300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cop that doesnt have any personally owned guns

do any of your coworkers not have any personally owned firearm? I don't know too many cops (just 4) but 3 of them have atleast 1 gun, my cousin who has been a cop for about 4 years now and is finally looking to purchase a small firearm that is easily able to be concealed. He is looking at the glock 27 last I heard. If he carries off duty he just carries his duty handgun which by policy he is able to do. I was asking him today why he never bought a gun before he said he never wanted to spend the $400 or so dollars to get one

Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Lots of cops aren't gun people.

Even for those who are, especially if you live in a crazy restrictive state, it's probably just easier to carry your duty gun than buy your own.

Some agencies even issue a duty gun and a backup/ off-duty gun. California DFW does or did: G22/G27.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

For a long time I didn't own guns even after I was hired. But then an senior deputy wants to retire and was wiling to sell a partially used g27... For WAY less than market price. Then the department decided to change inventory of duty shotguns... For way less than market price. Too bad they get hung up on ARs... I was looking to make a complete set.

Its a mixed bag.
        semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
          Lots of cops aren't gun people..
          Our lead weapons instructor isn't a "gun person"

He has personal guns but as he said the other day-----------I'll bet you (meaning me) shoots more outside training than I do........he shoots when he is re-certifying his creds & on the range with us but NEVER other than that.
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've known more than a few cops that only own their service gun. I've known a few that never carried off duty.
            Last edited by BNWS; 06-14-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

In my area I don't know of any officer who doesn't own at least several personal firearms. In my case I have owned them since about the age of ten.
              Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
              In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
              Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
              Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

I own a few firearms aside from my issued one, but I'm hardly a "gun guy". I was much more into guns prior to entering LE, and that's when I bought the majority of them. In fact, I have only purchased one weapon (got a good deal on a Remington 870) since I was hired ten years ago. Now, my interest in firearms extends only to remaining proficient in their use, very proficient I should say. I have always shot well and plan to keep doing so. There are many other things I would rather spend money on than a safe full of weapons I never get to shoot that need to be maintained. Nothing against those that do, it's just not my thing.
                Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
                To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
                  For a long time I didn't own guns even after I was hired. But then an senior deputy wants to retire and was wiling to sell a partially used g27... For WAY less than market price. Then the department decided to change inventory of duty shotguns... For way less than market price. Too bad they get hung up on ARs... I was looking to make a complete set.

Its a mixed bag.
                  What is a partially used gun? When we switched from DAS to DAK Sigs as issued gun, I was ticked they wouldn't let us buy ours. I have a couple extra guns.

Comment

When I retired the dept. presented me with my Sig P220 service pistol, with duty belt & holster also they let me purchase the Ithaca model 37 riot shotgun I carried for $150. What left me in awe was, the guys got together and presented me with a new Sig P220 Wilson Combat, engraved with my name and rank. I still get a lump in my throat over this.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by bpd303 View Post
                      In my area I don't know of any officer who doesn't own at least several personal firearms. In my case I have owned them since about the age of ten.
                      I agree with bpd, every officer I know has several personal firearms and upon retirement, an option to purchased their department issued service weapon at a discount.

Originally posted by bpd303 View Post
                      When I retired the dept. presented me with my Sig P220 service pistol, with duty belt & holster also they let me purchase the Ithaca model 37 riot shotgun I carried for $150. What left me in awe was, the guys got together and presented me with a new Sig P220 Wilson Combat, engraved with my name and rank. I still get a lump in my throat over this.
                      Apparently I retired from the wrong department, all I received was chrome plated pot metal a flat retired badge and a bruised rear from the door hitting me on the way out. I was allowed to purchase my issued firearm at a discount 60 days later.

Comment

When I first got on the NYPD you had to purchase your service revolver from the department and an off duty revolver from a private dealer. Later when I switched to the 9mm they issued it and let me keep it when I retired.

Comment

Still got the Jay-Pee holster?

Comment

Originally posted by sanitizer View Post
                            Apparently I retired from the wrong department, all I received was chrome plated pot metal a flat retired badge and a bruised rear from the door hitting me on the way out. I was allowed to purchase my issued firearm at a discount 60 days later.
                            Pot metal badge
                            My chief allowed me to keep the gold lieutenant's badge I wore for so many years and issued me a department ID card that says Lieutenant [retired] on it. One of the reasons I started the Join team Dave thread in Family matters.

Comment

I know cops who have 20 + gun safes FULL. I'm not a gun guy. I grew up in the city, still live in the city, and I haven't hunted since I was 16. I did buy a backup/off-duty gun that conceals a little better. Also, I keep my duty gun on my belt (inside a safe) when I'm off-duty. I try to never mess with my belt set-up because I don't want an embarrassing situation where I come to work with an empty holster. Despite not being a "gun guy", I carry nearly all the time off-duty. In the future, I'll probably buy 1 shotgun and 1 rifle, just so I can practice with those more regularly. I don't know many cops who don't have a compact gun of some type, but I know quite a few just own 1 other gun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4224 users online. 247 members and 3977 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X