300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Recruitment Expedited Process

Anyone know of this process? I am currently in the federal government and working for homeland security and wanting to switch over to NYPD, however I don't have the time to keep flying back and forth. I "heard" they have a expedited process to knock out everything there, however I am not finding anything on it anywhere. Can anyone reply with a link or some official information on it please, would really appreciate it.

Originally posted by travisr001 View Post
    Anyone know of this process? I am currently in the federal government and working for homeland security and wanting to switch over to NYPD, however I don't have the time to keep flying back and forth. I "heard" they have a expedited process to knock out everything there, however I am not finding anything on it anywhere. Can anyone reply with a link or some official information on it please, would really appreciate it.
    Sounds like you mean TSA Anyhow, I think you may be out of luck. It used to be called "QUEST" and it would be almost every step in the process over the course of a week or so, but over the last few years they have had little incentive to run such a program as they have way more applicants than they will ever need to fill spots. I don't think it exists anymore. As it stands, the wait from exam to start of process is roughly 2-3 years. If you're already in-process, I would reach out to Candidate Relations and see what they can do, but my guess is not much. If you haven't even got that far yet (i.e. just took or haven't yet taken exam) I would just forget about it until they contact you to begin the process, as there isn't anything you or even they can do at this point in time.
    sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
    DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Customs and Border Patrol currently. the process is still 2-3 years? So would mean several trips back and forth to facilitate this. Considering size their academy can hold you would think it would be a bit faster.

Comment

Customs and Border Patrol currently. the process is still 2-3 years? So would mean several trips back and forth to facilitate this. Considering size their academy can hold you would think it would be a bit faster.
        Well, the size of the academy (even the significantly larger new one) has zero to do with processing. We're hiring solely for attrition unless the city authorizes an increase in the overall headcount, and the amount of candidates far outweighs the academy slots. Even with a class of 900+ every January & July, that translates to 2-3 years currently. There is/was talk about adding 1,000 cops to the payroll, but even that would be no more than a dent in the process wait-time. It would likely only effect the first few classes slated to go in after that approval (hypothetically, since the cost of such approval has been a touchy subject in city politics, and may not even happen at all.)

As long as the headcount and amount of candidates remains the same, that time frame is unlikely to go down. On top of that, civil service law reigns supreme in NYC. This means your exam will be reached, quite simply, when they get to it. That is dictated by current pace at which they clear out those before you, which goes back to my earlier mention of processing time from date of exam. To be fair, it's one vicious cycle you have little power over.
        sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Customs and Border Patrol
          Under U.S. Homeland Security there is Customs and Border Protection and Border Patrol - separate agencies. Which one do you work for?

I'm still pretty much in touch with those in the know at NYPD and there's no talk of an expedited process. They have thousands of applicants and frankly could care less who has to travel from where. But then again, when I went to work for the govt, they didn't care either.
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
            They have thousands of applicants and frankly could care less who has to travel from where. But then again, when I went to work for the govt, they didn't care either.
            That is pretty much universal.

There are a few agencies that allow expedited processes, but even the agencies that do , could really care less if the process is used and most don't go out of their way to accommodate individuals
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The only departments that I knew of that ever did that were desperate for new hires, and were canvassing for out of states applicants; like Dallas area police departments in the '80's. NYPD has no need to do that as they have an endless flow of applicants.

Comment

I suggest you take a look at the New York section under the states. Count the number of exams that have current threads. Eaxh exam list has thousands of candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                  I suggest you take a look at the New York section under the states. Count the number of exams that have current threads. Eaxh exam list has thousands of candidates.
                  NYPD alone has tens of thousands of candidates.

Comment

Did mean to limit my comment to the number of active NYPD exam lists.

Comment

My bad.

Point also is that tons of folks are clawing at any NY job law enforcement related; School Safety, Campus Security, etc.

Comment

The NYpD Quest program has been terminated. Thus it requires multiple dates to process.

But you have a bigger problem even if you fly in. The NYPD does not mark any file as "complete" and ready to hire unless everything is done, INCLUDING THE FACT you must reside in NYC or the authorized surrounding counties. You live here and get marked qualified and go in the hire pile and then eventually get a call to show up one to seven days out. NOBODY lives outside the area and gets an offer. Not how it works at all. So if flights are an issue now, and you have no plans to move, you are wasting your time, as you will never be hired.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
                          Candidate Relations
                          OMG...is there really such a unit? That is funny stuff.... What happened to Applicant Investigations?
                          September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyd6 View Post
                            The NYpD Quest program has been terminated. Thus it requires multiple dates to process.

But you have a bigger problem even if you fly in. The NYPD does not mark any file as "complete" and ready to hire unless everything is done, INCLUDING THE FACT you must reside in NYC or the authorized surrounding counties. You live here and get marked qualified and go in the hire pile and then eventually get a call to show up one to seven days out. NOBODY lives outside the area and gets an offer. Not how it works at all. So if flights are an issue now, and you have no plans to move, you are wasting your time, as you will never be hired.
                            This is inaccurate as of quite recently. I know plenty of people have gotten the call from all across the country, and those people are called first (outside the tri-state area, that is). I believe they now provide 30 days to establish residency from the date of hire.

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
                            OMG...is there really such a unit? That is funny stuff.... What happened to Applicant Investigations?
                            Applicant Processing Division still exists. Candidate Relations is a unit which falls under it, and they handle a lot of the administrative questions. They've been around since at least 2008
                            sigpic

DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6131 users online. 371 members and 5760 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X