Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accounting vs Finance? What to major in?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounting vs Finance? What to major in?

If you had to pick between majoring in Accounting or Finance, which one would you pick and why?

Things I have heard about them so far:

Accounting:
    -More of reading and understanding information
    -Math is not super hard
    -Boring/Not as interesting as finance
    -Have a better chance of landing a job than finance

Finance:
    -More of learning how to spend, save, and invest money
    -Involves more math and calculations
    -A bit more interesting than accounting
    -Could possibly earn more money than accounting
    -Learn how to save and spend money more wisely

Opinions, concerns, thoughts, comments are all welcome. Appreciate any responses.

I say major in business and minor in Spanish.
    semper destravit

Comment

Accounting = a real job. You can get the gist of finance with the 100/200 level courses and not be worse off for it. Economics if you're willing to go for a graduate degree.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Didn't you already ask this question? Are you planning on being an accountant or a certified financial advisor? Otherwise, it doesn't matter. Only you can make this decision.
        "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Accounting is more likely to help you in investigations, if you choose that path later on. We always want to follow the money.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

I say finance, specifically financial analysis. Knowing how to analyze data effectively is extremely important to an accounting department, and will often times fetch more money than an accountant. And being able to quickly and effectively analyze items looking for the "waldo" is a transferable skill that is useful in about any job.

Comment

I'd go with Accounting. You can always find well-paying work with an Accounting degree.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyVet View Post
                Didn't you already ask this question? Are you planning on being an accountant or a certified financial advisor? Otherwise, it doesn't matter. Only you can make this decision.

Yes and I am STILL trying to find out why this question is being asked in LAW ENFORCEMENT forum rather than in a financial forum
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Clearly this person values our opinions unlike 87.5% of the prospective police recruits....
                  semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    Yes and I am STILL trying to find out why this question is being asked in LAW ENFORCEMENT forum rather than in a financial forum
                    I gave up. I'm just going to start picking majors for kids. The next person who asks I'm going to recommend Art History specializing in Asiatic cultures.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                      Accounting = a real job. You can get the gist of finance with the 100/200 level courses and not be worse off for it. Economics if you're willing to go for a graduate degree.
                      Hmm Okay. Yeah I know you can do financial jobs with an accounting degree but not the other way around.

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                      Accounting is more likely to help you in investigations, if you choose that path later on. We always want to follow the money.
                      Interesting. Thanks for the reply!

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                      I say finance, specifically financial analysis. Knowing how to analyze data effectively is extremely important to an accounting department, and will often times fetch more money than an accountant. And being able to quickly and effectively analyze items looking for the "waldo" is a transferable skill that is useful in about any job.
                      Wouldn't I be able to do that with an accounting degree or no?

Originally posted by Waffles1981 View Post
                      I'd go with Accounting. You can always find well-paying work with an Accounting degree.
                      Yeah I always thought of this. It's just that accounting is not the funnest class and finance may possibly be more interesting to me but I just haven't found out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by craftspace234 View Post

Yeah I always thought of this. It's just that accounting is not the funnest class and finance may possibly be more interesting to me but I just haven't found out yet.
                        You should really find something you actually enjoy doing. I have a BA in Accounting, and to earn that is takes more than just finishing ONE boring accounting class. Don't just pursue a degree because it can make you lots of money or because it's easier to find a job. Certainly that helps, but you have to ENJOY what you are doing.

To obtain an Accounting degree, not only do you take your well rounded business courses, such as economics, management, finance, statistics, Business Law, etc. But you have to complete Basic Accounting 1 and 2, Intermediate Accounting 1 and 2, Government Accounting, Auditing and Tax Accounting. So if you think one basic accounting class was boring...you haven't seen anything yet.

Prior to going into law enforcement, I was an accountant for 12 years and promoted to Controller. I made a good living doing this, but damm...it was boring. I switched jobs every couple of years because I would get so bored. I cleaned up the company's mess, then moved onto another company while earning more money or getting promoted.

You have to consider what you want to do in the long run. Do you want to pursue law enforcement? If you're young and want to join the FBI, they like their agents to have an accounting or law degree...and of course bi-lingual is a huge plus.

Good luck, hope this helps with your decision.
                        "Think about the consequences before you mess with a Deputy Sheriff."

Comment

Or, you could major in History of Aids, Progress in the Projects, or, simply go into politics. Look what the current crew has accomplished with just a little red wagon full of ignorance and stupidity.

OK, you asked a serious question. Either would be a good choice, both are marketable, and YOU have to make the call. Best of luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4582 users online. 286 members and 4296 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X