300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wickedta View Post
    I'm trying to wear a shield again so i felt i needed to preserve some integrity and i anonymously informed my boss.
    Pump the brakes, Serpico. It's a little weed, it's not that serious. And apparently you didn't feel it was all that serious since you didn't have the stones to approach your co-worker or your boss in person about it.

Comment

Actually I did go in person to speak to my boss. I didn't write an anonymous email or letter. I requested to talk to him in private. Let him know what i found and let him make the final decision. I didn't need to ****ed off the coworker in case he didn't get fired. He already had an issue with me for other times I've given him crap for violating policy. And i wanted to make sure it stayed confidential and word didn't get out to the parents... in this place it's a bit more of a sensitive issue.

now if he were to accuse me of putting the word out about it... i won't deny it. By why make more issues then I need to.

and once again, I stand by my decision... and i asked what everyone else would do in my position... not you're judgements. And not as a LEO, but as a security officer who deal with the kids of the politicians and foreign ambassadors.

Comment

My question now is what if my post was "hey I'm trying to go back in to law enforcement... and the other day I found my coworker had weed on him at a school with yound children where we work security... instead of saying anything i just looked the other way. I'll still be a good candidate, right?"

Comment

There is no such thing as "a little" weed in a school with kids.Its drugs in a drug free zone.We arrest people for that,
          Personally i wouldnt care if he did have a medical card.Take your meds at home.

Comment

Actually I did go in person to speak to my boss. I didn't write an anonymous email or letter. I requested to talk to him in private. Let him know what i found and let him make the final decision. I didn't need to ****ed off the coworker in case he didn't get fired. He already had an issue with me for other times I've given him crap for violating policy. And i wanted to make sure it stayed confidential and word didn't get out to the parents... in this place it's a bit more of a sensitive issue.

now if he were to accuse me of putting the word out about it... i won't deny it. By why make more issues then I need to.

and once again, I stand by my decision... and i asked what everyone else would do in my position... not you're judgements. And not as a LEO, but as a security officer who deal with the kids of the politicians and foreign ambassadors.
            Bitches who are snitches get stitches and end up in ditches....

Comment

Originally posted by mookster View Post
              Bitches who are snitches get stitches and end up in ditches....
              Then sew me up.

Comment

My question now is what if my post was "hey I'm trying to go back in to law enforcement... and the other day I found my coworker had weed on him at a school with yound children where we work security... instead of saying anything i just looked the other way. I'll still be a good candidate, right?"
                Or there's the 3rd option of talking to the guy, having him dump his weed, and letting him know the 2nd time you'll talk to the boss.

I doubt the question would come up on a background. I was asked about my own undetected criminal activity and asked if I associated with any known criminals. I did. I worked construction where almost everyone smoked weed and I never turned them in. I wasn't friends with them outside of work, and it certainly didn't hamper my ability to get hired.

However, that's not why you're taking flak.

I'm trying to wear a shield again so i felt i needed to preserve some integrity and i anonymously informed my boss.

it wasn't much weed and the guy is young with a young child. Would you have looked the other way or would you have informed your superior?
                It looks like you are trying to hard. You did what you did because you want to be a cop again (sorry, I can't say "wear a shield again with a straight face), because you are still playing police, and because you are so insecure in your own decision making you need to run here and have us praise you for your actions. When it doesn't go your way, you dig in and it goes from "it wasn't much weed" to how dangerous weed is around children. Some people agree with you, many don't. That doesn't change the facts of the incident or why you did what you did.

In short:

You come across as a wannabe who was a sort-of cop for a little while and still wants to play police after losing even that, who takes criticism poorly, AND who has a desperate need for recognition. THAT's a bigger barrier to getting hired by a real police department than if you told the boss about some weed or didn't.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I don't have anything to add to the actual debate, but if I weren't LEO, and I had to deal with a bunch of rich *** snobby little brats every day? I'd probably have to self-medicate too.

Comment

I'm not looking for praise. I was asking what any of you would have done in my position. Instead it seems you all have to pass judgement. What's the point of "asking a cop" if all you get in response is negative criticism and insults? I was merely striking up conversation based on an event that occurred at my own work and I asked what you all would have done in my shoes. Doesn't mean I was looking for recognition or advice. I don't need anyone's approval to make my own decisions that I know we're right. I handle criticism just fine when it's constructive...

Comment

I'm not looking for praise. I was asking what any of you would have done in my position. Instead it seems you all have to pass judgement. What's the point of "asking a cop" if all you get in response is negative criticism and insults? I was merely striking up conversation based on an event that occurred at my own work and I asked what you all would have done in my shoes. Doesn't mean I was looking for recognition or advice. I don't need anyone's approval to make my own decisions that I know we're right. I handle criticism just fine when it's constructive...

You were given a number of answers as to what WE WOULD HAVE DONE. Those answers also gave REASONS why WE would have done this.

YOU chose to get defensive when those answers didn't go your way.

Note of course that not all answers you received were negative to your response...............and those REASONS were given as to why they would have done basically what you did.

Still YOU got defensive further (By the way I don't accept unsolicited PM's from people ---yours was deleted unread)

Cruiser Class just posted (post #37) a good summary of my thoughts are in regards to this thread...............

Also you will be criticized all throughout a career in law enforcement ................by EVERYONE from your co-workers, supervisors, administrators, prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges & both the press and the public. Much of that criticism will be MUCH harsher than what you have seen here.

