Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying on the right track

Hello o.com,

I know most of the active LEOs on this forum answer questions concerning LE employment, suitability for hire and background, so I thank all of you for taking the time to respond to these questions because most of what you guys write benefits me and is taken into consideration. Before going raising my questions and concerns, I'd like to take the time and thank specific active members on this forums (names that came on top of my head): PhillipCal, Iowa, Shush, tanksoldier, KB8315, ArmyVet, Aerohead, CCCSD, CruiserClass, L-1, GoldBadge, jdthor, Country Jim, slamdunc, Lady Blue, Smallcitycop, Langford, and LawyerCop. I want to express how grateful I am for serving and protecting us (to active and retired LEOs) and I want to say that all of your replies are words of wisdom and your words of advice are golden. I've been on this forum roughly for 2 years now, and all I've gotten from you guys is valuable information and advice from experienced, brave and honorable individuals.

A little background about myself: I'm 19 years old and I'm currently a student at a university in Texas. I'm a dual citizen (I possess a US citizenship) and I'm highly interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement. I was born on US soil and was raised as a kid here in the U.S before traveling back to Saudi Arabia along with my parents. I lived in Saudi for over 11 years and I studied there until I graduated from High School, and here I am in Texas, studying for my degree in Business, Accounting. I'm proficient in Arabic; and I well know most Arabic dialects.
    I will always strive to better myself as an individual, and keep learning; I try to maintain high grades, refrain from being around troubling individuals, and always keep my nose clean. Thinking of being a law enforcement officer has always been in my thought ever since I was a little kid, and my perception as a child was if I kept getting high grades, been respectful to everyone and not get into ANY sort of trouble will help me achieve my goal. I've never got into any disputes with anyone, never had negative encounters with law enforcement officers, never got pulled over, never associated with bad individuals, never got around drugs, and I never smoked or consumed alcohol (and never will).

I joined this website when I was 17 years, I was still living in Saudi Arabia and I gained a lot of knowledge from reading information off this forum, frequently using the search function to find answers to complex questions, and this opened my mind and changed my perception of how policing is. To be honest, I still do not know what policing really is since I'm not a law enforcement officer, therefore I'm ignorant in this matter, but reading things, and watching things made me realize how stressful this job can be, how it can take a toll on you and your family too. Being on constant alert, aware of your surroundings, and vigillant is essential. It's definitely not what we see on TV as well. What fascinates me is the brotherhood in LE, and how LEOs look out for each other, is a really powerful thing.
    When I arrived to Texas, I wanted to get a taste of what LE is like, so I went on a ride-along with a great officer. It was morning shift, it was slow but despite that, it was what I expected it to be, a lot of paperwork, patrolling your beat, responding to calls, including false alarms etc... it motivated me even more to get into this field.

My main concerns, things I'm not proud of and resulted of poor judgment on my behalf:

I'm not perfect and I never will be. I made mistakes, and I made decisions out of bad and poor judgement, which I 100% take responsibilityfor. I'm accountable for all of my actions no matter how severe or minor they are, because as human beings, we should never blame others for our faults and bad decisions, I only blame myself for the bad decisions I've done in my life.

My first worse decision I have ever done in my entire life is when I was 8 or 9 years old. I was in a small city in Saudi Arabia, and my mother and I went into a store. I wandered off by myself and went to the toys section. What caught my attention is a small box on display that has police equipment toys in it. If I recall correctly, it had a gun, baton, badge and handcuffs. As a child, I've always been into the "police officer" roleplay mode when I play with my brothers or friends, and I already had the gun and the other stuff except for the police badge. I gazed up at the police set and wanted to purchase it, but thinking about it made me hesitate because my mother wouldn't buy me any more toys because I already had enough of them. I looked around if the badge was sold separately but it wasn't. So I thought in my mind that I could just snatch the police set, open it and only take the badge and leave the rest of the stuff there (this is wrong and unacceptable). I thought nobody would be interested in the badge so I took it, and left the gun, baton and all the other stuff behind. I exited the store with the badge and nobody noticed. However, as a result of my poor, inexcusable action, I started to blame myself, and couldn't believe that I stole something, it made me feel guilty, and made me feel like a bad person, and it tore me apart from the inside, so I confronted my mother about it and explained the situation to her. I've never stole anything in my life before, and that was the first and the last. I still remember every detail of this incident as it stuck in my mind over the years, and I'm angry with myself about it. And if I could go back in time, I wouldn't go near it, but it is what it is. I've stolen an item, it's wrong and I'm 100% guilty. There's no sugarcoating it, and it's inexcusable. I still blame myself for it, and I regret it because integrity is everything in the law enforcement field.

