300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Why did you leave LE to be a security guard?
    Just suggest to the principal that a drug dog sweep one day might be good for morale...
    Readers digest version: I started as a sworn seasonal officer, was selected mid season for full time, and after the budget forced the hiring limit from 7 down to 4 I was not chosen for the final cut. So until I get picked up by another department I was asked to worked security for a private school until another department picks me up.

bad run of luck... just didn't have enough to compete with the other guys... i was good at what i did but they earned their shields.

Comment

No sweat. Happens.

Is the doper a security guy or labor? Being its a school, the Zero Tolerance Policy would be a factor...

Comment

Oh he was security as well. And all of us share an office.

Comment

Call him on it. I would. It could impact you all. Tell him if he does it again, or smells of it, etc. you have no choice but to report it as IT IMPACTS THE SAFETY OF THE CHILDREN and the liability is huge.

But that's just me...

Comment

Spicoli with a gun.

Comment

Thats where my only dilemma came from... he was young guy, had a bit of an attitude towards me at times... seemed to avoid working alongside me most of the time. So It was I either confront him and explain how I cold smell the weed coming from his belongings and how I found the weed in plain view in our shared office and go through that argument... or just remain anonymous and go straight to my supervisor. I opted for the latter so I wouldnt be labeled a snitch among my colleagues.

I figure it was one of my few duties on this job to report these issues... Plus I have my own integrity to worry about, afterall I'm very fortunate to be working for a man who spent half his life in law enforcement and supports my endeavors to get back in the field... so I wasn't about to compromise my abilities to confidently answer questions related to a situation like this by turning my head and letting him slide by.

I don't have the luxury anymore to let the little things go.

Comment

I understand your situation. I retired and was a college professor for awhile. Part of my job was Security Director, and I had to balance Academia vs real world. I did not tolerate dope in the school. Ever.

Comment

Now that I know the parents are highly influential and very wealthy I think you did the right thing. Whew, for a minute there I thought we were talking about your average hum drum, workaday ,make a living ,regular joe ,middle class, struggling kind of people.

Comment

Sometimes I wish it was... but the fact that we cater to the influential government official political figure types around these parts makes my description far from an understatement if you can catch my drift.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                      For me it depends on if this person was dealing with the children actually or mopping the floors.Would i want someone stoned teaching or around my kids or grand kids. No
                      Caveat, unless they're teaching art, music, or pastry making.

Comment

I'm sure he knew his way around a good bowl of ice cream

Comment

Originally posted by wickedta View Post
                          So i was in my office which is shared by a few others. I went in to my locker and smelled marijuana. I traced the source to an open bag belonging to a coworker that contained some marijuana...

I'm trying to wear a shield again so i felt i needed to preserve some integrity and i anonymously informed my boss.

it wasn't much weed and the guy is young with a young child. Would you have looked the other way or would you have informed your superior?

We work in a business that involves children.
                          Maybe it's medicinal..... Does he have his medical card? If the answer to either is yes, prepare to explain why you violated his ADA rights.... Or infringed upon his hippa privacy.... Oh the can of worms opened over a little devils parsley.....

Comment

Hey you never know... i didn't confront him. I could smell the weed, I could see the weed within plain sight... i notified my boss to let him take appropriate action. I didn't violate his privacy and i didn't ask questions. I simply relayed my findings to my supervisor.

Comment

Personally, if I have a problem with someone, whether or not I bring it to the attention of a supervisor, I will approach it directly. I won't put anything in writing that I wouldn't say to someone's face, and I won't take any action that has the potential to significantly affect someone's life that I won't put my name to.
                              "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Originally posted by wickedta View Post
                                Thats where my only dilemma came from... he was young guy, had a bit of an attitude towards me at times... seemed to avoid working alongside me most of the time. So It was I either confront him and explain how I cold smell the weed coming from his belongings and how I found the weed in plain view in our shared office and go through that argument... or just remain anonymous and go straight to my supervisor. I opted for the latter so I wouldnt be labeled a snitch among my colleagues.

I figure it was one of my few duties on this job to report these issues... Plus I have my own integrity to worry about, afterall I'm very fortunate to be working for a man who spent half his life in law enforcement and supports my endeavors to get back in the field... so I wasn't about to compromise my abilities to confidently answer questions related to a situation like this by turning my head and letting him slide by.

I don't have the luxury anymore to let the little things go.
                                Any job in LE is confrontational, but you are not able to confront a coworker over an issue you feel is important. I see that as a problem. Additionally, this is not an integrity issue, and you absolutely had the luxury to let it go. No private citizen has a duty to act regarding violations.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4292 users online. 281 members and 4011 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X