Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Entrepreneur Turning To Law Enforcement

Hello All LEO,

I do have a question regarding my life long interest in law enforcement. If any of you would steer me in a direction I would definitely appreciate it.

Two months after graduating high school I was given the opportunity to start a transmission repair facility in orange county, CA. I will be 23 in a few weeks here. My business is the #1 rated facility in orange county due to the customer service we provide and being honest. How this ties into law enforcement is that it has always been a passion of mine.

I am now in a position to pursue a career in law enforcement. I have put a staff in place at my business so that I do not need to be there physically or mentally. I have definitely gained life experience the past five years with all the things that I have had to encounter with my small business. Along with that I have matured, gained responsibilities and obligations that I would never trade for the world.

I feel in a way not as accomplished as other recruits who have a degree, military, or have been involved with law enforcement for many years.

What can I do to make myself a better candidate at this point? Or do you feel the skills I have gained from my business and also my success gives me a great chance to start a career in law enforcement with the right department?

Once again I thank you all for your support and help

The experience of building and running a small business would be an excellent background for a law enforcement officer.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      The experience of building and running a small business would be an excellent background for a law enforcement officer.
      I agree with Iowa. Customer service is what we do on a daily basis. A degree and / or military are good ways to get an edge, but if the agency doesn't require a degree, you should be on a level playing field.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
        I agree with Iowa. Customer service is what we do on a daily basis. A degree and / or military are good ways to get an edge, but if the agency doesn't require a degree, you should be on a level playing field.

One of my boss's...............(who later became an appointed US Marshal) asked me in an interview
        "If you don't get this job, could you make a living selling used cars." I answered, "I dont' want to sell cars" but Dennis pushed back.........."I don't care COULD you make a living selling cars"

Many years later I was having lunch with him and asked what was the meaning of that question.

His answer was-------------we are salesmen. We sell the law to our customers------if we can't sell it we have to force it on them and selling is easier than forcing.. His theory was that a person who could be a salesman had the basics of being a good cop.

The more I thought about his reasoning the more I agreed with him .

Like you said -----customer service
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Let me guess, you have "Integrity" written all over you.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Your history shows drive, problem solving and organizational skills, communication and customer service skills, interacting with subordinates professionally, etc. Sell those qualities during interviews/oral boards and you'll stand out.

College certainly won't hurt your chances. Get some credits under your belt, take some basic Spanish if you don't know it already, and you'll further separate yourself from the herd.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              +1
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10391 users online. 524 members and 9867 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X