My second concern, which is recent is downloading music and movies off the internet. My last download was in Saudi Arabia, I was either 17 or 18 but I downloaded stuff from the internet because most of these items aren't available where I live at, so I access it through the internet. I never knew it was illegal until a year ago, and when I figured it was, I deleted every single content that I had downloaded illegally over the internet and never downloaded anything ever since. It's wrong, I'm guilty of downloading stuff without paying from the internet. Even if I had no knowledge that it was illegal in the first place, I still blame myself for it, and I'm 100% guilty.

Other than those two, I've never committed anything illegal in my life. Never got pulled over, never showed any signs of disregard or disrespect to the law and followed it all the time. And I want to note out that before I came to the U.S. (in 2014) I compiled a three to four pages list of my contacts in Saudi Arabia, all names of my neighbors when I was living in Saudi Arabia with my family since I was a little kid. I tried to ask my dad about his prior residences when I was in elementary school as well, and I made a list so in the future I can provide it during the background investigation phase.
    My current plan right now is to pursue a bachelors degree in Accounting, and I'm anticipating to graduate in 2018. After graduating, I'm determined to pursue my masters degree anticipating to graduate in 2019 or 2020, then apply for the police departments that I'm currently considering. I'll be 24 years of age by then, I will keep my nose clean, keep getting A's and my head up. By the time I decide to apply, I will have put more than 10 years between my first incident (stealing) and a few years between my second incident.
    I know that I'm not guaranteed a position in law enforcement, and there's also a possibility of being injured on the job, that's why I pursued a degree in Business to have other open options. I know this job requires a special person, I've always been curious to know more about myself, I took this personality test and my personality was ISTJ (Introvert, Sensing, Thinking, Judging) and some of the career paths listed for my personality was indeed law enforcement, military, law, and Accountancy.
    I want to note out, that I realize that being on this job will get you on the media's radar, and I know that LEOs are scrutinized and judged by the public, media, and even by our leaders. I feel the tension and hatred towards brave law enforcement officers, wanting to murder LEOs and bash them. However, despite these extremely desparate times, it will NEVER make me question if being a police officer is for me. I believe that we must not give up, and we should stick to the very end no matter how bad it looks like. But I know even in calmer times, police officers are still at danger and at risk, and yes lives are lost. But fighting for the better good and good cause it essential in my eyes, and it will never change my attitude, perception, or views.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm grateful for what you guys do, and serving alongside with you guys and serving the community and nation as a whole is the most honorable thing. I highly respect all LEOs, and to me, all of you are like part of my own family.
    I want to say that I asked a question before, entitled "Is this a concern to me?" and I received great responses, especially from Iowa - thank you very much for your advice and guidance through my concerns, I appreciate it.
    I will heed the advice and sayings as PhillipCal always says "read, re-read and once more read all the replies" I will read all replies, and all I want is honest replies no matter how harsh it is. I will greatly appreciate any feedback, I will as mentioned, read it and take it into serious and deep consideration.

Thank you very much, god bless you all and be safe out there.
    Last edited by Talal; 02-03-2015, 01:21 AM. Reason: Typos

Neither of your "incidents" are troubling..................

#1 The "stealing" : Your age...................

#2 "Downloading" : Again your age and your location

Finishing your degrees and your time line will wash anything you might THINK are going to be troubling to you.

