300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol?

As I was reading through the "For those who have served in the military" thread, it brought up an interesting question. People who have been in know that after working hard all week, it becomes someting of a tradition for the guys (and gals) to go out drinking on the weekend. I guess it never really occured to me, but could this be frowned upon during a background investigation? I'm not talking about drunk on duty, DWI or drinking on a daily basis. I'm talking about the guys that give 100% all week long and go out and party Friday and/or Saturday night (or whatever nights that don't preceed duty days). Would this be considered abuse? I guess I never looked at it that way since I tend to associate abuse with dependancy.
    C. Davis

"Let us not forget those who gave their tomorrows for our todays"

I think it depends on what happens while you're out drinking with your buddies. If you go, have a few drinks, socialize a bit and have a good time, then I don't see a problem with it. However, if you're talking about going out and getting hammered on Fri & Sat nights (whether you have police contact or not), it probably won't look too well. Then you're talking binge drinking, which can have ramifications.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

the day I can't do thios job drunk or hung over is the day I turn in my badge and gun.........

just kidding...I enjoy going out with my partners for beers once in awhile but with a wife and a child on the way.....hmmmm that may just come to an end.
      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Re: Alcohol?

Originally posted by daviscmp
        People who have been in know that after working hard all week, it becomes someting of a tradition for the guys (and gals) to go out drinking on the weekend.
        If you "think" you have a problem with booze, you probably do. You might want to keep that in mind. When people who aren't alcoholics have a problem, they quit drinking, it's that easy for them.

Otherwise, don't worry about it as far as looking for a job. Just don't make any guilt ridden confessions to the background investigator.
        "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

after working hard all week, it becomes someting of a tradition for the guys (and gals) to go out drinking on the weekend.
          Haa haa...sounds like rationalizing to me!!! Just kidding...but only a little.....

Comment

Both active duty and reserves, heavy drinking was the norm.. Keggers or drinks at the NCO club. Thought it kinda funny when when the unit CO would warn us about drinking and driving or showing up the next morning still crocked, then say the units having a kegger outside after tour is over. Wasn't much else going on and love free beer...
            surly?? screw you....

Comment

College kids are worse and some dep`ts insist that college makes you a better cop.
              At least in the service you might mature and leave the binges in the past. I haven`t met too many ex G.I.s who think the world owes them a living.
              Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

Comment

If you "think" you have a problem with booze, you probably do. You might want to keep that in mind. When people who aren't alcoholics have a problem, they quit drinking, it's that easy for them.
                I'm not talking about having a "hey, I don't have to work tomorrow so I NEED to go out and drink mentality." I could take it or leave it. If I go a month or two or without having a drink, no biggie. I'm just asking if I were asked about alcohol history and said (honestly) that there were periods in the military when I was drunk once a week for several consecutive weeks and then periods of not drinking at all for weeks, months etc... How would it be interpreted? By drunk, I don't mean out of control or throwing up all over the place. I mean four or five drinks over a 3-4 hour period (I'm not in the Navy ya know ). Maybe impaired would be a better word. It seems to me that my attitude toward alcohol is rather conservative compared to most of my peers, but I was trying to get an idea of the way it would be perceived in the BI.

Haa haa...sounds like rationalizing to me!!! Just kidding...but only a little.....
                I thought that I had asked a reasonable question. If it wasn't please let me know, but I could do without the sarcasm.
                C. Davis

Comment

Maybe impaired would be a better word. It seems to me that my attitude toward alcohol is rather conservative compared to most of my peers, but I was trying to get an idea of the way it would be perceived in the BI.
                  If you don't bring it up, how will they know? If that's all you're doing, I doubt anybody else will.

And I would also suggest you turn down the sensitivity meter. Alcohol is a big problem everywhere and police depts are no exception. Like it or not, even asking about it sends up red flags. Most people who don't have drinking problems never think about it one way or the other. I'm not saying you have one, but if you're worried about what others might say, I dunno.
                  Last edited by retdetsgt; 11-25-2003, 02:48 PM.

Comment

If you don't bring it up, how will they know? If that's all you're doing, I doubt anybody else will.
                    This is one of the questions asked on the polygraph portion of the BI for the agency I am applying to. "How much/How often do you drink? How much/How often have you drank in the past? etc..." I am not going to lie about anything, especially on the polygraph.

All I wanted to know was, when I tell them that there were periods in the military when I was drunk (impaired) once a week for several consecutive weeks and then periods of not drinking at all for weeks, months etc..., will they interpret that as a problem or a "red flag" as you put it?

And I would also suggest you turn down the sensitivity meter. Alcohol is a big problem everywhere and police depts are no exception. Like it or not, even asking about it sends up red flags. Most people who don't have drinking problems never think about it one way or the other. I'm not saying you have one, but if you're worried about what others might say, I dunno.
                    I guess the reason I got defensive it that I have always prided myself on my sense of restraint in this area. I don't understand the "since he asked, he must have a problem" attitude. Most of the people that I know and work with drink to excess. Getting so wasted that they can't see straight two, three or more times a week-every week without fail and as long as they don't get in trouble, nobody cares. It's not the easiest thing to stay home when all your buddies are going out to the bar, or to go with them and be the only one drinking a diet coke. I have done both many times.
                    C. Davis

Comment

A problem? hell, for our DUI class in the academy we had to drink while getting paid to sit around and get smashed. One half of the class got smashed the first day while the sober half used them as test subjects for field sobriety exercises, then the next day we switched.

there is absolutely no problem with going out every weekend and having a few.

Comment

This is one of the questions asked on the polygraph portion of the BI for the agency I am applying to. "How much/How often do you drink? How much/How often have you drank in the past? etc..." I am not going to lie about anything, especially on the polygraph.

Which is another reason a polygraph is a dumbass way to screen applicants. Everything is triggered to a guilt response. Some people could have three drinks and feel guilty about it and others could drink 20X that much and not.

I doubt drinking on the weekends is going to cause you problems getting hired. Sorry, I didn't understand the polygraph was involved. I thought you were talking about reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by ChesCopPodz
                          A problem? hell, for our DUI class in the academy we had to drink while getting paid to sit around and get smashed. One half of the class got smashed the first day while the sober half used them as test subjects for field sobriety exercises, then the next day we switched.

there is absolutely no problem with going out every weekend and having a few.
                          Hmmm...What about those people who don't drink?? Either for personal or religious beliefs??

Comment

Daviscmp, the situation that you describe doesn't sound all that serious to me. But, like anything else, things like that can get serious if it gets out of hand or turns into a regular lifestyle.

Hell, my entire shift will occasionally get together and have a shifter every couple of months at someone's house. We have a few drinks, tell a few stories and then either go home or stay over and sleep on the basement floor (which ever is appropriate).

Also, as has already been mentioned. If you want to get into this line of work, you're going to have to be able to take some ribbing about pretty much anything. Some of the funniest guys I've ever met with the most wicked senses of humor are working as LEO's, and very little is out of bounds and not considered fair game when it comes to zinging a fellow officer.
                            Then again, having been in the military, I'm guessing you've already run into some of this.
                            Last edited by G.W.; 11-26-2003, 06:25 AM.
                            You catch em.......... you clean em!

Comment

Denial ain't just a river in Eeeeeeegyyyyptttt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5088 users online. 382 members and 4706 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X