300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed To The Academy

I had a previous thread when i first started the hiring process in April. I am now officially headed to the LCPD academy starting on Oct 19th. Talking to a few officers about my goals getting into CIS (Criminal Investigations Section), or Gang Task Force. His advice, which I am taking to heart, was to be the best beat cop I can be. His advice continued that when I get on the streets to go "hunting", for anything I can find, drugs, warrants, in bad areas, gangs.

My question is on his use of the word "hunting" and what that means? I believe I have an idea of what he means in a literal go out and really search for these things, and develop a back for finding or getting to things before they happen. I was wondering what your thoughts were on that term? what have you done, or what do you do when your out on patrol looking for things? how do you develop a back for finding this stuff?

I know I still have to get through the academy and FTO, but I want to have a mind for this stuff as I go through it all. Thanks for the help in advance. And I look forward to becoming a part of the LE family, and hope to keep our community and our fellow officers safe with all thats going on right now in the nation.

I
    Originally posted by zerodruul View Post
    I had a previous thread when i first started the hiring process in April. I am now officially headed to the LCPD academy starting on Oct 19th. Talking to a few officers about my goals getting into CIS (Criminal Investigations Section), or Gang Task Force. His advice, which I am taking to heart, was to be the best beat cop I can be. His advice continued that when I get on the streets to go "hunting", for anything I can find, drugs, warrants, in bad areas, gangs.

My question is on his use of the word "hunting" and what that means? I believe I have an idea of what he means in a literal go out and really search for these things, and develop a back for finding or getting to things before they happen. I was wondering what your thoughts were on that term? what have you done, or what do you do when your out on patrol looking for things? how do you develop a back for finding this stuff?

I know I still have to get through the academy and FTO, but I want to have a mind for this stuff as I go through it all. Thanks for the help in advance. And I look forward to becoming a part of the LE family, and hope to keep our community and our fellow officers safe with all thats going on right now in the nation.
    Listen... Soon to be recruit. You're not even a rookie yet. Jesus, just take care of business. Your FTO will tell you how to do that.

You're going to screw yourself if you don't take small bites. Do what you need to do today, focus on tomorrow then.

You won't see a specialized unit until you have you stuff squared away. Crawl before you walk. Good luck in the academy.

Comment

Becoming a good street officer takes time-first you learn how to drive around and notice things. When you learn how to do that you then learn how to take what you see and develop that into cases. A good beat cop takes a minimum of 5 yrs to develop.

Hunting is what we used to call "Doing police work" You learn what the indicators are for criminal activity and you search out violators that fit those indicators. You then investigate further. Then you find the criminals just by driving around being a good beat cop
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Michigan, Thank you for your honesty. Small bites, one step at a time. For now I will focus on academy and soaking up everything I can, and not get ahead of myself.

Iowa #1603, Just do my job to the best of my abilities and learn as much as I can as the years go on. Thanks!

thanks for the honesty and tips. I guess I'm just excited about things actually happening. It seems small, but is a huge deal for me to make it. Last thing you all need on the streets though is sum yapped up rookie who cant focus on the now. Appreciate the honesty!

Comment

Iowa #1603, Just do my job to the best of my abilities and learn as much as I can as the years go on. Thanks!
          Actually NO

Doing your job to the best of your abilities won't get you on CID or a task force.

You are going to have to EXCEL at your job and probably learn new limits to your abilities.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I have no intention of being ordinary or standard in my police work. I plan to excel in everything I do, and when I am not good at something, learning from those who are the best in the department. Again, Thanks Iowa

Comment

Michigan, Thank you for your honesty. Small bites, one step at a time. For now I will focus on academy and soaking up everything I can, and not get ahead of myself.

thanks for the honesty and tips. I guess I'm just excited about things actually happening. It seems small, but is a huge deal for me to make it. Last thing you all need on the streets though is sum yapped up rookie who cant focus on the now. Appreciate the honesty!
              It's not small. It's huge and we've all been there. It's a lot of work and sacrifice and you haven't even begun yet.

It's good to see you eager and even better that you're actually willing to listen to those around you.

During this process: academy, FTO and the first year you're on you you do these 3 things and you'll do great:

1. Keep your mouth shut and learn.
              2. Keep your mouth shut and learn.
              3. Keep your mouth shut and learn.

Let us know when you graduate so we can officially welcome you to the family. Good luck. Stay out of trouble and keep your eye on the prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                It's not small. It's huge and we've all been there. It's a lot of work and sacrifice and you haven't even begun yet.

It's good to see you eager and even better that you're actually willing to listen to those around you.

During this process: academy, FTO and the first year you're on you you do these 3 things and you'll do great:

1. Keep your mouth shut and learn.
                2. Keep your mouth shut and learn.
                3. Keep your mouth shut and learn.

Let us know when you graduate so we can officially welcome you to the family. Good luck. Stay out of trouble and keep your eye on the prize.

I always told my trainees

God gave you two eyes, two ears and only one mouth so you would listen twice as much and observe twice as much as you spoke.

Comment

thanks Michigan, I appreciate it. I will definitely let you all know once I have graduated.