Keep your nose clean and you will be ok--------------- your language skills would most likely make you a good candidate for a federal investigator job
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Neither of your "incidents" are troubling..................

#1 The "stealing" : Your age...................

#2 "Downloading" : Again your age and your location

Finishing your degrees and your time line will wash anything you might THINK are going to be troubling to you.

Keep your nose clean and you will be ok--------------- your language skills would most likely make you a good candidate for a federal investigator job
      Thank you Iowa once again for your informative response. I will definitely keep my nose clean, I will also try to learn a third language in the interim while in university. I will keep my options open, including to federal job openings, however, I'm more leaned towards being employed as a peace officer to gain experience on the street, and experience dealing with people etc...

I'm grateful for your response sir, thank you for your service.

Comment

+1 with what Iowa said. You're a good candidate.
        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
          +1 with what Iowa said. You're a good candidate.
          Thank you for your response and input ma'am.

And most importantly, thank you for your service!

Comment

For the effort you put into that post, it's much better than the usual one liner "I beat my pregnant gf with a hammer. Can I still be a cop?!?". and speaks volume about your motivation. Your "incidents" (I use quotes because you could barely even call them that) are nothing to worry about! You ARE on the right track and miles, miles, miles ahead of most candidates 10 years your senior. You'll be fine. And I'd wager most cops born in the internet age download from the net non-stop, and the fact that you are concerned about this says a lot about your integrity. And on a total side note, the NYPD would salivate over your Arabic dialects. There's a few of them we've yet to cover with sworn translators.

Good luck! You got this.

_DF
            sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
            DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Don't worry about it. I assume you are bilingual, correct? A college degree and the ability to speak Arabic will open a lot of door for you. The military and various government agencies would also be interested in you.
              Last edited by just joe; 02-03-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
                For the effort you put into that post, it's much better than the usual one liner "I beat my pregnant gf with a hammer. Can I still be a cop?!?". and speaks volume about your motivation. Your "incidents" (I use quotes because you could barely even call them that) are nothing to worry about! You ARE on the right track and miles, miles, miles ahead of most candidates 10 years your senior. You'll be fine. And I'd wager most cops born in the internet age download from the net non-stop, and the fact that you are concerned about this says a lot about your integrity. And on a total side note, the NYPD would salivate over your Arabic dialects. There's a few of them we've yet to cover with sworn translators.

Good luck! You got this.

_DF
                I sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart for your motivating words, I really appreciate your feedback and your words of wisdom and experiences. I'm grateful for your input concerning the two incidents I have just listed. I will definitely keep my options open sir, and I will try my hardest to achieve my goals.

Thank you for your service sir, and god bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  Don't worry about it. I assume you are bilingual, correct? A college degree and the ability to speak Arabic will open a lot of door for you. The military and various government agencies would also be interested in you.
                  Yes sir I am bilingual. I thank you for your response and input regarding this matter, and I will also try to learn some Spanish as well since it interests me to learn more about it. I'm grateful for your response sir.

Thank you for you serving and protecting us sir, I appreciate what you and all other LEOs do. Godspeed.

Comment

Wow - I got a mention right next to Iowa and PhilipCal. I can't imagine what I possibly could have said that would cause me to stick in your mind along side them, but I've copied and pasted that into my resume for future use. I feel almost like I don't have to sit at the kids table any more!

And yeah, Iowa nailed it. If you go to a background investigator and say that your 2 big sins are stealing a plastic badge when you were 9, and downloading some music when you were a teen --- the biggest thing you will face is them wondering what you are hiding, because that is pretty clean.

I think your plan for an accounting degree is awesome. Too many times people think you have to have a criminal justice degree. Having a degree helps in law enforcement, but more than that - it helps YOU diversify your skill sets and creates a "back up plan" should LE not work out for you. That's always a concern. Life is unpredictable.

Good luck!

