Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start becoming a police officer?

Yes I realized I posted this in the wrong section so I would like to see some answers from here. Okay so I am in college going for a bachelors degree in business (Probably in accounting or finance.) So far, I am almost done getting my associates in business. So here are my top 5 questions I have on becoming a police officer.

1.) Should I apply to departments right now? Or after I get my associates? Or after my bachelors or what?

2.) What do you recommend for me to do in order to have a better chance of getting hired? Besides of course getting a bachelors degree. (Aka volunteer programs, ride alongs with police officers, recommendations from teachers etc)

3.) Will joining volunteer programs like a emergency management department give me an edge when applying? There is one by my house but you really have to devote your time for it and I work and go to school and really don't have time for something like that. But would it be worth doing? Does it really give you that extra edge?

4.) How exactly does it work when "applying" to become a police officer? You send a request to a department you wish to join or what? Or must you find an academy first or what exactly?

5.) Last but not least, what exactly is a internship and how do I go about getting one? I have an idea of what it is but still a little confused on what it is and what it can do for you.

I really appreciate any answers to my questions. Thanks for your time!

The responses won't change from here

http://forums.officer.com/t197633/
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by craftspace234 View Post
      Yes I realized I posted this in the wrong section so I would like to see some answers from here. Okay so I am in college going for a bachelors degree in business (Probably in accounting or finance.) So far, I am almost done getting my associates in business. So here are my top 5 questions I have on becoming a police officer.

1.) Should I apply to departments right now? Or after I get my associates? Or after my bachelors or what?

2.) What do you recommend for me to do in order to have a better chance of getting hired? Besides of course getting a bachelors degree. (Aka volunteer programs, ride alongs with police officers, recommendations from teachers etc)

3.) Will joining volunteer programs like a emergency management department give me an edge when applying? There is one by my house but you really have to devote your time for it and I work and go to school and really don't have time for something like that. But would it be worth doing? Does it really give you that extra edge?

4.) How exactly does it work when "applying" to become a police officer? You send a request to a department you wish to join or what? Or must you find an academy first or what exactly?

5.) Last but not least, what exactly is a internship and how do I go about getting one? I have an idea of what it is but still a little confused on what it is and what it can do for you.

The answers aren't going to change.

Comment

To the OP: Did your mother have any kids that lived?
        Originally posted by RSGSRT
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Don't be above 40-years-old.
          "I cannot consent to place in the control of others one who cannot control himself."

- Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by craftspace234 View Post

1) Why would anyone hire you now? What experience or skill do you bring to the table? If the answer is "none" then no. If you have language skills, maybe. If you have military, maybe.

2) Learn Spanish. Or ASL.

3) If you don't have time, who cares if it will help? If you can't do it, you can't do it.

4) Generally you look for who's hiring, put in an application, and go through a lengthy process.

5) Ask your campus student advisor. Internships are generally set up through an educational institution.

Bonus answer: Stop asking the same question in multiple forums.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Education is very important. I agree with Cruiser, a second or third language is a huge plus. Don't limit yourself to one specific dept. Talk to an advisor (as cruise suggested) regarding an internship. Good luck to you
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5044 users online. 170 members and 4874 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X