300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding

Today there was a story about a Deputy in Florida who hit a black bear while speeding in his cruiser. The Sheriff's Office he was employed by had recently installed a GPS system in all of their cruisers and when they pulled the information they found out the Deputy was traveling 85mph on the road, 30 over the speed limit of 55. Due to the deputy's past experience with speeding the Sheriff's Office fired him. My question is, how many of you have GPS in your vehicles and are disciplined by your department for exceeding the speed limit through info recieved via the GPS system?
    Mike

Any cop who is too stupid to come up with a reason as to why he was going that fast when the only witness was the GPS should be fired....

Comment

Come on man, I mean I agree he should have an excuse and all but how do you fire a guy for that? Some cops got busted at my local PD for fishing like a month ago and a LT got demoted to det. The only reason that happened is because it was that in conjunction with sexual misconduct with a victim on whose case he was assigned, and falsifying time records to make the city think it didnt happen on duty. Sexual misconduct+falsifying documents+ failure to enforce a previous reprimand of subordinates(fishing)= a 2 rank demotion. And the mullets are going to ****can this dude for jacking a bear with his cruiser? Christ, make him mop the drunk tank one weekend or something, but thats just crazy. When your in a black and white you don't have a damn speed limit. If your going 10-7 for a burger, I'm sure the public expects you to get your *** to IHOP, eat your burger, and start taking calls again. I could be wrong, but IMHO it's stupid to fire a leo over driving too fast on duty if "too fast" doesnt mean atleast 3 times the limit

Comment

Its 'too fast" if you can't control your vehicle. In Texas police patrols are exempt from speed laws; however, an officer can be criminally and civilly liable for any injury or damage caused by such speeding.

Comment

Liable is one thing. OK tag him for the car and the bear. But to terminate his employment when other cops are allowed to get away with what the lt in austin did is quite another. I'm not saying this guy should be fired, I'm just pointing out the inconsistency. I know of a probie who has totalled 2 cruisers already,and they haven't canned him.

Comment

When I hear about that sort of thing the only reasoning I can think of is that he may have been skating on thin ice before that, and they may have been searching for a reason to terminate. Maybe this was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Comment

That's a good theory, quite probable. BTW mullet, when I called his department a bunch of "mullets", I meant no disrespect to the mullet. God bless the mullet

Comment

The news article said he had previously been clocked by another agency at 115 in a 65 zone. Apparently, whatever discipline they gave him did not work. Should the department wait until he kills a person?
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Should the department wait until he kills a person?
                  Yes, I'd say wait until he kills someone to fire him. Lots of cops drive fast to bull**** runs to which they have no business driving fast. Lets fire all of them too. You'd have 3 guys left, and only because they worked the desk and didn't have a chance to drive fast. I say definately fire the guys who keep driving in a stolen car chase when the boss says "break it off". Fire them too. I be they're much more dangerous than bear slayer.

Comment

Just for info, here is the previous "incident" that Livewire is talking about:

TAVARES -- A Lake County deputy sheriff was suspended for three days without pay and lost three paid vacation days after another deputy caught him driving more than 100 mph on State Road 19 last month.

Deputy Robert Mata was heading south on S.R. 19 in his 2002 Chevrolet Impala patrol car with three men whom he had picked up in the Astor area Oct. 12, according to Capt. Cecil Garrett, commander of the Sheriff's Office patrol unit.

Mata, 27, was helping the men whose car had broken down in Astor and was giving them a ride to Umatilla, Garrett said.

As Mata was heading south on S.R. 19, Deputy Chad Harmon was northbound and noticed the fast-moving squad car, Garrett said.

Harmon "clocked the vehicle on radar" and the "vehicle displayed a speed of 114 mph," according to a Sheriff's Office memorandum on the incident.

Harmon reported the incident to supervisors, who turned the matter over to Garrett.

Mata, who has been with the Sheriff's Office since April 2002, admitted he was speeding.

"I have no evidence or any information to support or defend the allegations against me and fully accept the responsibility of my actions," Mata wrote in an Oct. 15 memo to Garrett.

Along with the suspension and loss of vacation time, Mata also lost two months of vehicle privileges, forcing him to park his patrol car at the maintenance shop in Eustis when he is off duty, and he must use his personal car to get to and from work. He also will not be allowed to work special details or overtime until the disciplinary action is complete.

K9

Comment

Here is the most recent article:

TAVARES -- A Lake County patrol deputy sheriff who was suspended for three days last month in a speeding incident, was fired Monday afternoon after he admitted to striking and killing a bear in another incident.

