Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

avoid speeding tickets?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • avoid speeding tickets?

    I had a conversation with someone and we can't agree on what the proper action should be when driving behind a truck or multiple trucks:

    A civilian driver is traveling on a two-lane highway. Speed limit is 55MPH. Driver is now behind two 18-wheeler tractor trailers, both traveling about 50 MPH. Driver signals and moves to the left lane, accelerates to 60MPH, passes both trucks, then moves back to the right lane after clearing both trucks. He gets a speeding ticket in the process.

    Should the driver have waited and just drove behind the trucks to avoid getting the speeding ticket?
    If the speed limit is 55, can you exceed that limit temporarily when in the left lane ("pass lane"?)

    My response was once you exceed the speed limit, no matter what, you're open to getting a ticket.
    Someone else said the pass lane allows you to pass vehicles if you're within 5 miles of the speed limit.

  • #2
    Someone gets cited for going 5 MPH over the posted limit?

    Try again.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by option1 View Post

      My response was once you exceed the speed limit, no matter what, you're open to getting a ticket.
      That is correct.......................100% true

      Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      Someone gets cited for going 5 MPH over the posted limit?

      Try again.
      But so is that...........................

      I once wrote a 5mph speeding ticket. There was a backstory to that citation that caused me to write the ticket.

      Originally posted by option1 View Post
      Someone else said the pass lane allows you to pass vehicles if you're within 5 miles of the speed limit.
      THAT would be false
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

      Comment


      • #4
        In all fairness, I stopped someone who was going 7 MPH over once, but he was a possible burglary suspect and the speed violation was just a pretext to ID him.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          Someone gets cited for going 5 MPH over the posted limit?

          Try again.
          Unless you are in NYC. How about 4mph over?

          Even city cops feel bad for blindsiding drivers by enforcing the new 25-mph speed limit with little warning.
          The officer who pulled over bridge painter Dino Ioannou for going 29 mph just two weeks after the lower limit took effect said he would have let it slide if the NYPD wasn’t under so much pressure from City Hall.
          “The cop who pulled me over said he felt bad he had to give me a ticket,” said Ioannou, 35, a father of two young children who unsuccessfully fought the $130 ticket Monday at the DMV’s Traffic Violations Bureau in Flushing.
          “The cop even said, ‘I’m so sorry, normally I wouldn’t enforce this sort of thing, but the mayor is making us.”
          The Astoria resident said he was stunned when he heard a siren while going less than 30 mph down the service road of the Grand Central Parkway near 82nd Street on Nov. 20.
          When told of the mayor’s pledge to ease into enforcement and not bombard drivers with tickets, Ioannou said, “Are you kidding me? Everybody up there is here for [a] speeding ticket.
          “They’ve been pulling everybody over since the day [the law] went into effect,” he said. “It’s more than an inconvenience. I have two kids. That money could have went toward diapers.”
          http://nypost.com/2015/03/03/cops-to...-speed-limits/
          “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by option1 View Post
            I had a conversation with someone and we can't agree on what the proper action should be when driving behind a truck or multiple trucks:

            A civilian driver is traveling on a two-lane highway. Speed limit is 55MPH. Driver is now behind two 18-wheeler tractor trailers, both traveling about 50 MPH. Driver signals and moves to the left lane, accelerates to 60MPH, passes both trucks, then moves back to the right lane after clearing both trucks. He gets a speeding ticket in the process.

            Should the driver have waited and just drove behind the trucks to avoid getting the speeding ticket?
            If the speed limit is 55, can you exceed that limit temporarily when in the left lane ("pass lane"?)

            My response was once you exceed the speed limit, no matter what, you're open to getting a ticket.
            Someone else said the pass lane allows you to pass vehicles if you're within 5 miles of the speed limit.
            If you were allowed to go over 55, the sign wouldn't say Speed Limit 55. Your friend's a chode.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

            I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

            Comment


            • #7
              I always lived by the rule of nine you're fine; ten you're mine when working traffic, but as L-1 stated If I am looking for probable cause to stop you then all bets are off. Even at that, it is not worth my time doing anything other than run your license and tell you to watch the lead foot unless there is something else I discover.
              In God We Trust
              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

              Comment


              • #8
                Everyone's policy varies. One major agency in my state says:

                From 1 to 4 MPH above the prima facie speed, the officer may stop and take appropriate enforcement action.

                From 5 to 9 MPH above the prima facie speed limit, the officer should stop and take appropriate enforcement action.

                At 10 miles per hour (MPH) or more above the prima facie speed limit, the officer shall stop and should issue a Notice to Appear.

                Obviously, there's still a lot of discretion left to the officer either way.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                Comment


                • #9
                  You'd better be going about 15-20 over for me to stop you, and have blood dripping from your trunk.
                  Deputy Sheriff's have better things to do...
                  SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!



                  In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tell your friend to look up the definition of "limit"---he'll answer his own question. But on the flip side, 5 over seems a bit CS to me, unless there's an untold story here........

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I just wedge my badge between my cheek and the window and keep speeding...
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Avoid Speeding Tickets?

                        Obey the law!!!! Don't speed.
                        My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          5mph....not unless I am looking for them for something else. Straight out of FSS.

                          For speed exceeding the limit by: Fine:
                          1-5 m.p.h..........Warning

                          6-9 m.p.h..........$25

                          10-14 m.p.h..........$100

                          15-19 m.p.h..........$150

                          20-29 m.p.h..........$175

                          30 m.p.h. and above..........$250

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
                            5mph....not unless I am looking for them for something else. Straight out of FSS.

                            For speed exceeding the limit by: Fine:
                            Wow your tickets are pretty cheap. We have speed cameras that will generate a ticket for 3km/h over (3km/h is always knocked off the reading so you need to be doing something like 66/60$).

                            Here are ours in km/h.
                            Less than 10 over: $195 and 1 demerit point
                            10-24 over: $295 and 3 points
                            25-29 over: $406, 4 points and one month loss of licence
                            30-34 over: $480, 4 points, one month loss of licence
                            35-39 over: $554, 6 points, six month loss of licence
                            40-44 over: $627, 6 points, six month loss of licence
                            45 or more over: $738, 8 points, twelve month loss of licence. The vehicle may also be impounded for a month.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't know what you people don't understand about a speed LIMIT.
                              The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. -Psalm 18:2

                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 7776 users online. 363 members and 7413 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X