Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleuth
    replied
    I have seen pictures from a few years ago of Chicago cops wearing a belt gun and a shoulder holster openly in uniform.
    I would have problems with retention if I got into a hand-to-hand with someone while wearing two guns - but I was an Instigator .....er, Investigator, and to this day I do not feel comfortable wearing any gun openly. I was conditioned by my job.

Leave a comment:

• kermit315
    replied
    Originally posted by Michigan View Post
    I choose to not carry a primary or back up gun. Simple logic really, if I don't have any guns on me the bad guy won't shoot me with his gun.
    60% of the time, it works every time.

Leave a comment:

• swat_op506
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    I WILL say I worked with a Deputy US Marshal who carried two guns on his belt. Right and left side, in a full belt rig, and it was ok with the USMS... One badass mofo. From Jersey no less...
    A bandoleer would make that setup even gooder.

Leave a comment:

• BNWS
    replied
    In NYC the instructors at the range recommend carrying 2 guns.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    I WILL say I worked with a Deputy US Marshal who carried two guns on his belt. Right and left side, in a full belt rig, and it was ok with the USMS... One badass mofo. From Jersey no less...

Leave a comment:

• sanitizer
    replied
    Due to terrorist and others hell bent to kill law enforcement officers, I’m reluctant to discuss officer safety and equipment matters on a public forum. Having been involved in a number of critical events that touched on this topic, I feel it’s an important subject best discussed offline between law enforcement officers. My 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• BusMan
    replied
    Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
    No limit on back up guns but can't carry a second firearm on the duty belt. I have seen some who carry two back ups but not many.
    Is that due to comfort or is it a department rule? I guess the belt is probably pretty full anyway.

Leave a comment:

• JDCOP
    replied
    No limit on back up guns but can't carry a second firearm on the duty belt. I have seen some who carry two back ups but not many.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    No legal or policy limit here, but I don't know anyone who carries more than 3. Backup guns are for more than just backup, they are also for "secondary primaries" when you can't get to your "primary primary" due to injury, rolling around with someone, pinned, etc. 3 covers almost any plausible scenario.

Leave a comment:

• Chomp
    replied
    Originally posted by Michigan View Post
    I choose to not carry a primary or back up gun. Simple logic really, if I don't have any guns on me the bad guy won't shoot me with his gun.
    I've heard that this works really well in conjunction with portable Gun Free Zone signs.

Leave a comment:

• BusMan
    replied
    Thanks for the answers.

Leave a comment:

• SmallCityCop
    replied
    I just grabbed a .380 for my tuck-away gun, and have my Glock 36 for a back-up.

Leave a comment:

• Michigan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hemicop
    replied
    My agency has no limit either but it kind of frowns on back-up guns. Long time ago I knew an older Officer that had 4---his sidearm, a P38, a snub-nosed 38 & a 380. Why I have no idea. I HAVE heard of some tactical units using 2 or more pistols as opposed to, say, an MP5, in the interest of increased mobility & better weapon control. Since an MP5 fires only a pistol cartridge anyway, I guess it makes sense for SOME situations. I'm not a big fan of the idea but I can kind of see it.

Leave a comment:

• careerchange#2
    replied
    It really varies by department. As an example, some well known SWAT teams mandate two pistols on their guys. If you look, you'll see one in a belt mounted holster and one mounted on their vest. Watch an episode of Miami SWAT and you'll see what I'm talking about. The local state police SWAT team also mandates two pistols.

Our guys are authorized up to three guns, i.e. two pistols and a long gun. There was a push a while back to change that to only two guns, i.e. two pistols or one long gun and a pistol. I can only speak for me, but my usual was a pistol, a smaller back up pistol (i.e. a G23 or 27 worn on my vest) and a taser set up for weak hand draw. When I did get assigned to a rifle slot I didn't drop a pistol, I just added the rifle.

For road folks, policy dictates one back-up gun and it must be concealed.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3818 users online. 249 members and 3569 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X