Comment

Tabal-
                      From what you state in your very well written post, I would say, in a nutshell, that you are a squared-away individual.
                      Your bilingualism, especially Arabic languages, would put you in the catbird seat with NYPD, as stated. The Feds, too- but I think you seem to have the heart of a beat officer.
                      Follow your dream- maybe get some street time; those other options will still be available to you later.
                      And best of luck!
                      It is nice to hear from a potential officer in this forum section who is not a complete idiot/ scew up.
                      SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                        Wow - I got a mention right next to Iowa and PhilipCal. I can't imagine what I possibly could have said that would cause me to stick in your mind along side them, but I've copied and pasted that into my resume for future use. I feel almost like I don't have to sit at the kids table any more!

And yeah, Iowa nailed it. If you go to a background investigator and say that your 2 big sins are stealing a plastic badge when you were 9, and downloading some music when you were a teen --- the biggest thing you will face is them wondering what you are hiding, because that is pretty clean.

I think your plan for an accounting degree is awesome. Too many times people think you have to have a criminal justice degree. Having a degree helps in law enforcement, but more than that - it helps YOU diversify your skill sets and creates a "back up plan" should LE not work out for you. That's always a concern. Life is unpredictable.

Good luck!
                        Thank you sir for your honest and informative response. To me, you, PhillipCal, Iowa, and all other LEOs are heroes in my mind, and all of you are incredible and great individuals who I feel honored by speaking to right now. What will honor me the most is one day come on this forum and call you brothers, because the bond LEOs have in my eyes is powerful and I can't imagine seeing that anywhere else.

You're right, Iowa, and all other replies from LEOs are 100% correct, and I will disclose every single thing to my BI. I will never omit anything, lie or anything of that sort. If I made any bad decisions or mistakes, I will take responsibility for them as a man, no matter what age I was at and how minor or severe the incident is. I always say that the law is the law, and a rule is a rule no exception. I'm not special and if I committed anything that is wrongful or illegal, I must accept the consequences and punishments that resulted from my bad behavior. If anyone lie to a background investigator for example, then in judgement day, how could they lie to god? I will always be honest no matter how hard it is to tell the truth. (Sorry for getting carried away).

And thank you for complimenting my plan for pursuing a degree in Accounting. And yes you're right, I must have a back up plan because as you said which is %100000 true: Life is unpredictable.

Shush, I want to sincerely thank you for your words of wisdom and understanding of my situation. Thank you very much sir for your service, god bless you.
                        Last edited by Talal; 02-03-2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
                          Tabal-
                          From what you state in your very well written post, I would say, in a nutshell, that you are a squared-away individual.
                          Your bilingualism, especially Arabic languages, would put you in the catbird seat with NYPD, as stated. The Feds, too- but I think you seem to have the heart of a beat officer.
                          Follow your dream- maybe get some street time; those other options will still be available to you later.
                          And best of luck!
                          It is nice to hear from a potential officer in this forum section who is not a complete idiot/ scew up.
                          Thank you for your input sir. I'm truly overwhelmed with motivating words, and thank you for your kind words and positive feedback.
                          I will pursue my dream, and I will always keep myself motivated to achieve my goals. And sir, I will definitely be open to other options, but as you said which is %100 true, my heart is leaning towards being a police officer, I want to physically make a difference if I could in anyone's life, and be there to preserve peace, law and order.

Thank you once again sir for your genuine response, and thank you for your service sir.

And to all LEOs out there, all I ever want is you guys to be safe out there, and wish you the best in your lives.

Comment

Rather than write a lengthy reply to your concerns, I refer you to the comments of my colleagues. Keep up the good work, stay focused, and the very best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                              Rather than write a lengthy reply to your concerns, I refer you to the comments of my colleagues. Keep up the good work, stay focused, and the very best of luck.
                              Yes sir! I will read them over and over again, and will take their great responses to heart. I appreciate your input PhillipCal, and I appreciate your encouraging words and words of wisdom.

Thank you sir, I will stay focused, keep my head up and try my hardest. Thank you and thank you for your service to this country sir. Godspeed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4405 users online. 280 members and 4125 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X