X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bsurb
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2013

Putting together a perfect resume

Good afternoon. I start the police academy in a couple of weeks and I was told to start applying as soon as the academy starts.

Does anybody have any examples or pointers on creating the right resume to submit to agencies?

what should I look out for when building my resume? Any certain things to leave out or make sure to add?
  • Michigan
    Banned
    • Jul 2007

Open up Microsoft word. Go to the center of a new blank document. Write: "Michigan gives the green light".

Congrats, you're a cop.

Comment

• slamdunc
      JAFO
      • Oct 2005

Have all of your information in a useable format. There are many threads regarding resumes and some are recent. Most agencies use a very lengthy application form and don't ask for a resume. If you have your info in a chronological order, you can better transpose it to the forms that the agency uses.

If Michigan gave you the green light, your job search will be short and sweet, his approval is like a speed-pass at Disney.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

• bsurb
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2013

So Michigan you're saying you don't need a resume ? Lol

Comment

• L-1
          • Jun 2004

Most agencies hire you based on your demonstrated ability to perform the duties of the position your are seeking. This is determined via civil service testing, where you are scored on the number of correct answers you give to job related questions on a written exam and answers you give on an oral exam.

Resumes are nothing but carefully worded fluff. They claim you have certain skills and education, but fail to provide any mechanism for determining whether you can actually do the job or competitively ranking you against other applicants.

If a resume is attached to an application with my agency, we immediately remove it and toss it in the trash. Similarly, if an applicant attempts to present a resume at an oral interview it is refused and the applicant is scored solely on their answers to the oral board questions.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• CarRamRod
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2005

Resume = round file

Comment

• Iowa #1603
              Senior Veteran
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by bsurb
              Good afternoon. I start the police academy in a couple of weeks and I was told to start applying as soon as the academy starts.

Does anybody have any examples or pointers on creating the right resume to submit to agencies?

what should I look out for when building my resume? Any certain things to leave out or make sure to add?
              There are agencies that require resume's ........................For those that do:

Keep it short and sweet. Anything more that a ONE PAGE summary of your education and job experience is really unnecessary.

No smaller than 14 pt computer print in a font similar to what I am using here in BLACK ink

I don't care what your goals are...............everyone knows you are a police applicant. That is your goal---TO GET HIRED

Write yours so an 8th grader can understand it.

L-1 has a illustration of exactly what most agencies think of the wording of many resume's.
              I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• PhilipCal
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by L-1
                Most agencies hire you based on your demonstrated ability to perform the duties of the position your are seeking. This is determined via civil service testing, where you are scored on the number of correct answers you give to job related questions on a written exam and answers you give on an oral exam.

Resumes are nothing but carefully worded fluff. They claim you have certain skills and education, but fail to provide any mechanism for determining whether you can actually do the job or competitively ranking you against other applicants.

If a resume is attached to an application with my agency, we immediately remove it and toss it in the trash. Similarly, if an applicant attempts to present a resume at an oral interview it is refused and the applicant is scored solely on their answers to the oral board questions.

Mr. OP. Here is your assignment for the day. Read and absorb what my colleagues have offered you. When you're finished with that, read and memorize what L-1 has offered you. You may not believe me, but what you've obtained here is some extremely valuable advice and counsel. It didn't cost you a dime, proving once more that often, "the best things in life are free".

Best of luck at your academy, and as you navigate the hiring process.

Comment

• Michigan
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by bsurb
                  So Michigan you're saying you don't need a resume ? Lol
                  God damn it grasshopper. I did not say that.

Comment

• bsurb
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2013

Yeah Iv also head that the Oral bored is the most important part.

Do you guys have any resources that can help you prepare for the oral board?

It's exciting but nervous at the same time when there's 5-7 people sitting in front of you asking scenario questions right off the bat.

Comment

• Kieth M.
                      When do I grow up?
                      • Oct 2005

Not aware of any entry level police officer position which requires a resume.

When I was a small town chief, I may have glanced at it, but what really mattered was the application form and personal history questionnaire which I supplied the candidate. Resumes and copies of certificates which I didn't ask for, meant nothing to me. They just got in the way. A copy of your fifth-grade perfect attendance award? Thanks! Just give me what I asked for, please, and nothing more. Part of this job is following directions.

However, there's nothing wrong with creating and storing a nice generic resume, right now, this minute, on your PC. A "rolling" resume, if you will, containing all your previous jobs and employers, certs, awards and licenses, as well as your current references and their contact info. Update it, every year, for the rest of your life should you need it.

Now to oral interviews -

Having taken several dozen orals, and sat on a few, no matter how many members of the oral board there are, you're only going to be asked one-question-at-a-time.

The most important thing I want to know is if you can answer a question, directly and satisfy me. If I ask for the current time, I do not need the complete history of timekeeping....sundials to water clocks to atomic clocks.

And, BTW, you questions have been likely answered before. Use the search function.
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

• bpd303
                        Nearly Normal
                        • May 2015

When it comes to filling out a personal history form for a department do not write see attached resume.
                        Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                        In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                        Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                        Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

• L-1
                          • Jun 2004

This is how resume content is viewed with respect to truth and accuracy -

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• CCCSD
                            Shadowman
                            • Jul 2014

Always a classic...

Comment

• Jo060
                              Big Dirty
                              • Mar 2010

the only reason I became a LEO is because they don't require a Resume. I ain't got time for dat.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20872 users online. 60 members and 20812 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...