300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve my chances?

So I am currently 19 working a full time job as well as a second part time job saving money to go back to college. I'm going after a bachelors in business and I want to end up working with the local PD or something. Really whatever will give me a job. Back as a junior in high school my dad got really sick and passed and I made a string of questionable(pretty bad) decisions.

I experimented with marijuana 4 or 5 times and got a warning for underage drinking/trespassing. I also got a couple speeding tickets as well as a reckless driving ticket that ended up getting dropped. In this time, I also drove drunk a few times, less than 5. This all happened between my junior year in high school and freshman year in college.

After my freshman year in college, I went to Basic training and am now in the Army Reserves and all I want to do is become a Police Officer. My question is as long as I keep my nose out of trouble and stay away from those activities, will that hurt my chances of being in Law enforcement in my late 20's? I want to finish college and do some traveling before I start my career. Let me hear it, I have thick skin haha.

Originally posted by cmull43 View Post
    So I am currently 19 working a full time job as well as a second part time job saving money to go back to college. I'm going after a bachelors in business and I want to end up working with the local PD or something. Really whatever will give me a job. Back as a junior in high school my dad got really sick and passed and I made a string of questionable(pretty bad) decisions.

I experimented with marijuana 4 or 5 times and got a warning for underage drinking/trespassing. I also got a couple speeding tickets as well as a reckless driving ticket that ended up getting dropped. In this time, I also drove drunk a few times, less than 5. This all happened between my junior year in high school and freshman year in college.

After my freshman year in college, I went to Basic training and am now in the Army Reserves and all I want to do is become a Police Officer. My question is as long as I keep my nose out of trouble and stay away from those activities, will that hurt my chances of being in Law enforcement in my late 20's? I want to finish college and do some traveling before I start my career. Let me hear it, I have thick skin haha.

Know what? It sort of sounds like you're attributing your poor choices to your Dad's passing. Possibly you didn't intend it to sound that way, but that's how it came across to me. We all, you and ,I own our own mistakes. Period. Now, let's look at the mistakes. The use of
    marijuana 4-5 times is within the tolerance/experimentation policy(s) of most agencies.

Your overall Motor Vehicle History isn't good, and would result in a DQ or Non-Select with many agencies. Should you enter a hiring process, you'll be asked if you've ever committed a crime/offense/violation for which you were neither arrested or prosecuted. That's when you'll note the times you drove drunk or impaired.

Additionally, and returning to your driving history, you'll be required to list each and every time you were arrested/cited for any violation or offense. You'll need to list any citations, including dates/times/charges and disposition. This includes charges which were reduced, njol prossed, or dismissed.

Your ally here will be time. Realistically, you're looking at three to five years between your most recent arrest/citation, and your application. Do the very best job possible in your Reserve duties, and in any work or academic endeavors. You may have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      Know what? It sort of sounds like you're attributing your poor choices to your Dad's passing. Possibly you didn't intend it to sound that way, but that's how it came across to me. We all, you and ,I own our own mistakes. Period. Now, let's look at the mistakes. The use of
      marijuana 4-5 times is within the tolerance/experimentation policy(s) of most agencies.

Your overall Motor Vehicle History isn't good, and would result in a DQ or Non-Select with many agencies. Should you enter a hiring process, you'll be asked if you've ever committed a crime/offense/violation for which you were neither arrested or prosecuted. That's when you'll note the times you drove drunk or impaired.

Additionally, and returning to your driving history, you'll be required to list each and every time you were arrested/cited for any violation or offense. You'll need to list any citations, including dates/times/charges and disposition. This includes charges which were reduced, njol prossed, or dismissed.

Your ally here will be time. Realistically, you're looking at three to five years between your most recent arrest/citation, and your application. Do the very best job possible in your Reserve duties, and in any work or academic endeavors. You may have a chance.
      I didn't mean to attribute my decisions to my dads passing, I'll clarify. The few years after he passed I had trouble staying focused on my future and staying out of trouble. All of my decisions were made by me and I have since decided to get my head on right.

So as long as I stay out of trouble and wait until I'm in my late 20's, which will be roughly 10 years after the last offense, I shouldn't be hurt to much by my stupidity?

Comment

It's possible.

Comment

Is there anything that could help my chances? Maybe volunteering or something?

Comment

Its probably going to be late 20s before your a serious candidate. In the mean time stay out of trouble, not even a speeding ticket. Do some volunteer work, try to learn a second language (would greatly improve your stock) and you'll have a decent chance of getting hired.

Comment

Thank you for your service to our country. It sounds like you have finally got your sh*t together. Reread Philipcal's advice, it's spot on. Keep your nose clean and it may work out for you.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by cmull43 View Post
                HOW DO I IMPROVE MY CHANCES
                1. Get the top score on the written exam
                2. Get the top score on the PT test
                3. Ace the oral board
                4. Pass the MMPI
                5. Ace the psych interview
                6. Make an excellent impression when you meet the chief.
                7. Be real lucky and get hired
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Getting your head out of your @$$ was the first move. Make sure you keep it out. Completing your education will be a second. From what you have stated it appears that you may have a good work ethic as well. The next step is to prove yourself over time. I like the timeframe you are setting for yourself. Waiting until your late 20's will put plenty of time between the events in your past and the adult you look to become.
                  In God We Trust
                  Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it! With any luck I'll be able to serve along side some of y'all down the road.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5789 users online. 346 members and 5443 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X