300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Police officers on patrol

Hi, I am sorry if this question has been asked before. I tried to use the search function and could not get any relevant results.

I am interested in becoming a police officer and I am hoping to find a department where two officers are on patrol in the same vehicle. I know that the LA sheriff runs one person per vehicle, but the LAPD has two. I am looking for other departments not necessarily even in California but elsewhere on the West coast of the country. I am pretty sure the Seattle police department has two officers per vehicle, are there any other departments?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Originally posted by Ram21 View Post
    . I know that the LA sheriff runs one person per vehicle, but the LAPD has two..
    You have already started off with incorrect information.

Quite honestly there are hundreds of agencies that have two man cars...............and hundreds that do not
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

...and there are hundreds that run two-up in some districts but not in others.

Frankly, having backup in the side seat is nice but you have to be able to handle business on your own regardless of who you work for...
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Iowa, thank you for responding, I am sure there are hundreds, unfortunately I only have a limited view point in the country. What information should I be asking?

Also, is two man cars the correct term to be using instead?

Comment

Your demand to only work a two man car would not get you past my oral board.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
            ...and there are hundreds that run two-up in some districts but not in others.

Frankly, having backup in the side seat is nice but you have to be able to handle business on your own regardless of who you work for...
            Thank you tanksoldier, and I completely understand this. The point of training is also to do the business on your own. I want a starting point to focus on.

Comment

What information should I be asking?
              Ask Yourself: Can I handle business on my own?

If yes, then...

Ask US: What can I do to make myself more competitive and capable as a peace officer?

After you've accomplished those things....

Ask all over the place, "Who's hiring?"

The point of training is also to do the business on your own
              No, plenty of people who attend the academy find they don't have what it takes... often long after they graduate. Training can forge and sharpen what you already have, but it can't give you what you weren't born with. You'll never know for sure until the moment comes, but you need to look deep inside your soul and decide if YOU think the steel is there. If not, there's no shame in that... and if the first thing you think about is having help at your elbow, you might not have it.

I want a starting point to focus on.
              You're focusing on completely the wrong thing. Almost anything would be better than that: Pay, benefits, schedule, location, political climate... anything else.
              Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-26-2015, 10:39 PM.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                Ask Yourself: Can I handle business on my own?

If yes, then...

Ask US: What can I do to make myself more competitive and capable as a peace officer?

After you've accomplished those things....

Ask all over the place, "Who's hiring?"

No, plenty of people who attend the academy find they don't have what it takes... often long after they graduate. Training can forge and sharpen what you already have, but it can't give you what you weren't born with. You'll never know for sure until the moment comes, but you need to look deep inside your soul and decide if YOU think the steel is there. If not, there's no shame in that... and if the first thing you think about is having help at your elbow, you might not have it.

You're focusing on completely the wrong thing. Almost anything would be better than that: Pay, benefits, schedule, location, political climate... anything else.
                Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I feel like I could handle business on my own, I have thought long and hard on this, however I don't know for sure. Like you said, most people who graduate don't know if they have what it takes. The first thing that I thought of was not having help at my side. This was the one question that I have not been able to find on these forums, probably because it is a silly question to start asking and should have been asked after I have been on the forums as a member for longer.

In determining if I have what it takes, do you think that a ride-along help in this regard? Or, is this just something that happens to occur when you are already out in the field?
                Last edited by Ram21; 01-26-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Self reliance is huge in this profession. YOu post reads like you wish to rely on you your partner for your safety. Big no-no.

Comment

Don't be a cop. Do yourself and your partners that favor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram21 View Post
                      Thank you tanksoldier, and I completely understand this. The point of training is also to do the business on your own. I want a starting point to focus on.
                      Ok, hold the phone, let's clarify something.

Every department worth being called a department has you ride with an experienced officer when you first start. Generally called an FTO (Field Training Officer) these officers are trained to train you. After the academy you will ride with one or more, likely for a few months to half a year, to learn on the job.

After that, you're probably going to be on your own.

So, if you're asking "who has two man cars while you are new" the answer is almost everyone. If you're asking "who routinely has two man cars" then you'll probably need a time machine, because fewer and fewer places have the manpower for that. The only time out of training I've been in a two man car is certain details and overtime gigs.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

OPSpecifically asked for two man car agencies. Not during training.

Comment

Keep in mind, even if you find this department with two man cars, that policy could easily change. The chief may simply decide to go to one man cars.
                          Personally, I like being alone. From time to time I'll ride two man while working a specific detail, but generally I work alone and like it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                            OPSpecifically asked for two man car agencies. Not during training.
                            Yeah, and post #8 talks about after graduation. Hence the "let's clarify" before we start jumping his *** and telling him to not be a cop. People who aren't cops don't always know exactly how to ask what they want, since they don't know what they don't know.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

If you think this poster is that great, I hope he works with you.
                              It's easy to post the correct question. It's harder to face the truth. It's even harder to admit you jumped the gun...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5471 users online. 301 members and 5170 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X