300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Insight

Eight years ago (I was 23) I was hired as a police officer in a Metro-Detroit city. Approximately six months on the job, during the last FTO phase, I decided to resign. Ultimately, I lacked the maturity at the time and allowed myself to leave LE and join my family's business.

Between that time and now, we've sold the business and I've worked three "student" type jobs while attending university. I'm about to graduate with a bachelor's degree and have also been accepted into a masters program beginning next Fall. In the past couple of years I have found that I want to return to law enforcement and being near graduation, now would be the best time to begin the process.

That said, I am aware of the challenges I'd face as an applicant. Leaving during FTO looks bad (I was performing well enough, but I understand what inferences, true or false, can be drawn), and working several jobs thereafter isn't exactly inspiring to a prospective department. Other applicants, especially in MI where options are few, will not have those same issues, and so based on that I feel that the odds are remote of being picked up. Moving out of state is also not a realistic option, unfortunately.

It is my thinking that Detroit PD would be my only realistic option at this point, but am weary of it for all the obvious reasons. I have a buddy there, and so I get some insight into the department. I'll be doing a ride along soon to get more firsthand experience of what their day is like as well.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on my challenges being hired at face value, as well as any thoughts on DPD.

I apologize for the biography and appreciate the time.

Be safe,

- Drew

The successful completion of the FTO phase of training is a condition of continued employment with just about any agency which uses an FTO program. You are correct in assuming that your resignation will be looked at critically.

I'm not prepared to say that you're doomed for all time, but I honestly believe that you're looking at an uphill fight. Additionally, I would guess that your Michigan certification has lapsed, and that you'd be required to attend a complete academy and an FTO program at the end of that.

The only practical advice I can give you is that you look around. Determine if any agencies are hiring, and if you meet the basic requirements for employment. As a practical matter, you'll need to exceed any "minimum" requirements, and test extremely well in all phases of a given hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      The successful completion of the FTO phase of training is a condition of continued employment with just about any agency which uses an FTO program. You are correct in assuming that your resignation will be looked at critically.

I'm not prepared to say that you're doomed for all time, but I honestly believe that you're looking at an uphill fight. Additionally, I would guess that your Michigan certification has lapsed, and that you'd be required to attend a complete academy and an FTO program at the end of that.

The only practical advice I can give you is that you look around. Determine if any agencies are hiring, and if you meet the basic requirements for employment. As a practical matter, you'll need to exceed any "minimum" requirements, and test extremely well in all phases of a given hiring process.
      I agree 100%
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you for the honest and thought out response - it's very much appreciated.

(I just noticed the subcategory that this post actually belongs in. My apologies)
        Last edited by Hockey28; 02-05-2015, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post

What he said. Good luck OP. Make sure you absolutely want it this time before applying again.

Comment

Eh, I am not as worried about it as others might be. It is easy enough to say that you were not mature enough at the time and now you have settled down and are ready. The schooling doesn't hurt but, a career and a masters at the same time might be a bit much. Become a cop and then go for your masters or get your masters and then try to become a police officer.

Some people will give you grief about leaving during FTO but, it doesn't give me heart burn. I am sure a good HR person will see it your way if you give a good explanation.
            Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

We would talk to your FTOs to see if they remembered you and how you were doing in training. If your story is legit, it is not insurmountable to get back in, but as noted, I think it will put you at a disadvantage with a number of agencies.

Comment

I'm a noob officer and have no experience with hiring but being able to admit you weren't ready once in FTO should have been a difficult decision and appreciated in some way. Obtaining a degree shows you know how to be committed to something and in today's job market a college degree is all but necessary. I agree that you should pursue some PD applications before committing to a masters program otherwise those hiring will fear you'll easily escape again with a new excuse.

Comment

Ive known a few who stopped during FTO,It also depends on how you left and what you said the reasons were.

Comment

Any agency considering you as a police officer will have some questions about why you left, that is a given. I do not see the road as being insurmountable, but it will be an uphill journey. It is not easy to get hired in this profession, to do so a second time after resigning during FTO is going to be difficult so be prepared for what you will be facing.
                    In God We Trust
                    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Thank you again for the responses -I'll definitely take your advice and opinions under real consideration.

I should mention that I plan on postponing my masters if I am hired, I'm in agreement there.

Comment

I had a similar situation but I didn't leave for maturity reasons but rather a better opportunity. i got on with my state's State Troopers (highway Patrol) as a dispatcher. In January I interviewed with them and got the offer, by July I had finally finished my background investigation and got on with them. That September I had gotten an offer for a job I previously applied for (my current job) and took that. I was only about a week away from finishing my probation period with them, and felt awful for doing it, but sometimes you have to think about what's best for you and if you didn't feel it was the right time, then it wasn't the right time.

I.G.

Comment

Be prepared to explain EXACTLY why you are different today than you were 8 years ago, being specific and with examples.

My colleagues have given good answers. It seems like you have a realistic and healthy attitude about it, so give yourself the best chance you have and really think about how you're going to answer those questions.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

All this doesn't strike me as unusual at all. As other have said, just be prepared to explain the separation. However if it were me, knowing what I know now, I'd go Federal, specifically, USMS. I had the privilege to fly "Con Air" with them as a civilian employee/contract worker & heard some of the stories what that agency does. FAAAAAR more interesting & varied than any city PD if you ask me....

Comment

I separated from my first agency after 4 months in the academy.... it wasn't easy and I had lots of 'splaining to do, but I got a 2nd chance at a different agency (same state). It happens. I was 21 my first time and I got cold feet, culture shock, whatever,I resigned. I kicked myself for a few years after. When I was 24 I reapplied.
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6047 users online. 362 members and 5685 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X