Officers on this particular forum tend to not use "filters" that we must use in our professional life---------because we answer questions as real people rather than "on duty public servants". Many throw that away off duty---------& give advice that we really would like to give all the time, but are hampered by policy, procedure and Political Correctness.

On this forum you WILL receive answers --------whether you like them or not

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      I would have walked away

Snitches get stitches and you are not a cop..........................walk away
                      Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                      I've tossed so much weed in parking lots and had the owner dance on it I've lost count. It's not worth my time to run in to the property room and arrest you for something you're going to get 40 hours of community service for and continue doing regardless.

Unless someone were at risk, I'd have minded my own business. If someone was at risk of getting hurt, I'd have said something to the person involved first, if it repeated I'd go to the boss. I'm assuming no one is running a bulldozer in your office or the like, so what's the potential for harm?
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      Don't try to school me on what to do when you are NOT a cop as opposed to when you ARE ONE.

You asked what I would do in this scenario, I don't need you to preach about ethics because as a private citizen you have absolutely NO duty to do anything in that situation

Most sworn officers will tell you that when they are off duty -------------it means OFF DUTY unless a serious life threatening situation is at hand or maybe a serious felony is being committed in their presences

Like I said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would have walked away from a small amount of marijuana as a citizen.

If you want to go tell the boss--------------so be it , but don't come here asking for our advice then denigrate the answers you are given
                      Originally posted by tj05 View Post
                      Yea I'd go with this.
                      Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                      For me it depends on if this person was dealing with the children actually or mopping the floors.Would i want someone stoned teaching or around my kids or grand kids. No
                      Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                      Why did you leave LE to be a security guard?
                      Just suggest to the principal that a drug dog sweep one day might be good for morale...
                      Originally posted by ArmyVet View Post
                      Personally, if I have a problem with someone, whether or not I bring it to the attention of a supervisor, I will approach it directly. I won't put anything in writing that I wouldn't say to someone's face, and I won't take any action that has the potential to significantly affect someone's life that I won't put my name to.
                      Originally posted by rebel1916 View Post
                      Any job in LE is confrontational, but you are not able to confront a coworker over an issue you feel is important. I see that as a problem. Additionally, this is not an integrity issue, and you absolutely had the luxury to let it go. No private citizen has a duty to act regarding violations.
                      Originally posted by elchorizo View Post
                      Pump the brakes, Serpico. It's a little weed, it's not that serious. And apparently you didn't feel it was all that serious since you didn't have the stones to approach your co-worker or your boss in person about it.
                      Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                      Or there's the 3rd option of talking to the guy, having him dump his weed, and letting him know the 2nd time you'll talk to the boss.

I doubt the question would come up on a background. I was asked about my own undetected criminal activity and asked if I associated with any known criminals. I did. I worked construction where almost everyone smoked weed and I never turned them in. I wasn't friends with them outside of work, and it certainly didn't hamper my ability to get hired.

However, that's not why you're taking flak.

It looks like you are trying to hard. You did what you did because you want to be a cop again (sorry, I can't say "wear a shield again with a straight face), because you are still playing police, and because you are so insecure in your own decision making you need to run here and have us praise you for your actions. When it doesn't go your way, you dig in and it goes from "it wasn't much weed" to how dangerous weed is around children. Some people agree with you, many don't. That doesn't change the facts of the incident or why you did what you did.

In short:

You come across as a wannabe who was a sort-of cop for a little while and still wants to play police after losing even that, who takes criticism poorly, AND who has a desperate need for recognition. THAT's a bigger barrier to getting hired by a real police department than if you told the boss about some weed or didn't.
                      Originally posted by AppState View Post
                      I don't have anything to add to the actual debate, but if I weren't LEO, and I had to deal with a bunch of rich *** snobby little brats every day? I'd probably have to self-medicate too.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So i was in my office which is shared by a few others. I went in to my locker and smelled marijuana. I traced the source to an open bag belonging to a coworker that contained some marijuana...

it wasn't much weed and the guy is young with a young child. Would you have looked the other way or would you have informed your superior?

We work in a business that involves children.
                        You did what you felt was right, that's what matters. Especially with children around.
                        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

There is no such thing as "a little" weed in a school with kids.Its drugs in a drug free zone.We arrest people for that,
                          Personally i wouldnt care if he did have a medical card.Take your meds at home.
                          It's weed, not a gun. If it's little kids we're talking about, they'd have no interest/use in a bag of ganja. It's not like crack or pills where they could accidentally eat some. If it's high school kids, most of em already have better quality stuff.

Comment

Its weed. Whats the point. Its a drug free zone.So basically if he was supplying or dealing it should be ignored also because its only weed ?
                            Saying because they can get it somewhere else anyway so it shouldnt matter is about as silly as a answer as ive ever seen on a subject like this .

Comment

Meh....I don't have a problem with you feeling you should've done something....judgment calls are what cop work is all about. Some will agree with decisions you make and some won't.

The problem is that you went anonymously to your boss and did not just confront the dopehead. It appears quite plain to me that by your age and level of experience you should have rocked that engagement but instead you appear to have erectile dysfuncted it across the finish line. Trying to play the wall flower isn't what good LE is about.

Unless specifically asked about a similar or related issue during the BI.....I wouldn't bring it up.
                              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

So basically if he was supplying or dealing it should be ignored also because its only weed ?
                                Not what anyone said or what's under discussion here. The post said "a little bit" and answers here have been in response to that.

If I ignore someone speeding 2mph over, I have to ignore someone going 40mph over, too?
                                I miss you, Dave.
                                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2849 users online. 158 members and 2691 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X