PA Trooper Pension plan... then you'll stay.
                              Exactly. Having a plan and a noble goal like CT is great, but sometimes YOLO and quality of life comes along.

Have you researched the PSP retirement vs Federal? Also AFAIK, ALL federal agencies require a 4 year degree.

A better bet would be to be a Trooper attached to a CT federal task force.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4106 users online. 250 members and 3856 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X