300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• act on behalf of a police officer

1. can a border patrol agent, cbp officer, FAM act on behalf of a police officer?

example- you are of duty and at home....and you hear yelling and screaming coming from next door. can you go bang on the door and yell......police and/or kick down the door?

example-you are of duty and stop at a gas station....and a crime is taking place...whether its a robbery or an assault?

example-you are of duty but in uniform and someone comes to you asking for help?

2. we all know the saying that a police officer is on duty 24/7.........does that also apply to federal leo's...... like CBP,USMS,FAMS, ATF to name a few.
    Last edited by dangerr101; 08-16-2015, 09:21 PM.

Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
    1. can a border patrol agent, cbp officer, FAM act on behalf of a police officer? does jurisdiction play any part?

example- you are of duty and at home....and you hear yelling and screaming coming from next door. can you go bang on the door and yell......police and/or kick down the door?

example-you are of duty and stop at a gas station....and a crime is taking place...whether its a robbery or an assault?

example-you are of duty but in uniform and someone comes to you asking for help?

2. we all know the saying that a police officer is on duty 24/7.........does that also apply to federal leo's...... like CBP,USMS,FAMS, ATF to name a few.
    MOST states give ON DUTY Federal LEO"s police powers in regard to state crimes.

A couple do not.

That being said, most OFF DUTY LEO's (state/city/federal) are very good witness and know how to dial 911 in all but extreme emergencies
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Depends on the situation. When I'm off duty, I'm "Joe Citizen". I don't moonlight as a super hero, so will leave the crime fighting for the on duty folks. If I see a crime being committed I will call it in if it were serious enough. (Mostly violent crimes and some others that would cause an eminent danger to life). Other than that, I do my best to blend in and function as the other law abiding citizens in my community or wherever I may be.
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I keep driving. I hate warm Ouzo and Coke...

Comment

1. can a border patrol agent, cbp officer, FAM act on behalf of a police officer?
          If a state/ local peace officer ASKS for their help, generally yes. Colorado gives the power to enforce state laws to SOME federal officers and agents but not all. Those who CAN enforce state law on their own generally only do so to further their federal mission OR to protect life or property from immediate harm.

However, in Colorado, ANYONE can intervene in a crime they witness occurring. You don't HAVE to be a peace officer.

Some federal agencies will back their officers when they act as private citizens, some will not. CBP has a reputation for NOT backing their officers when they act off duty, conversely FBI has the reputation of expecting their agents to act and sort the details out later.

That depends a lot on the culture of the agency. Most federal agencies are tasks with enforcing a particular set of federal laws. CBPOs aren't likely to encounter someone smuggling something at the local Wendy's so their mandate to enforce those laws is limited off duty. FBI, USMS are exceptions, their enforcement authority is very broad even from a federal standpoint, and are given state authority in Colorado but they still use their state authority to further their federal mission. They aren't being paid to be state troopers or county sheriff's deputies.
          Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-16-2015, 09:47 PM.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

i have heard that the BOP will not back there CO's while of duty.......

but i would have never thought that an agency like CBP would not back its people if something happened while of duty.

Comment

Like stated before I will make one hell of a witness! but I am also not going to sit there and watch someone get robbed or beat to death at some point as a human being I expect anyone to step in and help out.

Comment

A few questions:

Why the f-ing hell would I be in uniform off duty?

Do off-duty officers' phones call 911?

Who says that we are on duty 24/7?
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I frequently ride around in uniform off duty on my Scootie-Puff Jr. I don't carry, as I feel that they will recognize and respect my Authority...
                  Last edited by CCCSD; 08-17-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Ateamer does one of THE best Cartman impressions I've ever seen! Rusty Shackleford too!

Comment

Federal officers draw their arrest powers from the USC. State/county/local from their respective state code. Most states also allow Feds to arrest as though they were a state officer in most situations. My state code:

(b) A person who:
                        (1) is employed full time as a federal enforcement officer;
                        (2) is empowered to effect an arrest with or without warrant for a violation of the United States Code; and
                        (3) is authorized to carry firearms in the performance of the person's duties;
                        may act as an officer for the arrest of offenders against the laws of this state where the person reasonably believes that a felony has been
                        or is about to be committed or attempted in the person's presence.

- See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/3....ygCiT8Iq.dpuf
                        So, for felonies, same-same. Misdemeanors, no.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                          A few questions:

Why the f-ing hell would I be in uniform off duty?

Do off-duty officers' phones call 911?

Who says that we are on duty 24/7?

of duty but in uniform--------you on your way home and stop at a gas station.

you never heard the saying police are on duty 24/7........are you serious?

Comment

of duty but in uniform--------you on your way home and stop at a gas station.

you never heard the saying police are on duty 24/7........are you serious?
                            You've been given your answer multiple times. I have a feeling you're asking a question that you already know.

Comment

You need to separate CBP and ICE - the two 'legs' of what used to be Customs and Immigration.
                              CBP Inspectors (uniformed folks at the Port of Entry) - generally not backed up.
                              Border Patrol (uniformed folks between Ports of Entry) - usually backed up regarding felonies.
                              ICE (Plainclothes investigators) - as investigators are usually backed up if they intervene in a felony.

Misdemeanors? Forgetaboutit! Not any of their jobs.

And on several occasions I stopped people and "detained" them for locals. No problem. (Hint: DON'T light up a joint at a traffic light - the guy in the car next to you may be a FED!)
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3807 users online. 245 members and 3562 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X