Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front licence plate?

Hi guys,

I'd just like to know if I'm allowed to have the front licence plate on my windshield. I see them on the windshield of cars and trucks all the time, but I'd really just like to confirm this from a cop. I live in Idaho. The other day I passed by a cop and they saw me, but didn't do anything..they just kept driving off. I'm still skeptical.

The Idaho licence plate law states: (1) License plates assigned to a motor vehicle shall be attached, one (1) in the front and the other in the rear.

It doesn't say where in the front (loop hole? Lol idk..).

Please help!

You really should get your "legal" advice from an attorney. If you ask 5 LEO the same question, you'll probably get 5 different answers, and not all necessarily the correct answers.

In most states, the license plate shouldn't be in the windshield unless there are circumstances that prevent it from being properly attached to the front bumper in the spot designed by the auto manufacturer.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Attached may be the operative word there. Front windshield usually just means laying on dashboard and those can be hard to read. Ask someone locally what their policy is.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
        In most states, the license plate shouldn't be in the windshield unless there are circumstances that prevent it from being properly attached to the front bumper in the spot designed by the auto manufacturer.
        Any idea why it can't be on the windshield? I mean, if the state allows someone to put their licence plate on their windshield just because their vehicle doesn't have a place to properly attach the licence plate, is it really that big of a deal?

Comment

Mount it on the front where the manufacture has a mounting space. There are multiple reasons why the officer passed you by. Could have been responding to a call (non emergency), transporting a prisoner, was checking the vehicle in front of him, shift was over, etc, etc. The next time you may be stopped.
          Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
          In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
          Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
          Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

I will answer for my state..............it is quite clear in the code

ATTACHED means fastened to the vehicle NOT placed in the windshield

321.37 DISPLAY OF PLATES.
            1. Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a
            motorcycle, motorized bicycle or a truck tractor shall be attached to
            the motor vehicle, one in the front and the other in the rear.
            The
            registration plate issued for a motorcycle or other vehicle required
            to be registered hereunder shall be attached to the rear of the
            vehicle. The registration plate issued for a truck tractor shall be
            attached to the front of the truck tractor. The special plate issued
            to a dealer shall be attached on the rear of the vehicle when
            operated on the highways of this state.
            2. Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle which is model
            year 1948 or older, and reconstructed or specially constructed
            vehicles built to resemble a model year 1948 vehicle or older, other
            than a truck registered for more than five tons, motorcycle, or truck
            tractor, may display one registration plate on the rear of the
            vehicle if the other registration plate issued to the vehicle is
            carried in the vehicle at all times when the vehicle is operated on a
            public highway.
            3. It is unlawful for the owner of a vehicle to place any frame
            around or over the registration plate which does not permit full view
            of all numerals and letters printed on the registration plate.

Originally posted by Handsel View Post
            Any idea why it can't be on the windshield? I mean, if the state allows someone to put their licence plate on their windshield just because their vehicle doesn't have a place to properly attach the licence plate, is it really that big of a deal?
            Because the law states ATTACHED.

That is reason enough------------the legislature says it is to be that way

Now before you ask another question on this --------------------The Iowa Supreme Court often prefaces it's rulings with a sentence similar to this
            "When deciding wording questions we look at the normal or usual meaning of words as well as the intent of the legislature when wording the statute.

Normal usage for "attached" is bonded or otherwise firmly secured to --------------
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The greater majority of automobiles sold in the U.S. have a place on the front bumper where the manufacturer has designed mounting brackets, screws, holes, etc. for you to mount your front license plate. Very few states have front plates as "optional". Use the mounting holes or bracket designed by the manufacturer. Otherwise, go to an auto parts store and purchase the proper mounting hardware. What's even lamer than getting a ticket would be having to get new plates because you lost one of them.

One of the many reasons why front license plates are required is to quickly identify a vehicle. This may actually be to your advantage. I've been on warrant sweeps where we were looking for a "Silver 2000 Honda Accord, LIC #: ********". While on the road, we would quickly scan on coming cars. I'll give you one guess how we decided NOT to stop the bulk of them. The cars without a front plate or with an obscured front plate were stopped so we could verify it wasn't the car we were looking for.