Deputy Robert Mata, who authorities said was caught in October driving more than 100 mph on State Road 19, was involved in an accident with a bear on Nov. 22 on the same road, near the intersection of Forest Road 573 north of Eustis.

The deputy was fired because an internal investigation found Mata to be "in violation of rules and regulations pertaining to proper use of equipment," Lt. Todd Luce said.

He also failed to obey a superior's orders concerning unsafe driving habits, Luce said.

Mata, 27, was southbound on S.R. 19 shortly before 6 a.m. when the bear crossed the road into his path, according to a Florida Highway Patrol accident report.

The FHP report said Mata was traveling within the posted 55 mph, but the deputy told his supervisors he was driving faster, Luce said.

There was an estimated $12,000 in damage to the patrol car after it hit the bear, Luce said.

Mata has been a deputy with the department since April 2002. He has 72 hours to appeal his firing, Luce said.

Jim Buynak of the Sentinel staff compiled this report.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                        The news article said he had previously been clocked by another agency at 115 in a 65 zone. Apparently, whatever discipline they gave him did not work. Should the department wait until he kills a person?
                        No, IMHO the dept. should [email protected]#$slap the pansy*** excuse for a cop that cited another officer for driving too fast on duty first, then proceed to shut the hell up and let the man do his job. Police are supposedly highly trained and skilled in fast driving, so if you can't trust them to use their skills, why even train? You speak as if he is a multiple offender. Remember, he didnt kill two bears, he killed one bear, the first time was only speeding, which he probably did countless other times without incident. As does every other cop in his department most likely(not to mention the world). I just think this is ridiculous, and I agree with mullet's theory that they wanted to can him to start with. Maybe he was a total jerkoff, thats why the other cop clocked him on purpose

Comment

Originally posted by apdwannabe
                          Police are supposedly highly trained and skilled in fast driving, so if you can't trust them to use their skills, why even train?

Really? I wasn't. I was trained in pursuit driving and manuvering around corner, curves, etc in a police car. But I never drove over 100 mph anywhere with an instructor sitting beside me. At 115 mph, you have very little control of that automobile. Patrol vehicles aren't Indy cars. If all he was doing was transporting some guys and going that fast, I think his overall judgement skills are more important to look at than his driving ones.
                          "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by retdetsgt
                            Really? I wasn't.
                            LOL, don't tell the public that. But like Frank said, if you fired them for bad judgement in their driving, you wouldnt have a cop left on the street

Comment

Originally posted by apdwannabe
                              No, IMHO the dept. should [email protected]#$slap the pansy*** excuse for a cop that cited another officer for driving too fast on duty first, then proceed to shut the hell up and let the man do his job.

Just out of curiousity, do you actually read any of this stuff before you post?

Look at what was posted about the previous incident:

"Deputy Robert Mata was heading south on S.R. 19 in his 2002 Chevrolet Impala patrol car with three men whom he had picked up in the Astor area Oct. 12, according to Capt. Cecil Garrett, commander of the Sheriff's Office patrol unit.

Mata, 27, was helping the men whose car had broken down in Astor and was giving them a ride to Umatilla, Garrett said.

As Mata was heading south on S.R. 19, Deputy Chad Harmon was northbound and noticed the fast-moving squad car, Garrett said.

Harmon "clocked the vehicle on radar" and the "vehicle displayed a speed of 114 mph," according to a Sheriff's Office memorandum on the incident.

Harmon reported the incident to supervisors......"

Nowhere does it say that the deputy received a citation. On the contrary, it indicates that Dep. Mata was clocked on radar at 115 mph so the officer who clocked him reported the incident to his supervisor. This officer's supervisors passed the info along to Mata's supervisors.

Just a suggestion for next time...Read through things thoroughly and then respond with a logical, well-thought out response rather than getting information wrong and then getting off on emotional rants and making yourself look stupid.

One other thing...Retdetsgt is right about the pursuit driving thing. Officers aren't "highly trained in fast driving," and in fact, we have had citizens file complaints before with city council because they claimed that some of our officers were driving too fast. The public expects the police to be there in an emergency, but the public doesn't expect, as you suggested, that officers will drive excessively fast just to get to IHOP to grab a burger. And if you're wondering, yes, 115/55 is excessively fast unless you have some good, justifiable reason. "Just because" doesn't count.
                              Law abiding citizens sleep peacefully in their beds solely because dedicated men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4243 users online. 229 members and 4014 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X