Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a California handicap placard supposed to be honored in NYC?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a California handicap placard supposed to be honored in NYC?

Is a California handicap placard supposed to be honored in NYC?

I had a relative visiting NYC, they parked by a meter and put money in, the meter exipred while they were in the location but they had their handicap placard displayed and they got a ticket.

CA DMV said it should have been honored in NYC, but when my relative first contested the ticket, they got rejected. Is it really supposed to be honored?

Thank you
    Last edited by ghurty; 04-14-2015, 12:09 PM.

dmv.ny.gov

Parking Spaces, New York City

New York City does not set aside reserved spaces on its streets for persons with disabilities. Reserved parking spaces are only available off-street, in parking lots for shopping centers/malls, office/apartment buildings and college campuses. You can use the vehicle plates for disabled persons or a state permit for disabled persons to park in reserved spaces in those off-street lots.
    I'm not in New York and I won't go through statutes but this appears to be your answer. Your realitive wasn't given a citation because of lack of disability placard but instead for an expired meter. There doesn't appear to be an exception for handicap to the meter when there are reserved spots located off-street.
    Last edited by eaker995; 04-14-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Various states (and even Canada and Mexico) honor the placards, however, what privileges are granted will vary from state to state. Sometimes they only grant access to handicapped spaces. Many still require that money be placed in the meter. Most are not as liberal as California so you need to check the local rules whenever you travel outside the state.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
        dmv.ny.gov

I'm not in New York and I won't go through statutes but this appears to be your answer. Your realitive wasn't given a citation because of lack of disability placard but instead for an expired meter. There doesn't appear to be an exception for handicap to the meter when there are reserved spots located off-street.
        Yep.............you would get a parking ticket in Iowa too.....................Not a violation of handicap placard violation but an expired meter ticket
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

NYC issues its own disabled parking permits. Very strict requirements to get one. However, the NYC placard allows the holder to park almost anyplace. Other than a city issued permit all others are not honored for on street parking.

Comment

A future episode of "PARKING WARS"???????
            My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4159 users online. 193 members and 3966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X