300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lied on a previous application, Background Check

So pretty much, when I applied for a minimum wage civilian student job with my university's police department, I lied on the questionaire regarding past drug use. I didn't think much of it, and in hindsight seeing as how I've only smoked 3 times and haven't in the past 4 years it probably wouldn't have stopped me from landing the job, but I needed the money and it was one of the few jobs that worked with my schedule. So I'm currently in process for a sponsorship through the academy with the local pd and my BI discovers this discrepancy (I was completely honest on this application though) and asks me if I can explain it. And really I couldn't. It was a dumb mistake. Am I screwed with not only this background but future ones as well? I have excellent references from current law enforcement, federal LE internship experience, AA degree, soon to have BS degree, and I think* I did well on my oral board (but who knows haha).

So, what is it you want us to tell you? It's really amazing to me, at least, that you'd lie, even when your past drug use was within the agency's tolerance/experimentation policy.? Think about that for a while.

Here's your problem, and believe me, it will be a problem for the foreseeable future, you lied on an application. You're not going to find a department which doesn't take that act very seriously. Are you doomed for all time? Possibly not, but your failure to tell the truth will continue to be a large obstacle to your entering this profession for a very long time.

Comment

So you're telling me due to one dumb mistake at 19 that I might have to wait to start my career until I'm 30? Live and learn I guess, but I'll continue to apply and just hope your wrong, no offense of course.

Comment

Originally posted by NoFlo Boy View Post
        So you're telling me due to one dumb mistake at 19 that I might have to wait to start my career until I'm 30? Live and learn I guess, but I'll continue to apply and just hope your wrong, no offense of course.

No offense taken, but yeah, that's what I'm telling ya. Use your imagination for a minute. You're the guy hiring for a police dept. You have a couple of really slick, well qualified applicants, folks who don't bring your issues to the table. Then, you have a guy who purposely lied on his application. You think, "Hell, he'll probably lie about other things too". Now, ask yourself honestly, who are YOU going to hire?

Comment

I understand. It's just that I've worked so hard to get to where I am right now, I go to a great college, I'm almost 2 years ahead of people my age in terms of credits, and I have a solid work history and references, and I know if this is the only thing keeping me from getting hired, I'm gonna be kicking myself for a long time. I know it may not appear this way to you given my situation, but I'm really not a bad person, and I would make a great LEO. But I guess you're not the one I need to convince of that haha.

Comment

I understand. It's just that I've worked so hard to get to where I am right now, I go to a great college, I'm almost 2 years ahead of people my age in terms of credits, and I have a solid work history and references, and I know if this is the only thing keeping me from getting hired, I'm gonna be kicking myself for a long time. I know it may not appear this way to you given my situation, but I'm really not a bad person, and I would make a great LEO. But I guess you're not the one I need to convince of that haha.

You're right< I'm not. But, I'm fairly typical of the guy you'll have to convince that you're a hire able applicant. Currently, despite your good work, and the fact that you're probably a pretty decent guy, you have a problem. You're going to have an uphill, a very uphill battle, to change and correct that perception.

What can you do? Continue to excel in college. Make every attempt to build a solid record of work and good citizenship. This is going to take several years. Accomplish this, and you might have a chance.

Comment

So pretty much, when I applied for a minimum wage civilian student job with my university's police department, I lied on the questionaire regarding past drug use. I didn't think much of it, and in hindsight seeing as how I've only smoked 3 times and haven't in the past 4 years it probably wouldn't have stopped me from landing the job, but I needed the money and it was one of the few jobs that worked with my schedule. So I'm currently in process for a sponsorship through the academy with the local pd and my BI discovers this discrepancy (I was completely honest on this application though) and asks me if I can explain it. And really I couldn't. It was a dumb mistake. Am I screwed with not only this background but future ones as well? I have excellent references from current law enforcement, federal LE internship experience, AA degree, soon to have BS degree, and I think* I did well on my oral board (but who knows haha).

