300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC pepper spray

hi, I had a question for any LEO willing to answer.....

I was just wondering; what does the pepper spray do to you? (what effects does it have) Thanks
    ~*~*~Sara Maria~*~*~

Well, from the .... uh, 4 times I've been directly hit during training in the Army and then the Academy - here are some things it does, but affects everyone differently. Many people who are light skinned/blonde hair seem to get these symptoms worse from what I've heard ...

I had major stinging in my eyes, throat (coughed and spit A LOT) irritation upper respitory, any other skin that was exposed of course. Nose running, eyes running, drooling (haha, that was real feminine let me tell ya!), and a bit of nausea from inhaling the damn crap once. I had trouble because one of the other guys came and pulled my ponytail holder out and exposed my hair to it so I had a rough time that night sleeping, not only from the stuff still stinging my eyes and burning skin (slight), but it was VERY HARD to get out of my hair .... word to the wise, PULL YOU HAIR UP AND BACK, KEEP IT OUT OF YOUR FACE, AND SPRAY THE CRAP OUT OF IT WITH HAIRSPRAY BEFORE YOU DO THIS because the hairspray will serve as a "base" or "shield" SOMEWHAT from it getting in the hair and absorbing. And when you do finally get a shower, CAREFULLY take your hair down, make sure it's no where near your face, and wash the crap out of it a couple of times. I had to have a friend help me hold my hair away and wash it while I held my eyes and face with a clean wet washcloth.

The only other thing I noticed and not sure if this is for everyone or if I just got hit the wrong way, but my eyes burned for about two nights when I first tried to close them, and a little throughout the night .... wasn't that bad, just sort of "irritating" is all.

The rest of the times, I've been hit either by my own from wind, or by other officers in large crowds, i remember one night this huge club in NY broke out into a fight, we had to just about spray the whole damn area near the door, and ALL OF US got wind of that, we only HAD about 7 officers spraying at the same time, so it was sort of inevitable.

Hope this helps a bit?!

Kate

Comment

Personally it burned my eyes like I couldn't believe, and my skin felt like a blowtorch was being run across it. I hated it. It was miserable to say the least.

That being said, some guys seemed barely affected by it. It affects folks differently.

Comment

Kinda like the old mace spray. It never worked on the people you really, really needed it to work on.
        "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

It made me promise to shoot anyone who ever points pepper spray at me.

No, I'm not kidding.

Comment

(placa)

THAT made me laugh, maybe because I BELIEVE YOU!! hehehe. Yeah, it was NOT fun, that's for sure, I remember asking them (jokingly) in the academy if they were SURE I had to "do this again" seeing as how I had DONE the damn pepper spray through another academy, and the military. Personally, I think you should be able to have some "WAIVER CARD", that says you've BEEN THERE DONE THAT once you've been SPRAYED over 3 times for testing purposes ..... I DREADED that day, even MORE so when I knew what was to come -- I remember I was LESS SCARED when I DIDN'T know what to expect, than when I had already been THROUGH that part a couple of times, it really sucked. I was literally standing there cussing to myself before I even got sprayed while it was being held up just because I knew I was in for some pain. I thought for a while that it had singed every hair on my skin and wondered if I was going to have eyebrows and nosehair after that .... haha, not that I was real concerned with the nosehair being a female, but yeah - one comment was made on this thread about feeling like a blow torch had been run up and down your body, heck, I was trying to spare a little and not scare the **** out of someone ready to get "the test", but now - why hold back right?? LOL

You guys are great -- make me laugh, and remind me to be BRUTALLY HONEST when answering these questions!!

Comment

My experience is that also. They tell you in training that if your ever sprayed with pepper spray to "strobe your eyes" allow tears to build up by holding them shut for several seconds and reopening them, from me to you thats garbage. If anyone were to take my pepper spray after being swabbed with it in training with it, it would immediatly escalate the confrontation up to deadly force. The same goes for the full time officers that trained me. To qoute the SWAT officer that trained me " I know I cant work through it, I would kill him" Its pretty unpleasant to answer your question. It is a product that should be used by trained people only. I have seen civiallians prosecuted criminally for using it during non life threateinig situations eg: fight over a parking space, or space in line at a movie theatre. just my 0.2 cents as an auxillary officer

Comment

It was the worst thing I ever went thru in the academy. Horrible burning. Snot, flem, coughing, you name it. Grown men knocked to their knees. And they let us decontaminate immediately. I think it was about forty-five minutes before I could open my eyes.
                If you knew you would fight for you life tomorrow, would you change the way you trained today?

Comment

It seems to work on cops really well. Bad guys not so much.
                  Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Wiggum
                    you got that right. nothing beats the tried and true pr-24. it has never failed me.
                    "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                    William Shatner

Comment

Thank you all! It helps a lot. I was actually just recently (jokingly) threatened with some pepper spray. (whatever it is that officers carry) I tried to act like I didnt care because I had no clue what it did, but after you all have regaled your stories of pain and torture Im not going to do that anymore! Must be why he said, youre just not afraid because youve never been sprayed before.
                      ~*~*~Sara Maria~*~*~

Comment

I've been sprayed with OC. All I can say is, it sure ends a date faster than hell!
                        Sometimes I look at a person, and I just think, 'That person, right there, is the lowest common denominator.'

Comment

ok, well irony of ironies, my friend sprayed me with OC pepperspray tonight and it was the worst pain I have ever felt thus far. Whoever described it as a blowtorch, that was pretty accurate. It made my skin turn red and irritated too. Wow, that is some crazy stuff.
                          ~*~*~Sara Maria~*~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Wiggum
                            I am with you. Maybe it's due to the fact that most of those bad guys have been exposed to the OC so much that have developed immunity to it.
                            Better to sweat in the gym than to bleed on the street

Comment

Spray day was the most miserable day of the academy. Everyone else said it already... coughing, flem, burning...
                              In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2571 users online. 141 members and 2430 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X