Follow the law rather attempting to find "loop holes". Makes life a lot easier.
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Or you could just leave it on the dash and give the police a reason to stop ya.
                Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Did you come to inquire, or did you come to argue. While you're correct in the sense that in the overall scheme of things, your situation is really pretty minor, the law requires that the plate be securely affixed to the vehicle. Should your vehicle lack a place to securely affix the plate, a dealer or auto supply outlet should be able to help you.

OTH, if you elect to display the plate in the manner you currently are, you run the risk of being cited. Please understand that it's immaterial to me what you decide. Any money for fines/court costs is coming out of your pocket.

Comment

Honestly between the time of your first post and your second post you could have had it mounted right.
                    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Comment

From Idaho Statutes:

49-428. Display of plate and stickers. (1) License plates assigned to a motor vehicle shall be attached, one (1) in the front and the other in the rear, with the exception of the following:

(a) The license plate assigned to a motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle, utility type vehicle, motorbike or semitrailer and the license plate assigned to a motor vehicle operated by a manufacturer, repossession agent or dealer shall be attached to the rear.

(b) Vehicles displaying year of manufacture, old timer, classic car or street rod license plates shall be allowed to display one (1) plate attached to the rear of the vehicle.

(c) The license plate attached to a tractor shall be attached to the front.

(d) The wrecker plate shall be displayed on the vehicle being towed in such a manner as to be visible when the vehicle being towed is approached from the rear.

License plates shall be displayed during the current registration year. The annual registration sticker for the current registration year shall be displayed on each license plate, except for trailers and semitrailers on extended registration under the provisions of section 49-434, Idaho Code. For the purposes of this title, the license plates together with the registration stickers shall be considered as license plates for the year designated on the registration sticker.

(2) Every license plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned to prevent the plate from swinging, be at a height not less than twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, be in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible, and all registration stickers shall be securely attached to the license plates and shall be displayed as provided in section 49-443(4), Idaho Code.

From this we gather that the plate must be bolted down and cannot have anything over it such as a license plate cover or glass that might reflect light or somehow obstruct view. With this in mind, it cannot be on the dash behind the windshield.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Any idea why it can't be on the windshield?
                        Think about it. What's the purpose of requiring a license plate to be displayed on your vehicle?

Answer: to be able to quickly identify the vehicle while it's being driven.

I assume you mean on the dash, not "on the windshield" unless you're affixing it to your windshield with glue or something, in which case, I would think it would obstruct your view.

License plates are required to be displayed in easily visible places on the front and back of the car. It protects you too. What if your car gets stolen, and a cop passes your car going the opposite direction? It's very hard to read a license plate in your rearview as it drives away from you. Had you displayed your plate properly, the cop may have been able to get your car back and put the bad guy in jail. With a law requiring a front plate, the cop might stop the car anyway and discover it's stolen.. again you get your car back and the bad guy goes to jail.

I really don't understand why some people are so set against putting a license plate on the front of their car. I've put a front plate on every car I've ever owned, and I never give it a second thought. I guess I'm just not "hip" or something.

Comment

In my end of the world, it is very common for the sports car crowd to not display a front tag because "it doesn't look pretty". It has gotten to a point that they either don't put the bracket on their new car or take it off and then cry "it doesn't have a place for it to go!"

Many years ago, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it but I finally realized that to drive a stolen or wanted car, just take the front tag off and back into parking spaces. Seldom, if ever, will an officer walk through a parking lot checking registration plates. I took it upon myself to make it easier for every officer to catch bad-guys by designating a few hours a week of my time to writing a citation to every vehicle I saw with no front plate.

Just like the seat belt stings some departments use, if there was strict enforcement of all equipment violations, I'd venture a guess that a LOT of crooks would be caught. "Excuse me Missy, I need to verify your high beam headlight indicator is working."
                          If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Why not just put it where it's intended to go?
                            I'm going to guess there is no room because...

-1998 Honda Civic with oversized intercooler?

Comment

Originally posted by Jo060 View Post
                              Why not just put it where it's intended to go?
                              I'm going to guess there is no room because...

-1998 Honda Civic with oversized intercooler?
                              \

OR

A lot of mid to higher end foreign cars have bumpers that are not drilled for a front plate
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5729 users online. 399 members and 5330 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X