Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The difference between Non-Select and Disqualified during a background?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between Non-Select and Disqualified during a background?

What's the difference? Is there a such thing? I heard some around here get letters or emails. What's the deal? I'm from the state of California to be more specific.

One means that you were not selected from the pool of candidates. The other means that you were disqualified because you were either found to have a totally unacceptable trait or you were found to not meet the requirements as described.

You can figure out which is which.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
      One means that you were not selected from the pool of candidates. The other means that you were disqualified because you were either found to have a totally unacceptable trait or you were found to not meet the requirements as described.

You can figure out which is which.
      Can't say it better than that.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you know you have a clean background; drug free, good credit, no arrests, good work history, and still not selected....how does this help when a BI from another agency asks about it and you don't know why? How do you respond to that? Here in California the competition is heavy with a lot of guys with military experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyBrah View Post
          If you know you have a clean background; drug free, good credit, no arrests, good work history, and still not selected....how does this help when a BI from another agency asks about it and you don't know why? How do you respond to that? Here in California the competition is heavy with a lot of guys with military experience.
          You state sir I don't know why I was selected. The other agency I applied with failed to tell me.

Comment

The difference between Non-Select and Disqualified during a background
            Non-select means you weren't hired.

Disqualified usually means you can't be hired.

How do you respond to that?
            Few employers will tell you why you weren't hired in any industry. If you were just non-selected a BI probably won't even ask... he may call the other dept to get the straight word for himself.

Some agencies MAY tell you why you were DQed, but if you have DQ material in your history you already know why.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-25-2015, 04:16 PM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Few employers will tell you why you weren't hired in any industry. If you were just non-selected a BI probably won't even ask... he may call the other dept to get the straight word for himself.

Some agencies MAY tell you why you were DQed, but if you have DQ material in your history you already know why.
              ^^^^^

However if you are DISQUALIFIED.....................99% of the time you will be told you are disqualifed The letter you recieve usually will be somewhat specific in that matter. Usually followed by ---"Don't bother applying here again" As opposed to one inviting you to apply at a later date. (hint---THAT means you were not selected)
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Pretty much that. Non-select means other people were better qualified than you, improve yourself and try again if you like (or hope for easier competition next time). Disqualified means "don't bother us again."
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

And learn to follow directions...

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    And learn to follow directions...
                    ...I know. Forums are new to me.

I have more questions that are probably a new topic. Now should I ask if I should make a new topic or ask away here?

Comment

Did you get the dreaded letter or were you just not reachable on the list?
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Just to follow up

California is kind of funny. Few departments want to come out and actually say you were disqualified. So instead, they send DQs a nicely worded letter saying they decided to go with “other, more qualified candidates.” It's the same thing. You have been DQed.

I suspect they soft pedal it because contrary to popular belief, background DQs can be appealed in civil service agencies. When this happens the agency in question must disclose the derogatory information discovered about the candidate and if necessary at an appeals hearing, call as a witness the person who provided it. Sometimes those persons are friends, relatives and co-workers who were promised anonymity and do not want to testify as to what they said.

Here’s how things are usually categorized.

Didn’t score high enough on the written = Failed the written. This is not a DQ or a dishonorable outcome. Keep applying elsewhere.

Didn’t score high enough on the oral = Failed the oral. This is not a DQ or a dishonorable outcome. Keep applying elsewhere.

Didn’t score high enough on the physical agility = Failed the physical agility. This is not a DQ or a dishonorable outcome. Keep applying elsewhere.

Failed the medical = Technically this is a DQ because you failed to meet the medical qualifications of the agency you applied with. However, most agencies find it acceptable to simply list it as “Failed the medical.” This may or may not be a permanent bar to employment elsewhere depending on your medical condition, whether it is repairable and the medical standards of the agency you are applying with.

Failed the psych = Technically this is a DQ because you failed to meet the psychological qualifications of the agency you applied with. However, most agencies find it acceptable to simply list it as “Failed the psych.” This is not a permanent bar to employment elsewhere because Psychs are a crapshoot. You can fail the psych with Department A on Monday and pass the Psych with Department B on Tuesday. Keep applying elsewhere.

Failed the background = This is a DQ. Whether or not it is a permanent bar to employment with other agencies depends on the circumstances justifying the DQ and employment standards of other departments. Every agency has their own standards and what may pass with one department can be a DQ with another.

On the list but not hired = Just because you passed all the tests with flying colors doesn’t mean you are going to get the job. Successful applicants are placed on the eligible (hiring) list based on the order of their score (highest score first, next highest score second, etc.) They are also hired in that order. Eligible lists only have a certain life. It may be six months, one year, or two years depending on the agency. If the list is good for two years, during which they plan on hiring 40 people and you are number 20 on the list, you have a good shot of getting a job. OTOH, if you are number 80, odds are the list will expire before you are reachable and you will never hear from them again, so you should keep applying elsewhere. To this end it is incumbent upon you to find out what your position is on the list, how long the list is good for and how many people they anticipate hiring during the life of the list. That way you will know whether to keep applying with other agencies. In any case, your response her is simply that you are on the list and waiting for them to reach you. That is an honorable outcome and there is nothing wrong with that.

Rule of Three = Earlier I indicated applicants are hired in the order of their score (highest first, next highest second, etc.) There is an exception to that. Most California agencies operate under what’s called the Rule of Three. It allows them to fill a vacancy taking anyone from the top three scores on the eligible list. This allows them to bypass up to two applicants for a candidate they particularly want. It also allows them to bypass up to two candidates they don’t want without having to state a reason. The prolonged bypassing of someone because they don’t want them is rare, but is has happened. (I’ve only seen it threatened once in my 33 years on the job.) If it does, it’s likely you will never know. Your name will be on the list but you simply never get a call. Again if asked, all you know is you are on the list and waiting for a call, which is an honorable outcome.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                          Did you get the dreaded letter or were you just not reachable on the list?
                          After passing all tests, I go into the background portion. I got a few letters that stated I was non selected and to reapply again if interested. This has happened two times. I have good credit, no arrests, last traffic ticket I got was 5 years ago, and never used drugs.

I appreciate the responses I'm getting. What's the average length of when you turn in the background packet and get results?

Comment

I appreciate the responses I'm getting. What's the average length of when you turn in the background packet and get results?
                            Really no average.

Each agency does the background process differently. SOME have full time investigators doing nothing but BI's-----------others have a detective or supervisor doing the investigations as an added duty when time allows.

Comment

I'm concern about the Psych test because I spoke to a few officers when I went on ride alongs and they mention that their friends have failed the test and they were positive sane people. Is the test really that difficult?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5129 users online. 326 members and 4803 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X