Trying to stay humble and focused. Appreciate you all who have been there and being straight shooters with us who want to be exceptional.

Comment

"getting through" the academy and FTO to me, as a staff instructor and FTO, reeks of doing the minimum to just get by. I've heard a lot of recruits talk about "surviving" the academy, or talking about "only XX amount of more weeks."

Simply put the academy is a very long job interview, with FTO being a much more indepth follow up interview. Don't worry about anything except learning and EXCELLING at each task put in front of you. Long before you start thinking of specialized units or "focusing," be the best at cop 101. Know your policies and case laws inside and out. We have a rookie now who wants to do nothing but catch the mother load of dope but doesn't have a clue as to the case law that applies to it or how to do basic cop stuff. Don't be the 2/20 rookie.

Comment

Ya, seems I have a lot to learn on simply expressing myself correctly. Its been told to us many times already by our academy coordinator and from the officer I rode along with that it is a "prove yourself" all the way through the academy and the FTO and first year and onto the rest of the career.

I understand how my post might seem to many who have spent years learning their work and excelling and excelling again. With all due respect sir, please don't misunderstand my determination and eagerness as a fresh out of high school kid looking to make it "big time" without putting in the time. I am just as eager to get out and excel at being a beat cop. When I am passionate about something I throw myself at it and give it everything and I want to know everything, something I hope will serve me well in future years but I admit i must watch as it can be a disservice to myself and those around me if not kept in check.

For me I want to be the best and work with the best in the department I hope to represent, but to get there I gotta start as the worst along with the rest of my academy class. I respect you all, because you have been there and have gone through it and Im sure its frustrating seeing rooks or soon to be rooks getting hot pants, posting on forums asking how they can be the next supercop. Hopefully thats not the image I present to my superiors here, and if so, im sure it will be worked out as I go through the academy.

careerchange#2- I greatly appreciate your input and value any information and "setting things straight" that need to happen. I'm new to all of this, so its a learning process, so i take all your comments with the respect and seriousness I would if it was a superior sitting in front of me telling me this. Thank You Sir.

Comment

Ya, seems I have a lot to learn on simply expressing myself correctly. .
                        That is actually the biggest challenge in law enforcement.

The person who can correctly communicate his/her feelings and thoughts will have an easier time of it.

However never forget that good communication starts with listening

Comment

Iowa- Thanks for the reminder I always need to listen. Something I gotta always remember.

Comment

As others have said, learn how to be a cop first. Learn how to everything. Don't be one of those officers who can't do a DWI stop to save his life and has to call someone else to come do it for them. Or one of those officers who runs traffic all night while everyone else is shagging calls and taking reports.

Also, more than one of my buddies from my academy class was certain he was going to do X,Y, or Z and then totally changed their minds once they got a taste of the job. I have one friend who is a Marine bad*** type, and he was sure he was gonna go to SWAT first chance he got. But after going through SWAT school he decided it was too one-dimensional for him.

When you get out of the academy you're going to be expected to do it ALL. So don't let your eyes glaze over when you're being taught how to take a sexual assault report or process a burglary scene.

Good luck!

Comment

Ya, seems I have a lot to learn on simply expressing myself correctly.
                              As Iowa pointed out, this is the supreme challenge of law enforcement and it goes way beyond the squad room. You can do everything right and by the book on the street, but fail to write it properly in a report. You can fail to explain it clearly and effectively on the stand in court. When that happens, we end up with bad case law that ties the hands of every cop in the country. At some point in the near future, you'll be reading the Gant decision. That's the perfect example of doing something right, failing to articulate it properly and everyone losing out.

Its been told to us many times already by our academy coordinator and from the officer I rode along with that it is a "prove yourself" all the way through the academy and the FTO and first year and onto the rest of the career.
                              Law enforcement is very much a reputation driven career. People with good reputations go farther in this job than those with less than good reps. Your reputation begins to develop from the very first contact with your agency. I've seen promising officers damage their careers by their actions in the academy. That includes being "that" guy.

I understand how my post might seem to many who have spent years learning their work and excelling and excelling again. With all due respect sir, please don't misunderstand my determination and eagerness as a fresh out of high school kid looking to make it "big time" without putting in the time. I am just as eager to get out and excel at being a beat cop. When I am passionate about something I throw myself at it and give it everything and I want to know everything, something I hope will serve me well in future years but I admit i must watch as it can be a disservice to myself and those around me if not kept in check.
                              Eagerness is good. Just don't be overly eager. By that I mean don't be the guy following the instructors around say, "And what are we going to do today, Sarge? Huh Sarge? We gonna shoot guns today Sarge? I hope we shoot guns today, Sarge." You probably think I'm kidding but I've seen more than my share of these types.

Excelling in the academy is pretty easy. Ears open, mouth shut. Do what your told immediately and with purpose. Ask questions when you don't understand something (and only when you need clarification. Nothing worse than the guy who asks questions in an attempt to be noticed). Don't ever complain. Embrace the suck when it happens.
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5659 users online. 400 members and 5259 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X