So........................you lied on an application for a position of trust. (even civilian positions in a law enforcement agency carry a sense of trust/responsibility). Now you are looking at a position of GREATER trust in a sworn position. BUT this time you didn't lie on the application. AND your Background Investigator found your prior lie.

Just tell me WHY I should ever believe you on something important again?

What is more important is just WHY should a jury believe your testimony after you lied on some menial application ---and lied on a question that probably wouldn't have kept you from that job to begin with.?

And YES the jury would find out about that because of Brady V Maryland. Since the BI knows about this lie , it HAS to become a part of your personnel package AND a part of your testimony background. In other words under Brady, the prosecutor is REQUIRED to disclose your lying on the prior application to any defense attorney in a case you are going to testify in.

Yea, that "little mistake" is going to bite you for the rest of your life in relation to law enforcement
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you don't want the advice, why do you ask?

But I guess you're not the one I need to convince of that haha.
                You need to convince somebody EXACTLY like him.

Think about it. NOBODY here has told you that it's no big deal. Nobody.

Yet you think the hiring authority, whoever it is, will be different than all of ^^^these folks?^^^

Yea, that "little mistake" is going to bite you for the rest of your life in relation to law enforcement
                This. You'll NEVER be able to take the stand without this coming up. NEVER EVER.

EVERY TIME you'll be asked about it, then asked if you're lying now.

Every. Time.
                Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-29-2015, 06:43 PM.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

You didn't make a mistake, you used poor judgment and intentionally lied (there is a difference). Our profession is about credibility, that error in judgment cost you your credibility. I don't doubt that you are a great guy and an honest individual. However once the prosecution informs the defense that you are a documented liar, the jury/judge will probably doubt your testimony.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

I make dumb mistakes all the time, such as:

- leaving the milk out on the counter from the night before instead of putting it right back in the fridge. Now it's bad. Dumb mistake.
                    - forgetting my car keys in the Court firearms lock box when I leave to go back to my vehicle parked a half mile down - only to discover that the only reason I put my keys in the lockbox is so that if I forget my gun in the lockbox while going to my car, I wouldn't have anywhere to drive and realize what I had forgotten. But in this case, I definitely got my gun from the lock box, but ...the keys still remained there. Doh! Dumb mistake.
                    - Choosing a certain calendar date for an "all day" training session - only to find out that there was an important assembly for your kid at school - REALLY DUMB MISTAKE.

Your interpretation of "dumb mistake" and mine greatly differ. You might want to check your statement, compare yours as to why and maybe you'll see what everyone here is trying to tell you.
                    Last edited by MCAPO; 01-29-2015, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Your testimony will often make or break a case. People will lose their freedom based upon your word. You may take someone's life and have to give a justification for it.

How important do you think a history of integrity is in that light?
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

He doesn't. ANOTHER product of the "I'm a Winner" generation...
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

So you're telling me due to one dumb mistake............
                          And therein lies the problem. You didn't make a mistake. Yours was a conscious, intentional and deliberate act. You lied. And now by calling it "a mistake" you are lying about lying. Your attempt to minimize you conduct and call it anything other than what it was does not bode well for you.

You are going to have to man up and take responsibility for what you did if you are to regain any credibility in the eyes of a prospective law enforcement agency.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I am aware that I consciously made that decision. I'm calling it a mistake in terms of I made the wrong decision and I regret it but there's nothing I can do to change the past. I plan to disclose this to future BI's. This may be a hell of an obstacle to overcome but I'm gonna keep trying anyways.

Comment

That's all you can do. You have shot yourself in the foot and yes you may have to wait till you are 30 or older to prove it was a "dumb" mistake. A person with integrity doesn't lie on an application no matter how much they need the money, job, etc. They own up to their mistakes and are willing to take what comes with it.

The truth is often times hard to swallow but it is what it is. This generation coming of age often thinks "innocent" and "juvenile" mistakes can't and won't effect them later in life but they have a surprise coming.

I'm only 32 and I've done things I regret but never lied, stolen, or done illegal things to get ahead or hide my actions. The sooner you can accept the same thing, the faster you might be able to overcome your "mistake".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5318 users online. 325 members and 4993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X