300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars, lights, sirens, etc...

So what exactly does a police car have in it's arsenal? I saw on TV this big board with a bunch of buttons on it when the officer was turning on the siren. How does it work? Just press a button to toggle on and off? Just curious. Thanks.
    ~The Python~

You got it man. Press one button, lights go on. Press it again, lights go off. Press another button, siren goes on. press it again, siren goes off. This concept also applies to the take downs, rear flashers, alley lights etc.

NASA engineers not required.

Comment

Ok thanks Are there any restrictions put on you as to where you can use certain things (for example using a siren in a neighborhood at night) etc...?
      ~The Python~

Comment

No restrictions whatsoever provided it is an emergency call. If it's a real emergency then I don't give a damn about waking folks up if it'll get some traffic out of my way.

Comment

Originally posted by PC August
          You got it man. Press one button, lights go on. Press it again, lights go off. Press another button, siren goes on. press it again, siren goes off. This concept also applies to the take downs, rear flashers, alley lights etc.

NASA engineers not required.
          August said it all.
          Beside the radio, camera and siren, most police cars also have a laptop computer, shotgun, semi-automatic riffle, and the trunk contains the rest of equipments...such as stop sticks, flashers and other emergency equipments.

But the use of light and siren varies, depending on the situation. Sometimes only flashing light is enough to pull someone over, but in emergencies(i.e. accidents involving injuries and car chase), you always go Light and Siren.
          Better to sweat in the gym than to bleed on the street

Comment

Mine's even easier. We have the Whelen light box with the pursuit slide. First click is rear flashers, second is front and rear flashers and third is strobes and flashers. No need to even look down. We also have the Whelen siren box with hands free mode. Hit the horn button (harder with the newer Fords) and it goes on, another punch and it changes tones. Double tap and it turns off.

We have to be able to justify the need for running lights. Backup to an officer requesting emergency help or an expidited unit...yup. Medical emergency...depends. If it's simply a mediacla call, no, we won't even go. Rescue can get there and do more than we can. If it's medical but the scene isn;t clear, such as a fight or something else, then yeah, it's BTTW, lights and siren.

I don't like using my siren on robberies, posible burglaries in progress, etc. because you can hear those things (much like brake squeel and acceleration) forever.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moshref
              [B]August said it all.
              Beside the radio, camera and siren, most police cars also have a laptop computer, shotgun, semi-automatic riffle, and the trunk contains the rest of equipments...such as stop sticks, flashers and other emergency equipments.

Damn, must be nice... All we get is intermittent Whelen strobes or crap Vector halogens, use the PA and make our own "siren", and lots of bubblegum and elastics to hold it all together...Shotguns , laptops and rifles??? Think I've seen those on "Cops"..I thought the trunk was used to keep trash in... *sigh* must be nice working for a dept that gets the tools to it's cops.......
              surly?? screw you....

Comment

We too have the Wheelen hands free. I have a low profile strobe bar on my vehicle. I slide turns on my rear strobes, two turns on front and rear strobes, and three add's the siren for "pursuit mode." I also have hands free capability. If I am in slide 2, and someone in front of me does not get the hint, I can hit my horn and it will let out a short yelp of the siren. If I am in slide three, my horn acts as a hands free siren control. Each tap of the horn changes the siren tones, and a double tap to turn it off. Out older cars have the SmartPad II which I cannot stand. It operates on a phone cable that is plugged in, rather than hard wired such as the Wheelen. I also have a shotgun, bino's, laptop, etc...
                In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

I have a question that is somewhat on the same lines. I notice that allot of unmarked squads have lights mounted inside the windshield. Doesn't that make it hard to see, especially at night? Even if they have a cover on the back of them, doesn't the reflection get into your eyes? I've always been curious about that.

Comment

On a sidenote, do all police cruisers have cameras in them? Or does it just vary on the department's prefrence?
                    “The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.”

-Captain Patrick Etheridge, U.S Life Saving Service

Comment

archer - yes it does

dirtbiker - no they don't, each dept. determines what they need within their budget.

Comment

Thanks
                        “The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.”

-Captain Patrick Etheridge, U.S Life Saving Service

Comment

I have a camera question too. Do you have to have them on all the time or what? DO they force you or does the officer pick? Also, what is the purpose for those little lights in unmarked cars. Why not just have none because you can barely see them.
                          ~The Python~

Comment

Not all departments use cameras; some do some don't. Sometimes they're active from the start of a shift until it ends, other times they go on automatically anytime the overheads are activated...and sometimes they're totally under the officer's control via a switch in the car or on his belt. Either way, nobody (usually) has access to the actual tape besides supervisors and they can't be erased or taped over while they're on board. The tape itself is (usually) in a locked box in the trunk to which the officer (usually) doesn't have a key.

Unmarked lights aren't really designed to warn traffic many blocks ahead the way overhead light bars are and they're visible enough to the driver right in front of the them. Large departments usually have more lights behind the grill or at least alternating headlights and even those little dashboard lights are being replaced by dashboard strobe lights that project a lot better.
                            Last edited by ProWriter; 11-16-2003, 10:56 PM.
                            No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Ok thanks. So I guess cameras arn't a really big deal then? They just use them if they (or you) need to prove something? Do they only face the front of the patrol car? Also, on the topics of lights. I've always wondered, why don't California Highway patrol (maybe in other states too, dunno) cars have no lights on top and just a bunch of antennas? They usually only have orange lights in the rear window. Is there any particular reason for this?
                              ~The Python~

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8965 users online. 317 members and 8648 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X