300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do retired cops look so old?

I may be wrong, looks like many have had the life sucked out of them?

You're not too far from wrong. Of course genetics plays a big part of it but the fact is stress WILL wear you down, plain & simple. Whether that stress is from your assignment, your boss, the job & family interaction is on you, but IMO, yeah, it's stress.......

Comment

It's a combination of stress, environmental factors, lack of exercise and personal fitness, and a few other things, give or take. Many older LEOs are likely to live poorly in their personal lives and drink/smoke heavily, depending on the culture they came up in. I know plenty of people who have been broken by 5 years on the job and I know people who have been working for 20-30 and retired in perfect health. The mileage will always vary.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
        You're not too far from wrong. Of course genetics plays a big part of it but the fact is stress WILL wear you down, plain & simple. Whether that stress is from your assignment, your boss, the job & family interaction is on you, but IMO, yeah, it's stress.......
        That's why they get early retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacekeeper101 View Post

Do you think maybe it has to do with the reasoning that MOST agencies let officers retire at 50-55 with 20-25 yrs of service instead of the normal 65 yrs of age and 40+ yrs of service?????????

See below

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
          Originally posted by Waffles1981 View Post
          It's a combination of stress, environmental factors, lack of exercise and personal fitness, and a few other things, give or take. Many older LEOs are likely to live poorly in their personal lives and drink/smoke heavily, depending on the culture they came up in. I know plenty of people who have been broken by 5 years on the job and I know people who have been working for 20-30 and retired in perfect health. The mileage will always vary.

Years of shift work is detrimental to your health too
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

What the hell are you talking about? They look fricken beautiful. Don't listen to him fellas, I'd do ya without a moments hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacekeeper101 View Post
              Maybe because they have? OP how many truly heinous things have seen in real life? Have you ever had skin to skin contact with a 2 year old cold and wet from the bottom of the pool? While lying next to his twin brother who is also dead? While hearing that scream only death brings?

Have you ever had a bad day at your job broadcasted worldwide? Have people you have never met and WILL never meet use your first and last name as if they know you and second guess every possible aspect of that bad day? Then people riot and other die because of what that news cycle CLAIMED you did?

You ever drive down a street in your town and have someone yell "**** you pig!" Then look and see a school age child?

As others posted, we look old because stress ages is prematurely.
              semper destravit

Comment

All my friends seem old - but not me!
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Shift work, high stress levels, poor eating habits and no or inadequate exercise will do it to anyone. Hopefully, I can end my duty at the end of this year so that will be not quite 27 total years of service. I just hope I can make it there and then live many healthy and productive years after "the end."

I see other students from my graduating class in high school on FB and they may look a little better-one reason being that they post their better and best images.

Comment

too much sex......just wears you out.
                    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Because they are old!
                      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

I never felt old after retirement, I was only 42 after all. But the recent death of my Wife of 38 years has aged me beyond description. I will probably never recover.
                        21 Years, Retired, Pensioned

Comment

Originally posted by valvestem View Post
                          I never felt old after retirement, I was only 42 after all. But the recent death of my Wife of 38 years has aged me beyond description. I will probably never recover.
                          Sorry to hear brother.

Comment

In my case its probably because my first day on the job was in 1969. Were you even born then? Get off my lawn!

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                              Because they are old!
                              This.

This question is like "Why is water always so wet?"
                              I miss you, Dave.
                              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5141 users online. 276 members and 4865 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X