300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living Situations

I am younger, no wife/girlfriend, no kids. I'm looking at housing options in that area and trying to decided whether I want to stick with living on my own in a single bedroom or getting a two bedroom place and have a roommate to help split costs and save some money. My largest dilemma I'm looking at is having a roommate/friend that I can trust fully. Obviously I have friends that I trust and know wouldn't do anything wrong, instead I think about friends they may be associated with or bring over that are not good people (marijuana, warrants, etc.).

Looking for what you guys did if you were in my current situation when you were a younger officer.
    Last edited by az_law; 10-13-2015, 07:48 PM.

If you CAN go solo, go solo... especially if you think a roommate may bring baggage.

You can't afford ANY shenanigans at this point.

Even if that ISN'T an issue it's just easier to be by yourself. Your schedule, needing to sleep odd hours...
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 09-12-2015, 12:54 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Ditto to what tanksoldier said. No conflicts, no headaches, no last minute problems.

Wait until your career is stabilized before you start looking at roomies.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Back when I was young, dumb and single ---------------I mostly lived alone. For a while I had a roommate -----------who was also a deputy----That worked ok

Got a girlfriend and moved in with her------that didn't' work out so well
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I lived with an academy squadmate for my first few years after graduating but I also shared with some non-job housemates for a couple of years.

You have to weigh up the balance of saving money vs avoiding headaches at home. If you do share I'd reccommend doing so with another police officer or emergency services worker.

Comment

I lived solo - called out at all hours, came in late, never had to worry about my "stuff". Sometimes I went in on Monday, and came home Thursday after a long surveillance.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
              If you CAN go solo, go solo... especially if you think a roommate may bring baggage.

You can't afford ANY shenanigans at this point.

Even if that ISN'T an issue it's just easier to be by yourself. Your schedule, needing to sleep odd hours...
              I've done both and this is dead on. Roommates are headaches.

Comment

If you can do it yourself you will be better off. if you do have to go the roommate route make sure that it is someone you can fully trust. Those are few and far between. In addition to the headaches that can come from sharing living space you will have other concerns that could have a harmful impact on your career. Hell, I am married and if I could get my husband to live someplace else I would
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I am married and if I could get my husband to live someplace else I would
                  ...as would MY wife.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Interpret this however you wish, "you never really know someone until you live with them".
                    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Sometimes young people are not fully aware of the stress that will come with their careers. I would not wish someone starting out to have a bad living situation to come home to each day as you begin.

However I witnessed my young son working an overnight shift as he began as an LEO and seeing some horrible events prior to going home to his apartment by himself. I specifically remember he found two young suicides in the first couple weeks among other disturbing calls.
                      We attempted to stay in touch as often as possible but being an hour away it was hard. IMO I think it is nice to have someone to talk to daily if you need to and maybe save a few bucks at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I lived alone in a cheap apartment. The cheap part is what caused me headaches. Everytime I left for work on Friday night mids, a nieghbor was throwing a party. It wasn't until I was dispatched to one and they saw I was an officer that the residents started moving out and were replaced with other people that did illegal activities. I finally just bought a house in "copville". Where at least 30% of the neighborhood are cops from somewhere. I would still recommend living alone at first. In the end you have to do what is best for you and your situation.
                        What Is A Veteran?
                        A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies... Looks like an overwhelming stance of go it on your own. That is what I will end up doing. I have a friend that works for a neighboring agency, we went through college together and I trusted him with my life before we got into this profession. Will probably try to get something together with him once his lease is up on his place later next year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6076 users online. 297 members and 5779 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X